+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

Rafffff

Star Member
Jan 17, 2019
Hey guys, my RTD is gonna expire in few months and I will need to renew it, and i am expecting my PR confirmation very soon. Does it make more sense to wait for pr and then apply for renewal? Or just do it now? The reason I am asking is because I heard you get 5 year RTD if you renew with pr as opposed to applying without. How accurate is this information?

Reactions: Yuki.03

adbcca

Feb 21, 2019
Hey guys, my RTD is gonna expire in few months and I will need to renew it, and i am expecting my PR confirmation very soon. Does it make more sense to wait for pr and then apply for renewal? Or just do it now? The reason I am asking is because I heard you get 5 year RTD if you renew with pr as opposed to applying without. How accurate is this information?
100% accurate

SPIRATY

Star Member
Oct 4, 2019
I’m not a lawyer, just a person who likes clarity. I am very proud to call Canada my new home. I want continue traveling and explore the world, but at the same time stay I want to stay mindful, and avoid doing anything wrong that would compromise my PR or Refugee status here. Some terms are below being simplified. Nox Vidmate VLC

Last edited:
Reactions: babil

Ghess23

Apr 11, 2014
YES! I’m planning to wait too. 5 years beats 2 years quick

Reactions: Yuki.03

luckyrefugee

Mar 5, 2019
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
CPC missisuaga
App. Filed.......
10-12-2019
AOR Received.
26-11-2020
Med's Request
19-04-2021
Med's Done....
19-04-2021
LANDED..........
21-04-2021
Got my RTD in 5 weeks. Applied Nov 16th 2020. Received Dec 21st 2020. RENEWAL APPLICATION......
Do we need to send the old one or we can keep it. For my case I have a valid Usa visa on it

traveler007

Nov 1, 2018
Do we need to send the old one or we can keep it. For my case I have a valid Usa visa on it
You have to mail it to them with the application,and include an explanation letter to them that you want it back because you have a visa on it,they will return it with the new one.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Armaani

Whiskey2020

Apr 8, 2020
If we came to Canada through border crossing from USA can we visit to USA again on RTD ?
I have asked the same question over and over but what I understand is that it very difficult because they will ask you if have been in state before and when or how did you Exit the country. I have two kids there that miss a lot and wanted to go see them but I have heard anyone here that crossed the border and visit with RTD.