+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renting after landing

stevie

Aug 20, 2007
Found this site and have found it a great source for imformation on many issues. I am currently pondering on whether to apply for PR from Scotland and recently noticed on some other posts that there may be a problem in renting an appartment/house if I don't have someone to co-sign for me when trying to rent. Is this going to be a major problem for me as I have no friends or family to assist me with this and I would rather wait a while after arriving before I buy a property once I know exactly where I want to settle which would probably be somewhere outside toronto. This dilema is giving me some cause for concern and I would be greatful if anyone could advise me on any ways around this or is buying my only option?

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
I've just landed and so far most of the landlords are asking for references and proof that I already have a job (or have worked in Canada). Well, I need a place to live before I get a job, right? Paying hotel prices is just murder on my bank account!

So I'm going to have to get lucky and sweet-talk one of these landlords into trusting me. Maybe flash some cash to prove I have enough to pay for a full year's rent whether I work or not.

IMHO .. it's kind of ridiculous for a country with as many immigrants as Canada has.

stevie

Aug 20, 2007
Thanks for replying. Sounds to me like renting could be a big problem. wish you the best of luck!

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
Congratulations Thaiguy!

Boy! I haven't logged on for quite a while so, I missed this.

Good Luck to you and your partner in all of your endeavors.

Libra.

thaiguy said:
I've just landed and so far most of the landlords are asking for references and proof that I already have a job (or have worked in Canada). Well, I need a place to live before I get a job, right? Paying hotel prices is just murder on my bank account!

So I'm going to have to get lucky and sweet-talk one of these landlords into trusting me. Maybe flash some cash to prove I have enough to pay for a full year's rent whether I work or not.

IMHO .. it's kind of ridiculous for a country with as many immigrants as Canada has.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Thanks, Libra!

BTW, we just got approved for an apartment today. It took a total of 15 days from the time we landed to find a suitable place and to go through the approval process. And so I have a little advice for anyone doing a search:

Individual homeowners are much more likely not to worry about your past credit, whether you have a job yet, and whether you are an immigrant. Most of the homeowners I've met in the Vancouver area have been really, really nice. And to be honest, they're just looking for that monthly income to help them with their mortgages.

Apartment complexes, on the other hand, almost always require a credit check and an employment/reference check. I was fortunate because I have great references from the U.S. and letters from past managers/supervisors. So while they probably didn't follow-up on any of my references, they did scrutinize the 'pattern' of my past behavior before approving the application.

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
Way to Go, Thaiguy!

thaiguy said:
Thanks, Libra!

BTW, we just got approved for an apartment today. It took a total of 15 days from the time we landed to find a suitable place and to go through the approval process. And so I have a little advice for anyone doing a search:

Individual homeowners are much more likely not to worry about your past credit, whether you have a job yet, and whether you are an immigrant. Most of the homeowners I've met in the Vancouver area have been really, really nice. And to be honest, they're just looking for that monthly income to help them with their mortgages.

Apartment complexes, on the other hand, almost always require a credit check and an employment/reference check. I was fortunate because I have great references from the U.S. and letters from past managers/supervisors. So while they probably didn't follow-up on any of my references, they did scrutinize the 'pattern' of my past behavior before approving the application.

Oloye

Oct 4, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How much does renting and getting an appartment go for in Canada? How are payment made and what are the hidden fee attached to renting? Also how many months payment?

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Oloye said:
How much does renting and getting an appartment go for in Canada? How are payment made and what are the hidden fee attached to renting? Also how many months payment?
I'm renting in Vancouver and the rent was CA$1,080 for a one-bedroom apartment close to downtown.

Payments are made monthly by check. There are no "hidden fees." That's illegal. Remember this is Canada. Canadian law is very clear that landlords can only request 1/2 month's rent as security. But they have to give it back when you move out if you haven't damaged the apartment.

Basically, it costs you 1-1/2 month's rent to get into a place. Most apartments require a 1-year lease. If you break the lease, then you would probably pay a penalty.

Oloye

Oct 4, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks so much Thaiguy your answer was fantastic and precise. What does one bedroom apartment entail.( a room, sitting room, kitchen and toilet.)

martha marita

Aug 1, 2007
Hiya, In uk a one bedroom house -A bedroom and then one living room and kitchen, bathroom and a toilet. depends on sizes of room anyway. some miaght have a garden, packing depending on area.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
A one-bedroom in our case is..

small bedroom w/ closet
short hallway w/ closet
bathroom w/ tub/shower & toilet
small kitchen (stove, oven, refrigerator, sink, cabinets)
living room
balcony

secured laundry room on the first floor of the building

It's small but it meets our needs perfectly.

Oloye

Oct 4, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thaiguy,
Are power, water rateand heater cost included in your fee. Also what amenities are included?

Oloye

martha marita

Aug 1, 2007
My friend Olaoye, while house hunting these are the things you look around for. Some houses would like probably 1000 can dollars including gas and electric and water. you just need to find out from land lord before you move into the house. Some will clearly state 'BILLS NOT INCLUDE D IN THE RENT' so they actually would tell you.
Amenities are things that are nearby the place or the house that person would be advertising. They could spice the advertise ment by saying: Amenities - near shopping centre, near public laundry, nearest to school or next to a bus stop meaning transport will not be a long way for you to walk to get a public transport, or near a rail etc.
Thats my understanding. Take care