30-1-2014
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2014
LANDED..........
2 Aug 2014
Hello, I am in a bit of fix here.
My online tracker is showing oath date of 23 of november, i haven’t received any e-mail yet for the confirmation as they only send a few days before the oath date.
Now i have booked vacation for new years 31 december- 4 January 2022, already paid for and non refundable.

If i take the oath, would i be able to travel?
If not, can i reschedule the oath, i dont care if it comes in 3-4 months?
If i can reschedule, should i do it now via the webform or do i have to wait till i get the email.

Thanks

lovedeepsingh

Oct 15, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
IELTS Request
25-12-2013
Med's Done....
30-1-2014
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2014
LANDED..........
2 Aug 2014
Ravens!
I will be traveling outside Canada

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
My online tracker is showing oath date of 23 of november, i haven’t received any e-mail yet for the confirmation as they only send a few days before the oath date.
Now i have booked vacation for new years 31 december- 4 January 2022, already paid for and non refundable.

If i can reschedule, should i do it now via the webform or do i have to wait till i get the email.

Thanks
Well the timing is a bit tight, but barring any more lockdowns, you can get your certificate and apply for a Canadian pasport in time to take your trip.

Go ahead with the oath in November.

Certificate arrives in 1 week or earlier (can be arranged for overnight delivery or even pick-up next day).

If you apply in person at a Passport Office you can opt for Express service in a few business days.

Possible to get a Canadian passport before November ends, or early December.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hapique

lovedeepsingh

Oct 15, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
IELTS Request
25-12-2013
Med's Done....
30-1-2014
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2014
LANDED..........
2 Aug 2014
Well the timing is a bit tight, but barring any more lockdowns, you can get your certificate and apply for a Canadian pasport in time to take your trip.

Go ahead with the oath in November.

Certificate arrives in 1 week or earlier (can be arranged for overnight delivery or even pick-up next day).

If you apply in person at a Passport Office you can opt for Express service in a few business days.

Possible to get a Canadian passport before November ends, or early December.
Thanks for the reply.
When i called CIC they said the certificate arrives in 6-8 weeks, would i have to fill any form or just ask them during my oath that if i can get the certificate next day?

Also the passport offices are only working with appointments in person.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thanks for the reply.
When i called CIC they said the certificate arrives in 6-8 weeks, would i have to fill any form or just ask them during my oath that if i can get the certificate next day?

Also the passport offices are only working with appointments in person.
6-8 weeks is a very conservative and broad estimate, but it does depend per office.

No form. You arrange this with the oath officer on the day of your oath.

I’m aware of the appointment system. You should be able to indicate your December 31 travel in the form and they will schedule you accordingly. In-person is still way faster than mail.

Might be wishful thinking to expect walk-ins to be available in November since it’s close to the holiday season.

lovedeepsingh

Oct 15, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
IELTS Request
25-12-2013
Med's Done....
30-1-2014
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2014
LANDED..........
2 Aug 2014
Are there any chances that oath officer might not agree to the fast process?

Okay, i am in Niagara and i think walkins arent bad here as the reviews say the same.

lovedeepsingh

Oct 15, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
IELTS Request
25-12-2013
Med's Done....
30-1-2014
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2014
LANDED..........
2 Aug 2014
Not that I heard of, but prearranged travel is usually a valid reason.
Also, if the tracker states 23 november for Oath, then it would be on that day or they could send a different date in email?
Thanks

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Also, if the tracker states 23 november for Oath, then it would be on that day or they could send a different date in email?
Thanks
nope. It’s pretty precise. The email will give you an exact time as well.
Also apply in person. Mention travel dates and carry proof of travel bookings in case for in person appointment. You should easily get your passport in a week

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015

Thanks
I'll assume you are traveling to India.

1. You'll receive an email only about 1 - 2 weeks before the ceremony.
2. Where are you traveling to? If you are traveling to India, you'll either have to get an OCI or an entry visa (make sure entry visa holders are allowed to enter the country, I'm not sure about this). You'll have to surrender your Indian passport to apply for either OCI or a visa. And you'll also need a Canadian passport to apply for OCI / Visa.
3. Given your timeline, it would be close to impossible to get your OCI before you travel.
4. You can travel to India on an Indian passport but you need a Canadian passport to get back to Canada.
5. You might be able to get your entry visa just in time but can't be sure.
5. There is something you can do but it is a bit complicated (if you are traveling to India)

Take oath > Get citizenship certificate > Travel to India on Indian passport > Get Canadian Passport > Get a visa to Dubai on your Indian passport and travel to Dubai > When you are at Dubai, show your Canadian Passport and get a visa-on-arrival entry > Book a ticket from Dubai to Canada (Toronto, Vancouver etc) and fly to Canada on your Canadian Passport > Surrender your Indian passport and pay a penalty (approx $200) and apply for OCI

This way, there is no risk of you missing the trip but you'll pay that penalty as mentioned.

lovedeepsingh

Oct 15, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
IELTS Request
25-12-2013
Med's Done....
30-1-2014
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2014
LANDED..........
2 Aug 2014
I'll assume you are traveling to India.

1. You'll receive an email only about 1 - 2 weeks before the ceremony.
2. Where are you traveling to? If you are traveling to India, you'll either have to get an OCI or an entry visa (make sure entry visa holders are allowed to enter the country, I'm not sure about this). You'll have to surrender your Indian passport to apply for either OCI or a visa. And you'll also need a Canadian passport to apply for OCI / Visa.
3. Given your timeline, it would be close to impossible to get your OCI before you travel.
4. You can travel to India on an Indian passport but you need a Canadian passport to get back to Canada.
5. You might be able to get your entry visa just in time but can't be sure.
5. There is something you can do but it is a bit complicated (if you are traveling to India)

Take oath > Get citizenship certificate > Travel to India on Indian passport > Get Canadian Passport > Get a visa to Dubai on your Indian passport and travel to Dubai > When you are at Dubai, show your Canadian Passport and get a visa-on-arrival entry > Book a ticket from Dubai to Canada (Toronto, Vancouver etc) and fly to Canada on your Canadian Passport > Surrender your Indian passport and pay a penalty (approx $200) and apply for OCI

This way, there is no risk of you missing the trip but you'll pay that penalty as mentioned.
Thanks, i should have mentioned, im not travelling to India, i am going to dominican republic for a few days.
What should be done in this case?

lovedeepsingh

Oct 15, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
IELTS Request
25-12-2013
Med's Done....
30-1-2014
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2014
LANDED..........
2 Aug 2014
nope. It’s pretty precise. The email will give you an exact time as well.
Also apply in person. Mention travel dates and carry proof of travel bookings in case for in person appointment. You should easily get your passport in a week
Ill do that

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thanks, i should have mentioned, im not travelling to India, i am going to dominican republic for a few days.
What should be done in this case?
The regular passport process, after you proceed with the oath as scheduled.

More knowledgeable people will correct me if I’m wrong, but I think you need to only be concerned with OCI if you originally had an Indian passport and wish to travel to India after naturalization/acquistion of a different citizenship.

Last edited:
Reactions: rajkamalmohanram