+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residence Questionnaire after Citizenship Test

tester99

Dec 29, 2013
Hi All,

I am a Canadian citizen, I was born in Canada, as were my parents.

My common law partner has been on the road to citizenship for the past few years. I've been with her for the last three years. She has met all the requirements for citizenship, after being double checked my the agent at the CIC centre nearby where we live. She wrote her citizenship exam in September (I assume she passed - speaks perfect english and has lived here for five years).

We never heard anything from CIC after she wrote her exam (she said she did great on it). Suddenly, right around Christmas time, she was sent something called a residence questionnaire. CIC is asking for a crazy amount of information. A lot of the forms and documentation they want no longer exist (they want statements from bank accounts, old landlords, etc). We essentially severed ties with our old landlords due to their irresponsible behaviour, and we don't have copies of the old statements. To make matters worst the CIC agent only gave us 45 days (factor in the fact that it was issues just before the CHRISTMAS BREAK, so more like 30 days) to get all documentation.

Our old closed bank account is accessible, but the bank claims they're going to charge us retroactively for every month we need (back to 2008 = roughly 600 dollars CAD).

I don't know what to say. On the CIC website for her file there is nothing about an RQ (the RQ came from the local CIC centre). They didn't tell us where to send back the completed RQ either.

My better half has done everything that was required of her in order to prove that she was here for the required amount of time. Some of the forms and documentation they want are no longer accessible, or have been already sent in to CIC. She is a working Permanent resident, not a temporary foreign worker, not a refugee, a NORMAL person with a Canadian university education.

Why does my partner have to do an RQ if she has fulfilled requirements, passed the exam, and already proven her residence in Canada? They give us no reason as to why she is RQ'd, no return address as to where to send the RQ, and no documentation on her CIC file online that she has even been RQ'd.

I am upset beyond words. She has roughly one year remaining on her PR. I am worried that if she does not receive her citizenship before that date that they will make her leave. I was once a proud, patriotic Canadian but after this I really don't feel the same way about my country. I was taught that people are treated equal in Canada, and that if one abides by the law and works hard they can go places and do things. It was all a dillusion unfortunately. Canada is no longer a nation representing equality. It is now a haven for the super-rich and elite. I read online somewhere that a citizenship can actually be bought by citizens of the PRC if they are willing to invest at least a million USD into Canada.

Absolutely distraught. My advice to potential immigrants to Canada? Unless your a millionaire stay where you are.

Yolka

Mar 28, 2013
tester99 said:
Hi All,

My common law partner has been on the road to citizenship for the past few years. I've been with her for the last three years. She has met all the requirements for citizenship, after being double checked my the agent at the CIC centre nearby where we live. She wrote her citizenship exam in September (I assume she passed - speaks perfect english and has lived here for five years).

We never heard anything from CIC after she wrote her exam (she said she did great on it). Suddenly, right around Christmas time, she was sent something called a residence questionnaire. CIC is asking for a crazy amount of information. A lot of the forms and documentation they want no longer exist (they want statements from bank accounts, old landlords, etc). We essentially severed ties with our old landlords due to their irresponsible behaviour, and we don't have copies of the old statements. To make matters worst the CIC agent only gave us 45 days (factor in the fact that it was issues just before the CHRISTMAS BREAK, so more like 30 days) to get all documentation.

Our old closed bank account is accessible, but the bank claims they're going to charge us retroactively for every month we need (back to 2008 = roughly 600 dollars CAD).

I don't know what to say. On the CIC website for her file there is nothing about an RQ (the RQ came from the local CIC centre). They didn't tell us where to send back the completed RQ either.

My better half has done everything that was required of her in order to prove that she was here for the required amount of time. Some of the forms and documentation they want are no longer accessible, or have been already sent in to CIC. She is a working Permanent resident, not a temporary foreign worker, not a refugee, a NORMAL person with a Canadian university education.

Why does my partner have to do an RQ if she has fulfilled requirements, passed the exam, and already proven her residence in Canada? They give us no reason as to why she is RQ'd, no return address as to where to send the RQ, and no documentation on her CIC file online that she has even been RQ'd.

I am upset beyond words. She has roughly one year remaining on her PR. I am worried that if she does not receive her citizenship before that date that they will make her leave. I was once a proud, patriotic Canadian but after this I really don't feel the same way about my country. I was taught that people are treated equal in Canada, and that if one abides by the law and works hard they can go places and do things. It was all a dillusion unfortunately. Canada is no longer a nation representing equality. It is now a haven for the super-rich and elite. I read online somewhere that a citizenship can actually be bought by citizens of the PRC if they are willing to invest at least a million USD into Canada.

Absolutely distraught. My advice to potential immigrants to Canada? Unless your a millionaire stay where you are.
Hi tester99,

Sorry about the RQ. Unfortunately many applicants receive RQ these days. It takes 25 months for Routine Applicants (with no RQ or other requests), and 35 months for applicants with RQ (Non Routine applicants). Regretfully, routine applicants can go beyond 25 months and the same for applicants with RQ, can go beyond 35 months (if you wife is very lucky she can be done quickly). Also depends on you local office, some are exceptionally quick and some are way too slow, Windsor is the Winner so far.

Please see this link re RQ, it explains everything. http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com/?s=GCSt&submit=Search

All the best to your wife. I do understand your frustration. Just to let you know that there are many applicants with RQ and unfortunately it often takes much longer to process applications with RQ. Good luck!

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tester99, most importantly, take you time until deadline and don't rush with sending response now, importance of RQ and submitting a good response based on understanding (it takes some time) of what they want and possible consequences is likely more significant that you could assume initially. Deadline is 45 business days (i.e. about 2 months), and there's a grace period of 7 days, but you're not told about that directly.

