+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

farhan2022

Jan 27, 2022
Hi guys, I have used my Dentist as Gaurontor, he doesn't know much of my personal life, what kind d of questions do they ask?

tessytessy

Star Member
Jan 11, 2018
I have a RTD expiring a month some weeks after my proposed travel date, is it okay to travel with it or is there a timeline to the expiration of passport that one can travel?

farhan2022

Jan 27, 2022
It depends which country you're traveling to, most coutries require the RTD to be valid at least 6 months. Check with them

imadeddin

Jul 5, 2016
Hello!

Should we mail the application first and then the web form or send a web form with supporting documents and then wait till we hear something from them and then mail the application? Please advise me! My RTD expired and I urgently need one!

Thanks

imadeddin

Jul 5, 2016
Hello!

Should we mail the application first and then the web form or send a web form with supporting documents and then wait till we hear something from them and then mail the application? Please advise me! My RTD expired and I urgently need one!

Thanks

Mfoniso Urua

Jul 4, 2020
Hello!

Thanks
Hello guys, after mailing IRCC 6 webforms for renewal of RTD and they keep responding with their usual generic response, I went to renew my home passport and then traveled with it. I spent 2 months and three weeks and came back February 3rd ,2022 without any single stress. I was only asked where I went to, what I went to do and if I went to my home country. I told them I went to see my wife in a third country. They asked if my wife work there and I told them nope. She came to meet me there. I was asked where I stayed. Thats it basically. No stress or something. All these issues about RTD is not what it. I have a friend who just got his citizenship. All through, he kept travelling with his home passport to a third country to be with his family. He had no stress at all. Whatever you have to do, stay away from your home country with same passport.

Reactions: imadeddin

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello guys, after mailing IRCC 6 webforms for renewal of RTD and they keep responding with their usual generic response, I went to renew my home passport and then traveled with it. I spent 2 months and three weeks and came back February 3rd ,2022 without any single stress. I was only asked where I went to, what I went to do and if I went to my home country. I told them I went to see my wife in a third country. They asked if my wife work there and I told them nope. She came to meet me there. I was asked where I stayed. Thats it basically. No stress or something. All these issues about RTD is not what it. I have a friend who just got his citizenship. All through, he kept travelling with his home passport to a third country to be with his family. He had no stress at all. Whatever you have to do, stay away from your home country with same passport.
The questions might seems not stressing but They typically don't ask those kind of questions if you travelled back with your RTD. Provided you have protected status, CBSA role is gather preliminary information and refer to IRCC if there is ground for cessation application, if there is, IRCC will make contact for the interview at later stage. I think best advise to give is "whatever you have to do; stay away from passport of origin and home country". I dont take what happened to other peoples, but what the law is. Sometimes Minister may not pick interest on a file, but sometimes they do...

Last edited:

EmA123

Nov 28, 2020
Hi
My friend applyed for pr on December as protected person. He wants to apply next month for travel document but he is afraid if getting travel document will delay the time to get pr card. Does it really affect it?

Jakiewuyi

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
Hi
My friend applyed for pr on December as protected person. He wants to apply next month for travel document but he is afraid if getting travel document will delay the time to get pr card. Does it really affect it?
Application for RTD has no impact on your PR application processing.

I applied for PR in February 2021 and RTD on September 2021. Got my PR last December 2021 and still haven’t heard the team in charge of the RTD applications. Meanwhile, my friend applied for RTD in March 2021 and got it around November 2021.

Ghess23

Apr 11, 2014
The questions might seems not stressing but They typically don't ask those kind of questions if you travelled back with your RTD. Provided you have protected status, CBSA role is gather preliminary information and refer to IRCC if there is ground for cessation application, if there is, IRCC will make contact for the interview at later stage. I think best advise to give is "whatever you have to do; stay away from passport of origin and home country". I dont take what happened to other peoples, but what the law is. Sometimes Minister may not pick interest on a file, but sometimes they do...
That's not true. I travelled with my RTD to Germany and was asked if I went to my home country even though it's nowhere even new Germany.

Mr305

Jan 26, 2018
I have a question guys. Please answer. I surrendered my home country of origin when i applied for Refugre travel documents 4 years ago. But Now I got my Canadian citizenship . Can I get back my home country of origin passport as its still not expired. Can I request it??

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have a question guys. Please answer. I surrendered my home country of origin when i applied for Refugre travel documents 4 years ago. But Now I got my Canadian citizenship . Can I get back my home country of origin passport as its still not expired. Can I request it??
Yes you can request it. Whether you can use it is a different story. You must enter Canada using your Canadian Passport. Your previous home country may not allow dual citizenship.

Mr305

Jan 26, 2018
Yes you can request it. Whether you can use it is a different story. You must enter Canada using your Canadian Passport. Your previous home country may not allow dual citizenship.
Thanks for your answer. My country accept dual citizenship.