+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewed passport after COPR

PratikD

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
Hi! I

I have received the COPR and the one time travel visa.

Since my passport was about to expire, I renewed it and received a new passport. I have a new passport number now. Can I travel to Canada carrying both the passports and COPR?

My one time visa is in the old passport and COPR has old passport number as well.

Thank you!

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
There have been mixed opinions on this forum but the official reply from vfs/ircc is that you need to send in your new passport for Visa stamping again.

Reactions: PratikD

deeps1987

Jun 2, 2018
Hi! I

I have received the COPR and the one time travel visa.

Since my passport was about to expire, I renewed it and received a new passport. I have a new passport number now. Can I travel to Canada carrying both the passports and COPR?

My one time visa is in the old passport and COPR has old passport number as well.

Thank you!
I think you should be able to travel. Refer:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/resources/manuals/enf/enf04-eng.pdf
13.18 Valid visas in expired passports

Visa officers will not put a visa in an expired document and will not issue a visa for a period surpassing the expiry date of the passport or travel document. Occasionally, documents containing valid visas are cancelled or replaced. If a valid visa inside an expired document is presented at the POE along with a valid passport or travel document, the visa is considered valid.

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto

Visa officers will not put a visa in an expired document and will not issue a visa for a period surpassing the expiry date of the passport or travel document. Occasionally, documents containing valid visas are cancelled or replaced. If a valid visa inside an expired document is presented at the POE along with a valid passport or travel document, the visa is considered valid.
While above is true in general for say visitor visa, there is increased burden of reporting in case of immigrant Visa. I would recommend calling vfs to double check. Their official guidance is to send in New passport for updation.

PratikD

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019

Thank you for finding this for me. I called High Commissioner's in New Delhi and they were also not sure about the right procedure in this case. What could go wrong if I travel with both the passports and current PR?

PratikD

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
I contacted IRCC, CIC and High Commission of Canada in India.

These were the responses -

IRCC - "Hi. If you renew your passport, make sure to carry both your valid CoPR in your old passport and your new passport with you when you arrive in Canada. Hope this helps."

CIC - "Hi. Yes you can travel. A valid CoPR and PR visa inside an expired document are considered valid. Make sure you have both your old passport with the valid CoPR and PR visa and your new passport with you when travelling to Canada."

High Commission of Canada in India
- "Please be advised that if you decide to you renew your passport before your travel to Canada, please send your original (old an new) passports and original COPR with photograph to our office through VFS.
Also please pay document replacement fee CAD $30 online and send the receipt by EMAIL."

Whom should I listen to now?

Thank you!

Reactions: mapple007

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
If you have time and resources, I would listen to high commission and get that process done. If not, then try what ircc says and report back on your experience.

vinay16

Dec 30, 2018
Can you tell me what you did ?
I contacted IRCC, CIC and High Commission of Canada in India.

These were the responses -

IRCC - "Hi. If you renew your passport, make sure to carry both your valid CoPR in your old passport and your new passport with you when you arrive in Canada. Hope this helps."

CIC - "Hi. Yes you can travel. A valid CoPR and PR visa inside an expired document are considered valid. Make sure you have both your old passport with the valid CoPR and PR visa and your new passport with you when travelling to Canada."

High Commission of Canada in India
- "Please be advised that if you decide to you renew your passport before your travel to Canada, please send your original (old an new) passports and original COPR with photograph to our office through VFS.
Also please pay document replacement fee CAD $30 online and send the receipt by EMAIL."

Whom should I listen to now?

Thank you!

vinay16

Dec 30, 2018
I'm finally doing soft landing tomorrow

however, i have few queries:

1. Which documents should I carry with me apart from passport & CoPR?
2. Should I carry statement of last 6 months of bank account?
3. Should I carry PoF docs?
4. Should I carry new pics or pic on CoPR is enough for PR Card?
5. Do I have to make list of everything that I'm carrying or just precious things, if there's any ?
6. Do I have to declare amount that I'm carrying in CAD and if yes, how to do that?

Any other info will be really helpful..

I traveled with 2 passports with COPR and visa in old passport. Did not face any issue.

dr.josemrod

Sep 3, 2019
Santiago, Dominican Republic
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
31-08-2019
AOR Received.
05-09-2019
Med's Done....
18-09-2019
LANDED..........
08-05-2020

You don't have to, but are recommended to. Take everything you uploaded, plus your declaration of imported goods.

Not necessarily

Yes

Not needed

5. Do I have to make list of everything that I'm carrying or just precious things, if there's any ?

Some people have said to include even clothing

6. Do I have to declare amount that I'm carrying in CAD and if yes, how to do that?

If it's over 10k yes, you do it in customs form

dr.josemrod

Sep 3, 2019
Santiago, Dominican Republic
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
31-08-2019
AOR Received.
05-09-2019
Med's Done....
18-09-2019
LANDED..........
08-05-2020

Check the quoted text in the last post, I made a mistake