+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rejected PR Application

KlausKarp

Dec 5, 2016
Maple Ridge, BC
LANDED..........
9 July 2018
Wow, haven't been online for a month, coming back and new design, neat:) Anyway...

After an only two-month review process, my application got rejected. The police certificate I handed is is incorrect and I need to get a new one. No problem there, I just find the measure of outrightly "rejecting" the application too cumbersome, i.e. back to the beginning.

Is there a way to convince the CIC to not to outright REJECT/cancel the application, instead putting it on hold and asking for "review of additional documents"?

Getting the new police certificate will only be a matter of days, but as we are square zero again, have to go through the express entry application, the application pool, the invitation to apply, and the whole residence permit application again. Is there any point in using the IRCC web form ("If you think we should not have cancelled your application, let us know by using the IRCC web form.")?

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can certainly try contacting CIC. However I don't think there's any point and I don't believe CIC will re-open your application. I personally wouldn't waste time and move to start the process from scratch instead. But obviously your choice.

Express Entry applications are rejected when they are incomplete - this is standard / normal. Missing or incorrect PCCs results in the application being classified as incomplete - all of these documents have to be included with the initial submission. So your application was unfortunately correctly refused. CIC takes this approach now to ensure care is taken in submitting complete applications up front. Several years back they were more lax. This resulted in a great deal of back and forth on applications for missing / incomplete documents (since applicants knew CIC would simply request anything missing and far less diligence went into submitting a complete application). This resulted in very long processing times for applications (which applicants were very unhappy about and petitioned to change). So now CIC requires a complete application up front or it's a refusal. Hope that helps to explain the rationale.

KlausKarp

Dec 5, 2016
Maple Ridge, BC
LANDED..........
9 July 2018
Thank you scylla, for laying out CIC's rationale, which I actually mostly adhere too. I pride myself of being an exact and well-organised person, so I fully agree - one of my document was faulty and has to be replaced. Still, the measure of outrightly rejecting the application seems … draconian even.

Getting the document in question will be a matter of days, but the rejection and start form scratch may cause a delay of at least 3 months (assuming CIC keeps on working at the amazing speed of 2 months review, in my case, which is awesome indeed).

Especially, the rejection letter specifically states that "There may be other elements […] which may also be missing or incomplete."

So unfortunately, this course of action, while seemingly speeding up the process "within the CIC", prolongs it indefinitely for the applicant, gently forces the applicant to consult a lawyer. I for example will try once more, but if this happens again, I will definitely seek a representative, to make sure everything is correct and complete beforehand.

I think I will go ahead and contact them, state my case. But simultaneously I follow your good advice, build up and hand in the Express Entry application from scratch. Drawing points are at an all-time low, and chances are good.

prseeker2017

Star Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you scylla, for laying out CIC's rationale, which I actually mostly adhere too. I pride myself of being an exact and well-organised person, so I fully agree - one of my document was faulty and has to be replaced. Still, the measure of outrightly rejecting the application seems … draconian even.

Getting the document in question will be a matter of days, but the rejection and start form scratch may cause a delay of at least 3 months (assuming CIC keeps on working at the amazing speed of 2 months review, in my case, which is awesome indeed).

Especially, the rejection letter specifically states that "There may be other elements […] which may also be missing or incomplete."

So unfortunately, this course of action, while seemingly speeding up the process "within the CIC", prolongs it indefinitely for the applicant, gently forces the applicant to consult a lawyer. I for example will try once more, but if this happens again, I will definitely seek a representative, to make sure everything is correct and complete beforehand.

I think I will go ahead and contact them, state my case. But simultaneously I follow your good advice, build up and hand in the Express Entry application from scratch. Drawing points are at an all-time low, and chances are good.
Can you share what details were missing or incomplete.

