+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rescheduling the oath ceremony

footyluv

Star Member
Jan 11, 2016
I'll assume you are traveling to India.

1. You'll receive an email only about 1 - 2 weeks before the ceremony.
2. Where are you traveling to? If you are traveling to India, you'll either have to get an OCI or an entry visa (make sure entry visa holders are allowed to enter the country, I'm not sure about this). You'll have to surrender your Indian passport to apply for either OCI or a visa. And you'll also need a Canadian passport to apply for OCI / Visa.
3. Given your timeline, it would be close to impossible to get your OCI before you travel.
4. You can travel to India on an Indian passport but you need a Canadian passport to get back to Canada.
5. You might be able to get your entry visa just in time but can't be sure.
5. There is something you can do but it is a bit complicated (if you are traveling to India)

Take oath > Get citizenship certificate > Travel to India on Indian passport > Get Canadian Passport > Get a visa to Dubai on your Indian passport and travel to Dubai > When you are at Dubai, show your Canadian Passport and get a visa-on-arrival entry > Book a ticket from Dubai to Canada (Toronto, Vancouver etc) and fly to Canada on your Canadian Passport > Surrender your Indian passport and pay a penalty (approx $200) and apply for OCI

This way, there is no risk of you missing the trip but you'll pay that penalty as mentioned.
@rajkamalmohanram

Can you clarify on the "penalty"? I thought we have a 3-month grace period (after acquiring foreign citizenship) within which we can use Indian passport for travel. I hope there are no changes on this 3-month grace period rule.

Is the penalty applicable if we already have the Canada/Foreign passport?

Is the penalty applicable if we just have the Canada/Foreign citizenship certificate?

Thanks