+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewal of PR with kids whereas Spouse PR not meeting RO requirement

salkab

Apr 9, 2015
Dear fellow members,
My PR is going to expire in June 2020 along with my kids. But my husband will not be able to meet his RO requirements. Will there be a problem for me and my kids to renew PR and then subsequently apply for citizenship? My husband is leaving outside Canada to take care of his mother.
Appreciate advice and insight on the process and complications.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Dear fellow members,
My PR is going to expire in June 2020 along with my kids. But my husband will not be able to meet his RO requirements. Will there be a problem for me and my kids to renew PR and then subsequently apply for citizenship? My husband is leaving outside Canada to take care of his mother.
Appreciate advice and insight on the process and complications.
Your status is entirely independent of his.

Reactions: salkab

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
PR cards expire PR status never expires and can only be renounced or revoked.

The PR residency obligation is an individual responsibility so as long as you and your kids continue to meet your RO then you can apply to renew your PR cards and should not do so until RO is met.

Eventually when you meet the 3 years out of 5 years physical presence at citizenship application time you can apply for citizenship.

Your husbands status is irrelevant for you and your children.

Be aware that the residency obligation for initial 5 years starts from the day you land and not the date the PR card was issued.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Will I face any complication in my citizenship application if they inquire why husband didn't apply for it or check his status?
Also, can I leave after applying for citizenship?
Again, independent status. That includes your citizenship app.

Sure.

Reactions: YVR123

salkab

Apr 9, 2015
PR cards expire PR status never expires and can only be renounced or revoked.

The PR residency obligation is an individual responsibility so as long as you and your kids continue to meet your RO then you can apply to renew your PR cards and should not do so until RO is met.

Eventually when you meet the 3 years out of 5 years physical presence at citizenship application time you can apply for citizenship.

Your husbands status is irrelevant for you and your children.

Be aware that the residency obligation for initial 5 years starts from the day you land and not the date the PR card was issued.
Any idea if my husband renounce his PR, will it affect me and my kids citizenship?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Based on your previous posts your wife and kid may not have met their RO when they returned to Canada so your wife would not be able to sponsor you until she meets her RO.