+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rescheduling the oath ceremony

Shearonk

Nov 1, 2021
I know people have rescheduled, but no one reported when they got their invite back. I suppose no enough time has passed to reschedule them.
Thanks so much! I’ll definitely report mine back based on when my timelines when I know more.

justanotherguy28

Star Member
Sep 28, 2021
Someone was invited to pickup their card after 18 months from applying (I believe their RO was met by accompanying a Canadian citizen outside)
This might be the same case but there's one discussed in the federal docket where - if I'm remembering the facts correctly - the Chinese mother of a Canadian citizen/resident gave her daughter's Vancouver address for her PR card but IRCC delayed the approval for a long time for whatever reason (they also got to know the beneficiary is in China). When they eventually decided to send the PR card, they sent it to the Vancouver office for pickup (which was closed for all in-person services due to COVID) but then when the office eventually opened up, the beneficiary had only 12 or so days to pick up her PR card but she would've been required to quarantine for 14 days upon entering the country making it physically impossible for her to get her card.

Given the unusually tacky nature of this transaction I thought they're trying to strictly enforce the relatively recent rule the PR card card can only be obtained while being inside the country. But there could be other reasons as well.

abhy123

Feb 26, 2016
Well the timing is a bit tight, but barring any more lockdowns, you can get your certificate and apply for a Canadian pasport in time to take your trip.

Go ahead with the oath in November.

Certificate arrives in 1 week or earlier (can be arranged for overnight delivery or even pick-up next day).

If you apply in person at a Passport Office you can opt for Express service in a few business days.

Possible to get a Canadian passport before November ends, or early December.
Hey
Certificate arrives in 1 week or earlier (can be arranged for overnight delivery or even pick-up next day)- Is this possible? As My situation is very tight with timelines. I am scheduled for oath on 24th November and I am flying to India on 25th Nov. In this situation can I request to pick up Citizenship Certificate the next day? My office is Scarborough. Any advice would really help me out. Please advise.

Qazi 0900

Nov 3, 2021
Hello,
My online tracker is showing oath date of 17th of november, i haven’t received any e-mail yet for the confirmation as they only send a few days before the oath date.
Now i have booked vacation starting from December 4th to January 14th 2022, already paid for and non refundable.

If i take the oath, would i be able to travel?
If not, can i reschedule the oath, i dont care if it comes in 3-4 months?
If i can reschedule, should i do it now via the webform or do i have to wait till i get the email.

Thanks

GustaElg14

Star Member
Dec 11, 2015
Hello,
My online tracker is showing oath date of 17th of november, i haven’t received any e-mail yet for the confirmation as they only send a few days before the oath date.
Now i have booked vacation starting from December 4th to January 14th 2022, already paid for and non refundable.

If i take the oath, would i be able to travel?
If not, can i reschedule the oath, i dont care if it comes in 3-4 months?
If i can reschedule, should i do it now via the webform or do i have to wait till i get the email.

Thanks

I have the same question. Waiting for my oath and travelling on Dec/Jan. I imagine there must be a way to get a document to travel if the passport is not ready??

ahmed29s

Star Member
Jul 13, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have the same question. Waiting for my oath and travelling on Dec/Jan. I imagine there must be a way to get a document to travel if the passport is not ready??
I am on the same boat. Perhaps my oath will take place before the date I will depart! Can anyone please suggest/share their experience?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am on the same boat. Perhaps my oath will take place before the date I will depart! Can anyone please suggest/share their experience?
Assuming you are flying and not traveling to the US by car, you can use your home country passport to leave Canada but will need a Canadian passport to return to Canada. You'll want to make sure you have enough time outside of Canada to get the Canadian passport.

ahmed29s

Star Member
Jul 13, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Assuming you are flying and not traveling to the US by car, you can use your home country passport to leave Canada but will need a Canadian passport to return to Canada. You'll want to make sure you have enough time outside of Canada to get the Canadian passport.
Thanks. Actually I talked to agent over the phone and I have to reschedule my oath ceremony as it will take some time to receive the citizenship certificate and then application for passport. I am still waiting for the invitation email, once received, i will let the IRCC officer know and request for rescheduling.

Reactions: scylla

GustaElg14

Star Member
Dec 11, 2015
Thanks. Actually I talked to agent over the phone and I have to reschedule my oath ceremony as it will take some time to receive the citizenship certificate and then application for passport. I am still waiting for the invitation email, once received, i will let the IRCC officer know and request for rescheduling.

so there's no way to get the passport while outside Canada???

