+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

xxffgg

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
Anyone know how to answer the following question for the RTD application?

Do you have any valid travel document?
-No - Yes (enclose original). If not in possession explain why.

>>My passport is still valid but its with IRCC CBSA, and haven't seen it in ages, so what do i say? YES, however it's with IRCC when i claimed refugee and now processing for PR. Or just a NO?
My answer was: YES

In the explanation I wrote it was seized when claim was introduced.. and I enclosed the Notice of Seizure

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Yesterday I applied to US visa with my PR card and my refugees travel documents.

They can’t issue a US visa they said because basically I lied saying that I was going to Florida when my real intentions was coming to Canada and claim for asylum .

So I said to her (always polite ), even when my life was on risk you want me to go back to my country instead of coming to Canada?? That’s not fair. I said thank you very much for the information.

So yes , if you had a US visa and you cross the border seeking for asylum in Canada the probability being refused a usa visa are higher.

So I guess that I’m banned to go to the states .

It is what it is! Life continues in this beautiful country Canada !
I'm sorry to hear about that Albertooo. Even though it's unfortunate that your visa got refused, I do see where the officer is coming from. The way they see it is that you applied for a US visitor visa primarily to visit the US but in fact you used it as a mean to enter Canada and claim refugee status due to unfortunate personal issues in your home country. In their opinion the system has been abused (even though you had a legitimate humanitarian reason to seek entry into Canada) and that's a big no no for any country. Look at the bright side, you are now a Permanent Resident of Canada and can live and work anywhere in this great country. I wish you all the best.

Cheers!

Reactions: canuck78

Hi123fmfncjr

Star Member
Jun 28, 2019
For anyone that didn't cross illegally from the US.

Take your I-94 form which can be downloaded online from homeland security. Have your entries, and exits i.e I-94 with you, a smile, and it shouldn't be an issue. They give 10 years multiple entries. But by then hopefully you are a citizen.

xxffgg

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
For anyone that didn't cross illegally from the US.

Take your I-94 form which can be downloaded online from homeland security. Have your entries, and exits i.e I-94 with you, a smile, and it shouldn't be an issue. They give 10 years multiple entries. But by then hopefully you are a citizen.
Since you mention this.. I wonder.. My RTD is valid for 2 years, I'll have to renew it somewhere in 2021.. What will happen with any Visa in my RTD? Passport Canada can return my expired RTD so I can use any Visa I have? or should I ask for a new one even though I already have a 2+ yr. visa?

Hi123fmfncjr

Star Member
Jun 28, 2019
When I had a US visa and my national passport expired, i got a new passport and had visa stamp in the old passport. every-time i got to the US border i showed the officer the old passport and the new passport, and it was fine

however i know passport canada will ask for the old one back, perhaps explain you need to keep it then

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
When I had a US visa and my national passport expired, i got a new passport and had visa stamp in the old passport. every-time i got to the US border i showed the officer the old passport and the new passport, and it was fine

however i know passport canada will ask for the old one back, perhaps explain you need to keep it then
There's now a new option on the new RTD form where you can ask them to mail the old RTD back to you along with the new one.

Sep 1, 2019
Salutations
I hope you are doing well!

I just would like to ask you depending on your experience with RTD.

I am a protected person and I have a notice of decision. If I have RTD, will I be able to travel and come back to Canada with no issues? I would like to note that I don't have my PR card yet.

Sincerely,

GioReyes94

Oct 21, 2018
Salutations
I hope you are doing well!

I just would like to ask you depending on your experience with RTD.

I am a protected person and I have a notice of decision. If I have RTD, will I be able to travel and come back to Canada with no issues? I would like to note that I don't have my PR card yet.

Sincerely,
Only 2 countries that I know of let you come in without visa and without PR, Hungary and Germany. Also heard that Cuba depending on the airline

Reactions: FRM

Bkh

Aug 22, 2019
Hi, everyone , is there a spreadsheet for the countries which we can travel without visa ?

I went I to Germany and Mexico without having any problems ,
I know someone wen to Cyprus with no visa ,

Anyone visited , Guatemala , Belize or any other south ,Central American countries ?

Thanks

Reactions: Ask_ask

mohi42

Aug 31, 2019
Hi,
Anybody has an experience Traveling to Malaysia and singapore with RTD, please can you share it, and which Airlines are accepting RTD to Malaysia and Singapore

Rahim khan

Mar 10, 2019
london
Category........
VISIT
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Hi friends, can I travel India with travel documents? Do I need India visa ?

xxffgg

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
So it's been 6 days since I attended my US Visa (B1/B2) interview and my status is "Administrative Processing", the VO kept my RTD and told me "Your visa is approved" but I'm still waiting.. I had a valid US Visa on my national passport (Seized by Canadian authorities) so idk if the US consulate is checking this with the Canadian government or what, but I'm still waiting.. has anyone experienced the same situation??