+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Remote working for CEC

saravanaz89

May 5, 2015
Hello,
I'm working in Canada as a software engineer with my post graduate work permit. I started working from August 29 2016. My WP expires on October 16 2017.

During the month of January 2017 I took two weeks of vacation and traveled to India, and worked remotely from India for another 3 weeks. Since my company has a policy of remote working. So will this three weeks of remote working counted as Canadian experience?
Payroll, T4, everything is there as required.

Thanks

sandra02

Mar 1, 2015
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
16 07 2017
Med's Done....
April 2017
I am claiming my periods when I was not in Canada but working to my company. I spent 6 weeks abroad with working. I have pay stub also. I don't see any issue but wait for some experts' answer.

saravanaz89

May 5, 2015
I agree, consider a situation where the company wants you to go outside canada to their branch office for any business meetings or knowledge transfer etc, so this should be still considered as canadian work experience. Although i took 3 weeks of remote work, i'm just finding out different permutations

sandra02

Mar 1, 2015
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
16 07 2017
Med's Done....
April 2017
I totally agree. Let's see which others say.

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
I think you should be good. You got paid for the time you were in India and was working for the company,. Your letter no where states that you worked this many hours remotely. As per my understanding you should be fine. rest experts can guide.

sandra02

Mar 1, 2015
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
16 07 2017
Med's Done....
April 2017
Yes, it doesn't show off anywhere. If I am not wrong you don't have to mention this traveling in your travel history because it was your home country.

saravanaz89

May 5, 2015
yes, only thing is if the immigration officer checks your CBSA record, then it can be found that you where outside canada. Moreover as per Canadian Experience Class rules, they say in the 52 weeks of full time work, we are allowed for 2 weeks of paid vacation as well.

abbsha

Star Member
Jan 22, 2016
As per CEC rules, does this experience has to be continuous...? If you move your payroll outside the country for 3 months and then bring back, will that matter?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
As per CEC rules, does this experience has to be continuous...? If you move your payroll outside the country for 3 months and then bring back, will that matter?
No, CEC has no requirement that work experience be continuous.

saravanaz89

May 5, 2015
An allowance for a reasonable period of vacation time will generally be made in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., a two-week period of paid vacation leave within a given 52-week period in which the applicant was engaged in qualifying work experience). An allowance for normal vacation time during a period of qualifying work experience cannot be used as a substitute or proxy for meeting the in-Canada element of the work experience requirement (i.e., work experience obtained outside Canada will not be considered as though the applicant had been on a period of vacation in order to be counted as part of the period of in-Canada work experience). While officers will account for a reasonable period of vacation time in calculating the period of qualifying work experience in Canada, each application is considered on its own merits with a final decision based on a review of all the information available to the officer at the time of decision.
I found that in the cic website,so are they meaning remote working doesn't count?" it's tricky to find out

Reactions: classico33

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011

ruble

May 2, 2017
Hello,
I'm working in Canada as a software engineer with my post graduate work permit. I started working from August 29 2016. My WP expires on October 16 2017.

During the month of January 2017 I took two weeks of vacation and traveled to India, and worked remotely from India for another 3 weeks. Since my company has a policy of remote working. So will this three weeks of remote working counted as Canadian experience?

Thanks
Hi Sarvanaz, were those 3 weeks you worked remotely considered in 1 year Canadian experience?
Please let me know. Thanks

hkaur819

Star Member
Jun 25, 2020
Hi Sarvanaz, were those 3 weeks you worked remotely considered in 1 year Canadian experience?
Please let me know. Thanks
Hello,

Thanks
Hi

your remote work experience Counted by CIC for 1 year . I am in same situation and got ITA . But not sure if I should accept it or reject it . I worked 50 weeks in Canada but 2-3 works remotely.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi

your remote work experience Counted by CIC for 1 year . I am in same situation and got ITA . But not sure if I should accept it or reject it . I worked 50 weeks in Canada but 2-3 works remotely.
You shouldn't expect time worked form outside Canada to be counted towards your 1-year experience. You might get lucky but I wouldn't count on it.

You should if possible work for an additional 2-3 weeks before applying to make sure you don't risk being refused.

Remote work within Canada is a complete different story and is completely acceptable.