Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Thanks, i should have mentioned, im not travelling to India, i am going to dominican republic for a few days.
What should be done in this case?
If you're traveling to Dominican then just apply for regular passport in person to be safe. You should be fine to travel on 12/31. Dominican doesn't need any visa to enter the country if you hold Canadian passport

lovedeepsingh

Oct 15, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
IELTS Request
25-12-2013
Med's Done....
30-1-2014
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2014
LANDED..........
2 Aug 2014
The regular passport process, after you proceed with the oath as scheduled.

More knowledgeable people will correct me if I’m wrong, but I think you need to only be concerned with OCI if you originally had an Indian passport and wish to travel to India after naturalization/acquistion of a different citizenship.
I am not concerned about OCI, i am just concerned about getting the certificate in a week and then passport before 30 dec.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
The regular passport process, after you proceed with the oath as scheduled.

More knowledgeable people will correct me if I’m wrong, but I think you need to only be concerned with OCI if you originally had an Indian passport and wish to travel to India after naturalization/acquistion of a different citizenship.
Yup. OCI is something similar to Permanent Residence in India except there is no physical presence requirement AND there is no need to renew OCI every 5 years. It is valid for a lifetime and you'll have to update your details on the OCI portal once after you renew your Canadian passport after you are 20 years old (if you are younger than 20 now) and once again after you're 50 years old AFAIK.

@lovedeepsingh => You'll certainly need a Canadian passport to get back to Canada from the Dominican Republic. If you are staying there only for a few days, you won't have time to apply and get a Canadian passport there. My recommendation would be to wait until you receive your Canadian passport and then travel. Book an appointment once you get your citizenship certificate, apply for Express Service (Express Pickup), get your passport and then fly. All the best!

Good luck!

Reactions: bellaluna

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
Yup. OCI is something similar to Permanent Residence in India except there is no physical presence requirement AND there is no need to renew OCI every 5 years. It is valid for a lifetime and you'll have to update your details on the OCI portal once after you renew your Canadian passport after you are 20 years old (if you are younger than 20 now) and once again after you're 50 years old AFAIK.

@lovedeepsingh => You'll certainly need a Canadian passport to get back to Canada from the Dominican Republic. If you are staying there only for a few days, you won't have time to apply and get a Canadian passport there. My recommendation would be to wait until you receive your Canadian passport and then travel. Book an appointment once you get your citizenship certificate, apply for Express Service (Express Pickup), get your passport and then fly. All the best!

Good luck!
A question Raj, Is it possible to apply for passport outside of canada ? how practical is that? does embassies scrutinize those who apply for canadian passoport for first time from outside country? and if for some reason the person who applies does not get it then how will he be able to return to canada in future?

Shearonk

Nov 1, 2021
I should’ve read this thread before rescheduling mine but I already did. Though my timelines for travel were tighter (my oath was scheduled for Nov 10th and I was booked for international travel on Nov 22). They’ve responded saying when I’m back in the country to send them proof (boarding pass) and they will reschedule my oth at that time. Any idea on how long I could wait for another oath ceremony date once I’m back? Anyone have experience with rescheduling lately? Mine is at the Mississauga office.

ac_2018

Nov 13, 2018
When requesting to reschedule oath, is it possible to request a specific time frame you know you'll be back in Canada? My email from IRCC says when I return, email them so they'll reschedule. They didn't ask for any proof though. Have anyone request a time frame and get the oath they requested?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
When requesting to reschedule oath, is it possible to request a specific time frame you know you'll be back in Canada? My email from IRCC says when I return, email them so they'll reschedule. They didn't ask for any proof though. Have anyone request a time frame and get the oath they requested?
Unfortunately that's really not possible. Once you have returned to Canada, let IRCC know and they will rebook at time for you.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I should’ve read this thread before rescheduling mine but I already did. Though my timelines for travel were tighter (my oath was scheduled for Nov 10th and I was booked for international travel on Nov 22). They’ve responded saying when I’m back in the country to send them proof (boarding pass) and they will reschedule my oth at that time. Any idea on how long I could wait for another oath ceremony date once I’m back? Anyone have experience with rescheduling lately? Mine is at the Mississauga office.
My guess it is another 3-4 months after you return.

Member123

Nov 1, 2021
Hello, I am in a bit of fix here.
My online tracker is showing oath date of 23 of november, i haven’t received any e-mail yet for the confirmation as they only send a few days before the oath date.
Now i have booked vacation for new years 31 december- 4 January 2022, already paid for and non refundable.

If i take the oath, would i be able to travel?
If not, can i reschedule the oath, i dont care if it comes in 3-4 months?
If i can reschedule, should i do it now via the webform or do i have to wait till i get the email.

Thanks
Same case here, I'm schedule to take my oath on Nov 19 but I have my ticket already that's paid and non refundable on Dec.1. I'm thinking what should I do, or hoping I get some help and answers here thank you.

Shearonk

Nov 1, 2021
My guess it is another 3-4 months after you return.
That wouldn’t be too bad. I just hope it’s not after my PR expires at the end of April. Do you know anyone who has rescheduled recently?

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
That wouldn’t be too bad. I just hope it’s not after my PR expires at the end of April. Do you know anyone who has rescheduled recently?
I know people have rescheduled, but no one reported when they got their invite back. I suppose no enough time has passed to reschedule them.

justanotherguy28

Star Member
Sep 28, 2021
Rescheduling is probably going be as subjective as it gets and will probably vary quite a bit based on the office and the officer. It's possible others' rescheduling experience might not be indicative at all.

It basically comes down to a cost-benefit calculation: If your plane ticket is, say, a thousand dollars, assuming your trip is discretionary and not urgent, are you able to live with this uncertainty for the thousand dollars? The answer is yes for some, no for others depending on their personal circumstances.

But from others experience, PR renewal appears to be smooth - if it comes to that.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Rescheduling is probably going be as subjective as it gets and will probably vary quite a bit based on the office and the officer. It's possible others' rescheduling experience might not be indicative at all.

It basically comes down to a cost-benefit calculation: If your plane ticket is, say, a thousand dollars, assuming your trip is discretionary and not urgent, are you able to live with this uncertainty for the thousand dollars? The answer is yes for some, no for others depending on their personal circumstances.

But from others experience, PR renewal appears to be smooth - if it comes to that.
PR renewal takes about 4 months these days if they mailed the card to you. Some people are selected for in-person pickup from the local office, which may take up to 18 months to be give an appointment to pick it up.

justanotherguy28

Star Member
Sep 28, 2021
PR renewal takes about 4 months these days if they mailed the card to you. Some people are selected for in-person pickup from the local office, which may take up to 18 months to be give an appointment to pick it up.
Yep, I see it.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-card-new-renewal-processing-timeline-2021.724984/

I think I wasn't up to date on the PR renewal timelines.

Btw, how do they pick people for office pickup? Isn't it only for applicants whom IRCC suspects is not in the country, or do they also do it for people with established history?

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Yep, I see it.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-card-new-renewal-processing-timeline-2021.724984/

I think I wasn't up to date on the PR renewal timelines.

Btw, how do they pick people for office pickup? Isn't it only for applicants whom IRCC suspects is not in the country, or do they also do it for people with established history?
At first I thought because some applicants are close to the cutoff in terms of the physical presence or don't meet their RO, but then saw people who meet the requirement with a good buffer are selected as well. Not sure why. Someone was invited to pickup their card after 18 months from applying (I believe their RO was met by accompanying a Canadian citizen outside), and they didn't ask for anything other than an identification, name, and birthdate!! I thought they would check the passport pages, but they didn't. I am not sure why they send the cards to the local office then