+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Regular mail or courier ?

jcyj

Star Member
Feb 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone,

I want to know which post service is better, regular mail or courier ? CIC gives us two different addresses for it. Thanks

rmust

Star Member
Jul 18, 2012
Mississauga, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-Nov-2011
AOR Received.
26-Jan-2012
Med's Request
27-March-2012
Med's Done....
31-March-2012
Passport Req..
22-June-12
VISA ISSUED...
27-July-12 (received Aug 2)
LANDED..........
04-Aug-12
Obviously courier would the way to go. Do you know the difference between them?!

jcyj

Star Member
Feb 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rmust said:
Obviously courier would the way to go. Do you know the difference between them?!
I know normally with courier companies likes (UPS, Fedex, TNT, DHL, Purolator ...), we can track it and get a signature of reception. But I don't know if Canada post Xpresspost is considered as regular mail or courier ?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
I think if you send your citizenship application by canada post with stamps on it (regular stamps) and no tracking then it would be considered as regular mail and should be sent at the regular mail address mentioned on cic website.

If you send it by courier like fedex, purolator, ups etc, it would be considered courier address and should be sent to the courier address mentioned on cic website. Canada Xpresspost and Priority post should be courier too as it has tracking attached to it. However, you can confirm the same by visiting any nearest canadapost office.

I have sent my application to the courier address by fedex.

BrandonP

May 5, 2015
thecoolguysam said:
I think if you send your citizenship application by canada post with stamps on it (regular stamps) and no tracking then it would be considered as regular mail and should be sent at the regular mail address mentioned on cic website.

If you send it by courier like fedex, purolator, ups etc, it would be considered courier address and should be sent to the courier address mentioned on cic website. Canada Xpresspost and Priority post should be courier too as it has tracking attached to it. However, you can confirm the same by visiting any nearest canadapost office.

I have sent my application to the courier address by fedex.
When I spoke to Canada Post last week, they said courier mail would be with a company like FedEx. So going to a courier address would require using a courier service which Canada Post does not offer.

So posting with Canada Post, even if it is Xpresspost or Priority post probably should go to the regular mailing address. That was my interpretation anyway. I could be wrong.

AsianIndian

Jan 13, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
Thanks for the information. That's the reason why I suggested the jcyj to confirm with nearest canada post office regarding xpresspost, priority mail (whether it can be sent to regular address or courier address)
xpresspost is courrier. I sent mine with xpresspost and it was signed upon reception by a CIC agent.
Why would anybody want to send such an important package (citizenship application) by regular mail ?

wd1

Star Member
Mar 11, 2015
Any kind or type of mail witch requires signature on delivery should be send to an address where someone can sign for it. So, when you use Canada Post regular mail but with the signature option you have to send it to CIC courier post. I know that for sure, it's the way I sent my application. It was cheapest way, mailed from Ontario on December 29 and got delivery confirmation on December 31. I was really lucky I guess, last day of $400 fee.

BrandonP

May 5, 2015
wd1 said:
Any kind or type of mail witch requires signature on delivery should be send to an address where someone can sign for it. So, when you use Canada Post regular mail but with the signature option you have to send it to CIC courier post. I know that for sure, it's the way I sent my application. It was cheapest way, mailed from Ontario on December 29 and got delivery confirmation on December 31. I was really lucky I guess, last day of $400 fee.
Thanks. I guess the Canada Post person misinformed me.

wd1

Star Member
Mar 11, 2015
BrandonP said:
Thanks. I guess the Canada Post person misinformed me.
She didn't misinform you. Canada Post is primary postal operator, Purolator is courier service. If you on tight budget use regular mail with confirmation option and send to courier address. You can find tons of horrifying stories about CP, but in my opinion they provide very decent service.

BrandonP

May 5, 2015
wd1 said:
She didn't misinform you. Canada Post is primary postal operator, Purolator is courier service. If you on tight budget use regular mail with confirmation option and send to courier address. You can find tons of horrifying stories about CP, but in my opinion they provide very decent service.
No tight budget so will be using priority mail and sending to the courier address.

Thanks.

TomTony

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hurry up people, only few days left. See which courier delivers it on time, I used Purolator and they delivered it in the next day (from Toronto), otherwise you may want to travel to Sydney and drop the application in CIC's mail box.

Good luck to everyone!

wd1

Star Member
Mar 11, 2015
FedEx First Overnight service will get your envelope to Sydney next working day before 10am.