+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renting after landing

Oloye

Oct 4, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Martha Marita,
Thanks so much your explanation was very good. I appreciate.

Oloye

PARAMHAMS03

Dec 31, 2005
India
Hi,

Thai Guy and whomsoever interested.Hi,

I want to be moving from my single bedroom apartment in Forest Manor Road, North york hardly 7 minutes walk to the Donmills subway and a very convenient one from all angles in January. The only reason is that I want to be moving is on account of my need for more space. Lease is until May2007. Anyone interested could contact me at 647 343 3677 H and 647 836 4366 (C) Rent is 900dol. But I need to have the full rent for the next 5 months paid to the property manager,if I have to sublease to you. Most ideal for new immigrants. Lease could of course be extended beyond May.

Shankar

Oloye

Oct 4, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your expanation is a very good one and detailed indeed. Thanks so much

Oloye

Mar 15, 2008
Hi thaiguy,

1100 is a bit expensive to me, especially without a job, even though I am a software developer. Are you one?
I am thinking of sharing an apt with a student or some other professional until I get job and get married.
Of course downtown has its benefits - you dont need a car. What was your rationale behind the choice of apartment?
WOuld appreciat eyour reply. thanks!

imjoe

Star Member
Nov 28, 2007
I plan to do exactly the same as SubatomicBionicNanoMan, I'm a Computer Engineer btw

At least that's my initial plan while I get things going.

martha marita

Aug 1, 2007
hotelling has been my greatest fear. I do need just a place where i could share with someone like a 2 bedroom flat, but to get someone ou trust is the problem. I looked at one university which is offering renting during holidays from may until aug/sept. i was thinkin it would be great deal to leave there for a week or so then start lookin for a place to stay. I will actually be moving to kitchenor / waterloo i n ontario.

Kevin2234

Mar 6, 2008
What happens if we don't have a credit history in Canada yet,because we will be new immigrants,can't we rent an apartment/condo/townhouse? How can they check our credit,if we don't have one yet?:)
We would like to rent an apartment/condo,because it is much more affordable than a house.(We can't provide any references from our landlord,because we owned a house(we paid mortgage),it was not a rental.) Any advice???

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Life as an immigrant can be hard. You might want to see if you can open a bank account in Canada before landing. Some banks with branches in multiple countries will let you do that.

john5655

Jan 25, 2009
if you can't get a reference for being a good tenant, at least try for a letter from your bank concerning your credit status

HSBC have a good system for opening an account in Canada from other countries where they operate, like UK

I did this three years ago and I still have yet to get my PR visa (call me foolish if you want)

by the way, I own property in Vancouver which I rent out and so can also advise on how the rental system works from a landlord's perspective

Flori

Star Member
Sep 18, 2008
thaiguy said:
I've just landed and so far most of the landlords are asking for references and proof that I already have a job (or have worked in Canada).  Well, I need a place to live before I get a job, right?  Paying hotel prices is just murder on my bank account!

So I'm going to have to get lucky and sweet-talk one of these landlords into trusting me.  Maybe flash some cash to prove I have enough to pay for a full year's rent whether I work or not.

IMHO .. it's kind of ridiculous for a country with as many immigrants as Canada has.
If you are single, It may be easier to go live with a roomate that already has a place set up. That way after a short period of time you can get your own place once you have a job secured and you start building some reputation. Like have friends from work who would vouch for you or the previous landlord.
And like thai guy said, inviduals owners are far less likely to check you credit (bcause you would have none in Canada), and they could be more flexible.
However some apartments may have very strong policies about not discriminating ppl about their background.
See if before you move to Canada you could have your current landlord write you a reference letter about you as a tenant. Make sure it includes all their contact information, like telephone, e-mail, adress and that is signed by the property manager.
Look for housing before you move, see if you can arrange a place to live before you land, that could save you some money and also, you wont feel uncertain.

Chinaconnection

Star Member
Dec 9, 2008
Hello everyone,

Is this issue of check credit history before renting an appartment applicable to all the provinces in Canada. We will be moving to quebec, is that the case there too?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It completely depends on who you rent from. In my experience, bigger rental companies are more likely to want a credit check but if you rent directly from owner, they may not ask for anything.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Or big owners. Sometimes one person owns a whole building and manages it himself.