+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing Canadian Refugee Travel Document

Iyad717

Star Member
Jul 1, 2016
Hi,

I need to renew my travel document, I do not have a PR yet, can I renew it or I need to apply for the new one and go through the same process like the first time? Thank you in advance.
Yes you will have to apply for a new one and you must attach your old RTD with your application. Even if you dont have a PR, you will still get a 2 years document until you get the PR then you'll get 5 years validity.

elohot101

Feb 6, 2019
Hi,

I need to renew my travel document, I do not have a PR yet, can I renew it or I need to apply for the new one and go through the same process like the first time? Thank you in advance.
You will just apply for the new one but you will include the old copy in the envelope.
Good luck.

Butterbee

Feb 25, 2018
Please I would like to know, when you apply for your traveling doc, do they request for a fingerprint.

Emil7

Star Member
Jan 13, 2018
Hi,

Same process, even if you have a PR.

Mfoniso Urua

Jul 4, 2020
How long can I renew my RTD before expiry?
It will expiry in eight months(8) months time and I wish to travel in Six (6)months for my wife's delivery. That will just be two months left to its expiration. When should I submit renewal or apply for a new one please?

Norijal

Oct 20, 2021
what happened to your RTD? i am also on the same situation

Hi,

I am currently holding a PR but my Canadian refugee travel document (blue travel document) is about to be expired because I got this document before I became a PR so it only had a two-year validity. Can you please let me know what the renewing procedure and the required documents are? I can't seem to be able to find it anywhere. Do I need to submit a brand new application to get a brand new travel document? I have a US visa issued on my current travel document and I want to keep it.

Thank you so much!

ref19to22

May 18, 2022
what happened to your RTD? i am also on the same situation
there is no renewal process, so you will need to apply for a new RTD. As per Question 4 and Section J of the RTD application, you will need to submit your old RTD along with the usual application package, and request to have it returned to you because you have valid visas in it.

Norijal

Oct 20, 2021
there is no renewal process, so you will need to apply for a new RTD. As per Question 4 and Section J of the RTD application, you will need to submit your old RTD along with the usual application package, and request to have it returned to you because you have valid visas in it.
how long its taking now a days for new RTD?