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
so there's no way to get the passport while outside Canada???
There is. You have to carry your citizenship certificate and apply for passport in a Canadian consulate in the country you are traveling to. However, these applications might take a while to be processed so unless you are staying in that country for a while, you can't use this option.

ahmed29s

Star Member
Jul 13, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is. You have to carry your citizenship certificate and apply for passport in a Canadian consulate in the country you are traveling to. However, these applications might take a while to be processed so unless you are staying in that country for a while, you can't use this option.
Getting citizenship certificate on time is the key. Cause a passport can be issued by one day. In my case, I have to wait for uncertain times to get the citizenship certificate, hence, prefer to reschedule.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

GustaElg14

Star Member
Dec 11, 2015
Getting citizenship certificate on time is the key. Cause a passport can be issued by one day. In my case, I have to wait for uncertain times to get the citizenship certificate, hence, prefer to reschedule.

Thank you!

How long does it usually take to get the certificate?

ahmed29s

Star Member
Jul 13, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you!

How long does it usually take to get the certificate?
The letter says 2-4 weeks and contact IRCC if it still outstanding after 6 weeks! However, the letter also says if we need certificate urgently, the officer will work with the applicant during registration.

pradsim

Star Member
Sep 5, 2013
BANGALORE
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-07-2013
AOR Received.
01-11-2103
IELTS Request
Sent Along with Application
File Transfer...
Yes
Med's Request
Yes
Folks,

I need some quick advise.

Yesterday I have received invite for oath ceremony, it's scheduled for March 5th and I have to travel to India on Nov 9th for some urgent reason (related to aged parents). And I don't have option to wait for few months to get Canadian Passport and and OCI card before I travel. Initially I was supposed to travel on Jan 26th, but had to cancel due to the sudden surge in Omicron cases.

I have reached out to IRCC Mississauga office couple of days back, haven't heard back yet. I read through few threads in this forum and below is my situation, any expert advise would be very helpful. Also, I am a US permanent resident (commuter) - my flights itinerary is BUFFALO - BANGALORE - BUFFALO. So, I am eligible to enter Canada with my GC (without any eTA through land border)

If I don't hear back from IRCC before March 5th -

Option 1:
  • Join the oath ceremony, narrate my situation to the officer, request for in person pick-up of Citizenship Certificate from Mississauga office, if he/she agrees (read in the forum that's it's probably possible)
  • Travel with Citizenship certificate and Indian Passport and USA GC
  • Return back to Canada thru land border near Niagara using Citizenship certificate (or do I have to show GC and Indian Passport as well)
Option 2:
  • Join the oath ceremony, narrate my situation to the officer. If officer tells me that in person pick-up isn't an option within next two days
  • Handover mailbox key to a friend, ask him to ship it to India on a overnight service
  • Return back to Canada thru land border near Niagara using Citizenship certificate (or do I have to show GC and Indian Passport as well)
Option 3:
  • Join the oath ceremony, narrate my situation to the officer. If officer tells me that in person pick-up isn't an option within next two days
  • I request the officer to reschedule the oath ceremony for a later date and add a comment against my file.

If the citizenship certificate doesn't come in mail on time for my friend to ship it to India. Should I still go ahead with the Indian Passport and US GC option? There will be some obvious question from the CBSA officer at the border and I would like tell the truth rather than creating a story. What's your advise on that?

Should i reach out to my local MP office to request a priority reschedule of my case to IRCC?

Looking for your advise .. Thanks in advance!

pradsim

Star Member
Sep 5, 2013
BANGALORE
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-07-2013
AOR Received.
01-11-2103
IELTS Request
Sent Along with Application
File Transfer...
Yes
Med's Request
Yes
Folks,

I need some quick advise.

Yesterday I have received invite for oath ceremony, it's scheduled for March 5th and I have to travel to India on Nov 9th for some urgent reason (related to aged parents). And I don't have option to wait for few months to get Canadian Passport and and OCI card before I travel. Initially I was supposed to travel on Jan 26th, but had to cancel due to the sudden surge in Omicron cases.

I have reached out to IRCC Mississauga office couple of days back, haven't heard back yet. I read through few threads in this forum and below is my situation, any expert advise would be very helpful. Also, I am a US permanent resident (commuter) - my flights itinerary is BUFFALO - BANGALORE - BUFFALO. So, I am eligible to enter Canada with my GC (without any eTA through land border)

If I don't hear back from IRCC before March 5th -

Option 1:
  • Join the oath ceremony, narrate my situation to the officer, request for in person pick-up of Citizenship Certificate from Mississauga office, if he/she agrees (read in the forum that's it's probably possible)
  • Travel with Citizenship certificate and Indian Passport and USA GC
Option 2:
  • Handover mailbox key to a friend, ask him to ship it to India on a overnight service
Option 3:
  • I request the officer to reschedule the oath ceremony for a later date and add a comment against my file.

If the citizenship certificate doesn't come in mail on time for my friend to ship it to India. Should I still go ahead with the Indian Passport and US GC option? There will be some obvious question from the CBSA officer at the border and I would like tell the truth rather than creating a story. What's your advise on that?

Should i reach out to my local MP office to request a priority reschedule of my case to IRCC?

Looking for your advise .. Thanks in advance!
Just received the reply from IRCC and looks like they are going to re-schedule the oath ceremony!

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram