+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

Nick_150

Star Member
Jun 4, 2017
I finally got the epost link after calling them everyday until I got to talk to a nice and helpful lady .

Now ,do I need to scan all documents including the passport photo ? I also have the expiered RTD ,need to sent it back ?

Thank you in advance .

shrfkhtb

Oct 22, 2020
Hello everyone, I applied for a refugee travel document by mail and was received on Oct 06 . I explained on my letter with the package I sent to them by mail that it's a business trip and gave the dates for travel. Do I have to send a web form or just wait 20 days?

Odonga

Oct 28, 2020
Hello everybody,

I am currently visiting Turkey and I only have one month visa on my refugee travel document. I want to extend my stay in Turkey because I hadn’t seen my family for 4 years. So if I apply for an extension which is called temporary residence permit here in Turkey, would that be a problem for me. I mean on the last page of the RTD it says:

“If the bearer takes up residence abroad,

permanent resident status in Canada

may be forfeited. This travel document

then becomes invalid and the bearer

must submit an application to the

authorities of the new country of

residence to obtain a travel document”.

So what does it means exactly. If I stay in Turkey for a couple of months extra legally, would that forfeit my staus in Canada? Can someone please explain?

NewinKit

Star Member
Apr 4, 2019
I finally got the epost link after calling them everyday until I got to talk to a nice and helpful lady .

Now ,do I need to scan all documents including the passport photo ? I also have the expiered RTD ,need to sent it back ?

Thank you in advance .
Same thing happened to me yesterday! I guess we spoke to the same lady :)

From my understanding, any previous travel documents must be mailed back, but if you want them to return it to you because it has a valid visa then you have to send along a letter explaning so, and then they will mail it back. I hope that helps.

Reactions: Nick_150

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello everybody,

I am currently visiting Turkey and I only have one month visa on my refugee travel document. I want to extend my stay in Turkey because I hadn’t seen my family for 4 years. So if I apply for an extension which is called temporary residence permit here in Turkey, would that be a problem for me. I mean on the last page of the RTD it says:

“If the bearer takes up residence abroad,

permanent resident status in Canada

may be forfeited. This travel document

then becomes invalid and the bearer

must submit an application to the

authorities of the new country of

residence to obtain a travel document”.

So what does it means exactly. If I stay in Turkey for a couple of months extra legally, would that forfeit my staus in Canada? Can someone please explain?
There wont be any issues provided you dont acquire residency, in this case turkish residence permit.

Nick_150

Star Member
Jun 4, 2017
Same thing happened to me yesterday! I guess we spoke to the same lady :)

From my understanding, any previous travel documents must be mailed back, but if you want them to return it to you because it has a valid visa then you have to send along a letter explaning so, and then they will mail it back. I hope that helps.
My previus RTD is expiered and does not have any visa. But in epost instructions and the application says ”You must return any Valid Canadian Travel Document issued in the applicants”s name in the last 5 years ....” so mine is expiered means that is not valid anymore and I guess I don”t have to send it back.
And Congrats by the way ! .

Mr.speaker

Sep 22, 2018
Hi all,
I have a travel document and PR card, and I will travel to KSA by British airways and I have 11 hours transit in London.
Can I enter to London with my PR? Or I need to apply for transit visa?
Thanks

Nick_150

Star Member
Jun 4, 2017
Hi all,
I have a travel document and PR card, and I will travel to KSA by British airways and I have 11 hours transit in London.
Can I enter to London with my PR? Or I need to apply for transit visa?
Thanks
If you are not gonna leave the airport during your transit, no need visa. Also depends of your nationality ,if for citizens of your home country no need visa for UK, then so for you .

shrfkhtb

Oct 22, 2020
Hello everyone, I applied for a refugee travel document by mail and was received on Oct 06 . I explained on my letter with the package I sent to them by mail that it's a business trip and gave the dates for travel. Do I have to send a web form or just wait 20 days?
I've just sent a web form and received an automated message , my application is mailed to them on Oct 6 .Waiting

Mr.speaker

Sep 22, 2018
Hi all,

I am a refugee and when I got my decision I applied for travel document. And when I got my PR they gave National passport.
In 2020, I applied again for new travel document because the first one already expired.
They ask me to send them the old travel document and my National passport because it was not expired that time, and they gave this email (ircc.cnnationalpassport-passeportnationalrc.ircc@cic.gc.ca) to ask for return after they expired.
Now I applied for citizenship and I know they will ask for photo copies of all my passports pages ( this is a new process for all citizenship application)
I have sent them 4 emails since June 20,21, and no responses.
Anyone have got his passport back from them?

NaAzaAn

May 26, 2021
Hi all,

I am a refugee and when I got my decision I applied for travel document. And when I got my PR they gave National passport.
In 2020, I applied again for new travel document because the first one already expired.
They ask me to send them the old travel document and my National passport because it was not expired that time, and they gave this email (ircc.cnnationalpassport-passeportnationalrc.ircc@cic.gc.ca) to ask for return after they expired.
Now I applied for citizenship and I know they will ask for photo copies of all my passports pages ( this is a new process for all citizenship application)
I have sent them 4 emails since June 20,21, and no responses.
Anyone have got his passport back from them?
Hi.They need photo copies of our passports even if they’re expired?!