+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

Keliwal

Star Member
Mar 23, 2019
Did anyone try to get Uzbekistan or Tajikistan Visa on a Refugee Travel Document? If yes, please share your experience.

Fpas

Star Member
Mar 15, 2019
Hello!
Have you received any respond? I have the same situation. I had a valid American Visa in my old passport (sized for immigration) but my Visa appointment is for October 29, 2019.
Any recommendations for the interview? Thanks!

So it's been 6 days since I attended my US Visa (B1/B2) interview and my status is "Administrative Processing", the VO kept my RTD and told me "Your visa is approved" but I'm still waiting.. I had a valid US Visa on my national passport (Seized by Canadian authorities) so idk if the US consulate is checking this with the Canadian government or what, but I'm still waiting.. has anyone experienced the same situation??
!

xxffgg

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hello!
Have you received any respond? I have the same situation. I had a valid American Visa in my old passport (sized for immigration) but my Visa appointment is for October 29, 2019.
Any recommendations for the interview? Thanks!

!
Not yet... still waiting..

the Interview was pretty straight forward.. they asked if I had a job, where in the U.S. i'm planning to go, for how long, if I've been in the U.S before, if I have any immediate family in the U.S. and they asked if my previous visa was cancelled or revoked to which I answered it was seized by Canadian authorities.. after that the VO didn't ask for any supporting documentation on my answers, and said "Your visa is approved".. I did not handle a single sheet of paper to the VO.. just my RTD..

mehranjadoon

Sep 5, 2019
Hi Guys,

I entered in Canada through US. On my seized passport I had a US visa B1/B2 which is still valid for another 4 years. I want to travel to USA now after I have my decision on a claim for holiday purpose. Can I use that visa or do I have to apply for a new one? What is the process?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Mehran

xxffgg

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hi Guys,

I entered in Canada through US. On my seized passport I had a US visa B1/B2 which is still valid for another 4 years. I want to travel to USA now after I have my decision on a claim for holiday purpose. Can I use that visa or do I have to apply for a new one? What is the process?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Mehran
You won't be able to use your old passport because it won't be in your hands.. Once you receive a positive decision, you have to apply for a Travel Document.. and then, apply for a new U.S. visa..that takes time, at least one month for the travel document, one or two months for the U.S. Interview (depending on the consulate) and, in my case, I'm still waiting to receive the travel document back from the U.S. Consulate..

I'd say this whole process can take about 3 months..

Reactions: mehranjadoon

xxffgg

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
I forgot to say, according to some members of this forum, crossing US-Canada border to claim asylum in Canada is something the U.S. authorities see as a "misuse" of your U.S. Visa and a rejection is really feasible for the ones that did this "illegal" crossing..

Riri

Sep 28, 2013
I was wondering. My Dad has travel document in canada. Is he able to obtain a swiss visa to go to swiss? He is a Permanent resident of canada for 8+years.

xxffgg

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
I was wondering. My Dad has travel document in canada. Is he able to obtain a swiss visa to go to swiss? He is a Permanent resident of canada for 8+years.
Check with the Swiss embassy/consulte whether they accept travel document or not.. if they accept TD, I don't see a reason to not been able to receive a Visa..

UnRefugiado

Mar 24, 2018
Greetings friends,

I am a protected person in Canada I got my RTD and I travelled in one opportunity to US for 3 days and came back.

This time Im planning to go again but for a longer period. My permanent residency is still in process.
My questions are :

1. Can I travel outside of Canada while they are processing my Permanent Residency?
2. Is there any maximum time that I can to be outside of Canada or not?

Onetv1

Star Member
May 15, 2018
Hello folks,
Do you have experience that Air Canada accepts RTD? I’ve booked a flight via Air Canada. Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Greetings friends,

I am a protected person in Canada I got my RTD and I travelled in one opportunity to US for 3 days and came back.

This time Im planning to go again but for a longer period. My permanent residency is still in process.
My questions are :

1. Can I travel outside of Canada while they are processing my Permanent Residency?
1. That will be up to the US border agent. Assume you have a visa.

hamasi

Star Member
Jun 16, 2018
Hi my friends, i just got my note of decision from ircc, i want to apply for a travel document,the problem is,i dont have a guarantor,my family doctor denied to sign it,can somebody else sign the papers as a guarantor?like a close family member or a friend? Or as they mentioned in the check list it should be one of those professions like family doctor or dentist ot lawyer or etc?

xxffgg

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hi my friends, i just got my note of decision from ircc, i want to apply for a travel document,the problem is,i dont have a guarantor,my family doctor denied to sign it,can somebody else sign the papers as a guarantor?like a close family member or a friend? Or as they mentioned in the check list it should be one of those professions like family doctor or dentist ot lawyer or etc?
Unfortunately it has to be one of the professionals listed on the check list.. if your friend is a PA (Professional Accountant) a PEng (Professional Engineer) Police, Teacher, etc.. he/she can sign.. if not, you'll have to complete form PPTC 326 at any Passport Program regional office...

Reactions: hamasi

xxffgg

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
Greetings friends,

My questions are :

1. yes, I think you can travel while they process your PR, actually, there's no point on issue a RTD to non-PR if they won't allow you to travel outside Canada.

2. If you stay outside Canada for more than 6 months you'll lose your Provincial Insurance (and this applies even to Canadian Citizens), so I'd say the maximum you can stay outside Canada is 179 days.

Skyline2019

Feb 14, 2019
I
If u knw any pharmacist from whom u buy yr medicines u can request /ask him to sign it ..

Reactions: hamasi