She will have to prove physical presence in Canada through a general context (a history of life in Canada, assessed from the form) and 2 classes of support documents-- travel-related documents and documents related to physical presence and actual activity. It took me some time to comprehend where they're coming from in their RQ docs assessment and why even perfect travel records are not nearly enough to prove presence. Very important to be accurate in RQ form, because loss of credibility can undermine a case significantly.

Documents assessment works like this in a general case, as I understand:

1) declared absence dates must be confirmed with the travel documents first (passport stamps/visas, CBSA/US CBP records of movement, records of movement from your country, if available, tickets/boarding passes, itineraries and reservations). It's better not to mix up or have any credibility issues here. Also, CIC never assumes that travel documents are 100% complete and accurate and reflect all absences. Therefore:

2) for the supposed periods of presence (let's call them "candidate periods") one would have to prove that (s)he has been physically present with documents indicating activity in Canada, such as related to work, attending school or other organizations, rent, doctor visits, bill payments, etc. Quality of the documents in "candidate periods" is important. If one has a solid proof, the case will likely be rather easily approved w/o a hearing or requests for additional documents.

Check this helpful site: http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com/ and another forum, in particular "RQ discussions." and "Residency: tests, proof, practice, policy" topics. That forum is more focused and informative on Citizenship and RQ issues than this one.

Yolka

Mar 28, 2013
tester99 said:
Hi All,

Oh, and one more thing. Nobody will make her leave, do not worry about her PR, she can renew it whenever she wants (if she is not travelling outside of Canada then she does not really need to renew it). She can renew her PR anytime within 6 months of expire date.

Yolka

Mar 28, 2013
canmanottawa said:
Hey guys
are there different types of RQs? i saw two different types of them online
Hm...I know of only one citizenship RQ and I heard of the PR renewal RQ (have not seen that one) but I am not sure if the citizenship RQ has two different versions!!!

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tester99 said:
CIC is asking for a crazy amount of information. A lot of the forms and documentation they want no longer exist (they want statements from bank accounts, old landlords, etc). We essentially severed ties with our old landlords due to their irresponsible behaviour, and we don't have copies of the old statements. To make matters worst the CIC agent only gave us 45 days (factor in the fact that it was issues just before the CHRISTMAS BREAK, so more like 30 days) to get all documentation.

1st you need to determine which documents are really needed for response (construct a response), then you'd need to make efforts to restore missing evidence, even if it would cost.

tester99 said:
RQ with supporting docs is sent back to local office, this should be in a cover letter though.

tester99 said:

It doesn't matter though. Condition to become a citizen is to live in Canada for 3 out of 4 years and while CIC may "believe" most of the applicants based on mere declarations in their forms (no RQ), they can also request proof of what's been claimed from some. There are various criteria that put some applicants in risk groups, so CIC would like to see verification of claims backed by documentation, sort of audit.

tester99 said:
I am upset beyond words. She has roughly one year remaining on her PR. I am worried that if she does not receive her citizenship before that date that they will make her leave.
PR card expiration date has nothing to do with right to be a resident in Canada, it's just a card to be renewed. Conditions to remain resident is to be living 2 years out of last 5 (from the current date back) in Canada.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tester99 said:

We never heard anything from CIC after she wrote her exam (she said she did great on it). Suddenly, right around Christmas time, she was sent something called a residence questionnaire. CIC is asking for a crazy amount of information.
On a different note, is it possible for you to scan this form and upload it somewhere? With removing of all personal data of course. Then it would be posted here: http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com/cic-documents/

Nobody saw a recently renewed RQ form (CIT 0171 (10-2013) E) as it has not been published by anyone yet, so it's currently impossible to tell exact wording and changes in requirements of the new form. Would be much appreciated.

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tester99 said:
Hi All,

If her PR card expires, she can easily renew it. You should not have to worry about it. Many of us here renewed PR.
On the letter they sent you, there should be an address, you should check. I can be wrong.
You said "the RQ came from the local CIC centre", that the address you should look into.
Again, many of us have fulfilled residency and still get RQ. I have stayed here 11 years with university and post graduate from Canadian university and I got RQ request from local office.
Just prepare as much document as you could, send them with a letter of explaining why you dont have the rest.
I also paid 300 for my bank statements. Since then I started collecting all of my pdf banking information monthly and save them in my e-mail.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tester99,

Hopefully you see that your case is not unique. The RQ is issued if CIC are unable to verify/confirm your residence or because your file has been selected for quality assurance/ program integrity reasons. Triggers for RQ include unemployment/ self employment with travel in the 4 year qualifying period.

You could in addition to sending the required documentation consider applying for a copy of your notes held on file by CIC on the GCMS (Global Case Management System) database. This application is via the ATIP process which is on the CIC website (regrettably the site is a mess now its attached to the Government of Canada website largess). This ATIP may or may show why there was an RQ issued though some triggers as I mentioned are known. Does your partner have extensive travel to the US? Was she self employed/unemployed with travel at any time in the 4 year period? Are her entries/ exits matched with passport stamps? Did she apply with 1095 days of physical presence?

Good luck

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canmanottawa said:
Hey if someone was unemployed for a few months within 4 years period... and he didnt travel.. does that mean RQ?
Under the triage criteria obtained in the public domain its not RQ trigger but anything that could 'hide' absences IMHO is a potential trigger. Its easier to hide absences when you are unemployed/ self employed than if you are employed in Canada in a job that requires your physical presence e.g. a bus driver for say a minimum 40 hours per week and for which you are paid by a method that has proof of remuneration such as direct deposit and for which CPP/ EI/ Taxes have been deducted, a T4 issued and Notice of Assessment/Option C printout obtained.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC will look at the overall specifics of your case so no point speculating what will calm them or not as no one on the forum has the totality of your application at their disposal.