Renewing Canadian Refugee Travel Document

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Negative. Let's not post things we are not sure about and confuse people here.

With a PR, under refugee program, you can still get a Travel document after expiration because you are NOT supposed to use your passport of origin. So, you need to apply for a new one.
Already clarified at the beginning of the thread.

jamesjamie

Star Member
Nov 1, 2017
Hi,

I am currently holding a PR but my Canadian refugee travel document (blue travel document) is about to be expired because I got this document before I became a PR so it only had a two-year validity. Can you please let me know what the renewing procedure and the required documents are? I can't seem to be able to find it anywhere. Do I need to submit a brand new application to get a brand new travel document? I have a US visa issued on my current travel document and I want to keep it.

Thank you so much!
Did you get any info to your question?

elohot101

Feb 6, 2019
Hello sir

I have just filled an application as an refugee

But my hearing date is after 1.5 year

I need to travel outside Canada urgently
They took my passport.
How can i do that now
Is there any way ??
Brother please stay in Canada until you get ur pr if u live it will be very difficult for to come back it happened to me last year.
I will never advise you to do that.

alams

Mar 17, 2019
Hi ,just need information regarding my Blue Travel document, its expired now .I have PR card and my origin passport as well.so If I want to travel aboard do I need to reapply new Travel document again or I should travel on my origin passport and get visa to travel that country.
thanks.

Reactions: Jalalcananda

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi ,just need information regarding my Blue Travel document, its expired now .I have PR card and my origin passport as well.so If I want to travel aboard do I need to reapply new Travel document again or I should travel on my origin passport and get visa to travel that country.
thanks.
Definitely get a travel document. Don't use your home country passport. Using your home country passport to travel can cause issues during the citizenship process. Best to play it safe and use the travel document to travel.

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
thanks.
You need a travel document that now is called certificate of identity because you have PR. NEVER USE OR RENEW YOUR HOME COUNTRY PASSPORT.

Reactions: sss12345

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
You need a travel document that now is called certificate of identity because you have PR. NEVER USE OR RENEW YOUR HOME COUNTRY PASSPORT.
Just a minor correction, as refugees we are only entitled to a Refugee Travel Document, not a Certificate of Identity even if we have PR. Certificate of Identity is for PR who are not refugees and are not able to apply for a travel document from their home country or are stateless.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just a minor correction, as refugees we are only entitled to a Refugee Travel Document, not a Certificate of Identity even if we have PR. Certificate of Identity is for PR who are not refugees and are not able to apply for a travel document from their home country or are stateless.
Ye protected people remain protected people even when they get they PR.

Reactions: sss12345

Shaabcd

May 20, 2019
I was going to have a flight from Vancouver to Hong Kong and Nepal afterwards with Canadian Refugee Travel Document. While checking in with the Canadian custom immigration at the Vancouver airport, the custom department stopped me from boarding the flight because my Refugee travel document is going to expire in the next 3 months, which is not acceptable because they require at least of 6 months if validity. In this situation, can I extend my Refugee Travel document for another 3 months so that it meets the passport validity criteria and fly. It is an urgent situation, I have been in airport for 3 days now. Please any suggestion.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I was going to have a flight from Vancouver to Hong Kong and Nepal afterwards with Canadian Refugee Travel Document. While checking in with the Canadian custom immigration at the Vancouver airport, the custom department stopped me from boarding the flight because my Refugee travel document is going to expire in the next 3 months, which is not acceptable because they require at least of 6 months if validity. In this situation, can I extend my Refugee Travel document for another 3 months so that it meets the passport validity criteria and fly. It is an urgent situation, I have been in airport for 3 days now. Please any suggestion.
Why have you not left the airport? You have to contact the department that issues RTDs. Even urgent processing, if that exists for RTDs, would likely be a week.

Shanwari

Feb 10, 2017
Hi
Today I got back my RTD with objection

Gurantor last Required

After submission then again will they take same time , they returned it after 22 days .
Thanks

Iyad717

Star Member
Jul 1, 2016
My Travel Document is expiring soon and I need to renew it. Will I get 5 years Travel Doc if I have PR?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
THIS IS WRONG. PLEASE DO NOT MISGUIDE PEOPLE IF NOT SURE OF THE ANSWER. HE WILL STILL GET A NEW RTD EVEN THOUGH HE IS A PR
Yes you are right it is wrong. It is from a long time ago so not sure what I was thinking. People can misread posts and answer incorrectly so on a public forum someone can correct me. People corrected me at the time and I am unable to delete it. No need to yell. It is a post from 1.5 years ago.

Reactions: captains

Awat

Sep 11, 2017
Hi,

I need to renew my travel document, I do not have a PR yet, can I renew it or I need to apply for the new one and go through the same process like the first time? Thank you in advance.