KlausKarp

Dec 5, 2016
Maple Ridge, BC
LANDED..........
9 July 2018
prseeker2017; yes, with pleasure:

For detail: The PR application was confirmed on 22 April.
On 19 June I received a request for additional documents, in detail the travels of my wife (who is Korean citizen), which I uploaded the same day.
On 21 June I received the rejection letter, the "application is rejected for being incomplete", specifically the Police Certificate:

The Police certificate from South Korea that you provided with your application for your spouse is not acceptable. Please verify our website in order to determine the required document.
Police certificates from South Korea must indicate that all records have been searched, including any lapsed records
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/

The police certificate we handed in from Korea did not indicate this special circumstance. On the homepage is a very clear instruction how to get it, and we are currently in the process of getting this "new" police certificate. It apparently can only be obtained in Korea, staff members of foreign embassies do not know what this "lapse record" is (we collected information from Korean embassies in Vancouver, Vienna, Sydney, Shanghai).

This problem with the Korean police certificate seems not to be uncommon, there is/was another case posted in this forum, and more in other, Korean-language forums. The additional requirements may have changed "recently" (maybe about a year ago?).

While I stick with the opinion that outright rejection is not helping the process (when a simple "request for additional documents" would spare both the applicant and the CIC a bunch of work and time), applicants should also take this case as a word of caution, to always double-check with the official CIC websites, their information is usually very clear and concise (well, or consult a lawyer, who probably would have known about this too).

By the way, I already created a new Express Entry profile and hope for a draw soon:)

Reactions: aminenedjar90

WafeGara

Dec 28, 2017
prseeker2017; yes, with pleasure:

For detail: The PR application was confirmed on 22 April.
On 19 June I received a request for additional documents, in detail the travels of my wife (who is Korean citizen), which I uploaded the same day.
On 21 June I received the rejection letter, the "application is rejected for being incomplete", specifically the Police Certificate:

The Police certificate from South Korea that you provided with your application for your spouse is not acceptable. Please verify our website in order to determine the required document.
Police certificates from South Korea must indicate that all records have been searched, including any lapsed records
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/

The police certificate we handed in from Korea did not indicate this special circumstance. On the homepage is a very clear instruction how to get it, and we are currently in the process of getting this "new" police certificate. It apparently can only be obtained in Korea, staff members of foreign embassies do not know what this "lapse record" is (we collected information from Korean embassies in Vancouver, Vienna, Sydney, Shanghai).

This problem with the Korean police certificate seems not to be uncommon, there is/was another case posted in this forum, and more in other, Korean-language forums. The additional requirements may have changed "recently" (maybe about a year ago?).

While I stick with the opinion that outright rejection is not helping the process (when a simple "request for additional documents" would spare both the applicant and the CIC a bunch of work and time), applicants should also take this case as a word of caution, to always double-check with the official CIC websites, their information is usually very clear and concise (well, or consult a lawyer, who probably would have known about this too).

By the way, I already created a new Express Entry profile and hope for a draw soon:)

Hi,

I'm in the same case as you. I just received a rejection for a PR application through Express Entry because I didn't submit a Police Certificate from a country where I lived for a couple years. I wanted to to ask if when you did the process all over again and submitted the missing document (police certificate), did they ask you for more documents? As you said above the sentence "There may be other elements […] which may also be missing or incomplete" is confusing. At first, I thought I would redo everything and add the missing document, but then I was wondering if they will ask for something else. This definitely forces people to go to a lawyer. When I called a lawyer asking for a consultation just to check if all my documents are okay, they asked to go through the profile as whole and said they don't just do final consultations.

Thank you for your help.

KlausKarp

Dec 5, 2016
Maple Ridge, BC
LANDED..........
9 July 2018
Hi WafaGara

Yes, I did the whole process again, and it went down more or less like I anticipated, i.e. got the new police certificate within a few days, into Express Entry pool, got drawn after a few weeks, handed in application.

As stated above I also contacted CIC trying to re-open my case, but only received a generic message with pretty much the same content as the rejection letter.

Things got a bit more complicated after that, because we were expecting a new child, so anyway the whole application has been delayed for about 1 year now, because also the new-born dependent needed birth certificate, passport etc. I could hand in the complete application (including new-born's information and correct police certificate) only last month and did not receive any notification about any "other missing or incomplete elements" yet.

… I'll keep you updated!

missirie

Dec 29, 2017
hi good day i was 8 years together with my mother an sister got landed immigrants back in 1991 but unfortunately my mother had to go back to her home country because of family issues she only spend about 6 months taking my sister and my self with her back to our home country .its been 26 year to date i did a VOS an its states that i'm still a PR but will need a PRTD if i were to travel as a PR i've been back to canada with a visitor visa because i didnt no that my VOS was still PR i taught i lose it so im asking what is my next step in trying to get back into canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hi good day i was 8 years together with my mother an sister got landed immigrants back in 1991 but unfortunately my mother had to go back to her home country because of family issues she only spend about 6 months taking my sister and my self with her back to our home country .its been 26 year to date i did a VOS an its states that i'm still a PR but will need a PRTD if i were to travel as a PR i've been back to canada with a visitor visa because i didnt no that my VOS was still PR i taught i lose it so im asking what is my next step in trying to get back into canada
\You shouldn't have been able to get a visitor visa but I've seen it happen before. Although you are still a PR if you try to use it you will be reported for not meeting the residency obligation. Depends on what your goal is. If you want to travel to Canada easily you could renounce your PR and the apply for visitor visa or eta if you want to visit Canada. If you want to try to live in Canada you can try to enter through the US land border and see whether you get reported for not meeting your RO. I'm guessing you don't have your COPR or PR card so it is highly unlikely you could get in without being reported. Then there would be a process to revoke your PR where you could appeal on H&C grounds. Highly unlikely that anything would work. If you did make it through you would have stay in Canada for 2 years without leaving then you could apply for a valid PR card.

smritiparwani

Dec 4, 2017
Hello people. My NOC is 2174 and CRS 440. I received ITA in October. I submitted all the docs but unfortunately due to one missing document, my application got rejected. It was Police clearance - Traffic History, Australia (Queensland) for my husband who is the secondary applicant. I created my express entry profile again and now waiting for ITA.
So just want to know, since the rejection reason is for the secondary applicant, does that mean that all my documents (primary applicant) are accepted and correct.

KlausKarp

Dec 5, 2016
Maple Ridge, BC
LANDED..........
9 July 2018
Hi smritiparwani

That seems to be exactly the same case as mine, where also the police certificate of my wife (secondary applicant) was faulty. We replaced it and so far there was no request for further documents. But that does not necessarily mean that all your (primary applicant) documents are complete and correct. There is probably the confusing phrase "There may be other elements […] which may also be missing or incomplete" in the rejection letter (see the discussion above). Better double-check all your and your husband's documents for accuracy, can't hurt. Did you replace the faulty police clearance?

And just an update, even though there was no request for other "missing or incomplete documents", I had to redo my and my child's medical exam, because we are approaching the 1 year mark.

smritiparwani

Dec 4, 2017
Hi smritiparwani

That seems to be exactly the same case as mine, where also the police certificate of my wife (secondary applicant) was faulty. We replaced it and so far there was no request for further documents. But that does not necessarily mean that all your (primary applicant) documents are complete and correct. There is probably the confusing phrase "There may be other elements […] which may also be missing or incomplete" in the rejection letter (see the discussion above). Better double-check all your and your husband's documents for accuracy, can't hurt. Did you replace the faulty police clearance?

And just an update, even though there was no request for other "missing or incomplete documents", I had to redo my and my child's medical exam, because we are approaching the 1 year mark.
Hello, Thanks for your response. Did you apply for traffic history from Queensland. I applied yesterday and the report was generated right away. Can you share with me the procedure for the same. I want to confirm what I am doing is correct.

KlausKarp

Dec 5, 2016
Maple Ridge, BC
LANDED..........
9 July 2018
Hello; No, I did not apply for Queensland, but my wife's Korean police certificate was faulty. However, the ensuing process was the same: rejection.

As mentioned above, I did the whole process again from scratch, i.e. got the new police certificate within a few days, applied, into Express Entry pool, got drawn after a few weeks, handed in application, handed in further documents, and … received the final request to hand in my passport for the issuance of my COPR a week ago! So all my other documents were fine, just the police certificate not.

However, still double-check all your other docs too, can't hurt. Keep us updated, would be interesting to know if indeed CIC finds other "elements which may also be missing or incomplete" besides the police certificate after you handed in the correct one. Good luck!