+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

Ask_ask

Aug 15, 2019
You do not need visa to Mexico with your Canadian RTD. I went there at least 10 times in the past 4 years, so book your trip and go :)
Also, you don’t need it for Cuba, Bermuda, and Dominican Republic - 100% confirmed as I have travelled there before with my RTD.

In addition to that, there are a few European countries in the Schengen zone that waive a visa requirement for the RTD holders - Germany is one of them. 100% confirmed. Also, Italy has recently joined this list - I have applied for the visa to Italy, but they closed my application and said I no longer need a Schengen visa if I’m a RTD holder. Those are the countries I can speak for.
But there are more - I’ve heard Slovenia, Slovakia, and Hungry are in that list too, but I would double check with their embassies just in case.
Thank you very much for the quick reply! Did you travel with air canada? I was just hesitant bcz of the iata website.

xichanmontreal

Star Member
Nov 26, 2018
You do not need visa to Mexico with your Canadian RTD. I went there at least 10 times in the past 4 years, so book your trip and go :)
Also, you don’t need it for Cuba, Bermuda, and Dominican Republic - 100% confirmed as I have travelled there before with my RTD.

In addition to that, there are a few European countries in the Schengen zone that waive a visa requirement for the RTD holders - Germany is one of them. 100% confirmed. Also, Italy has recently joined this list - I have applied for the visa to Italy, but they closed my application and said I no longer need a Schengen visa if I’m a RTD holder. Those are the countries I can speak for.
But there are more - I’ve heard Slovenia, Slovakia, and Hungry are in that list too, but I would double check with their embassies just in case.

you have not thought in more than 4 years to ask for Canadian Citizenship ? ... Just asking .... Sorry , i'm curious

And regarding Italy, there is still a GREAT CONFUSION ... I strongly advise against going there directly, prefer Germany first.

(the consulate of montreal italy told me about the need for a visa, while the montreal consulate said no ... + the iata tool, the same as the boarding agent used, which says you in need = risk of being denied boarding)

Last edited:

NewinKit

Star Member
Apr 4, 2019
I often see comments that if travelling to Germany with Travel document and no PR, it always best to book direct flights, and Frankfurt is always recommended. Would it be a problem if I take an indirect flight?

Aug 20, 2019
hello there.. my travel document was approved on 9th of august,but still they have not despatched until 18th of august,can any one any idea about it?

Onetv1

Star Member
May 15, 2018
Hi friends, I am traveling to Turkey and I’ve 4 hours transit in Boryspil, Ukrine. With Ukrine Airline. Do I need Ukrine transit visa. I am protected person with RTD.

Thanks

Skyline2019

Feb 14, 2019
Hello everyone, i have a stoppver at china, Beijing airport. Just wondering Whether it’s required to have a visa to spend some time in Beijing??

Reactions: FRM

Newboy01

Aug 16, 2016
Is the Canadian Refugee travel document can travel to singapore free visa? Or Thailand? I am originally from the Philippines.

Mahimahi123

Aug 23, 2019
Hi Rainbowbee,

Thanks for this info. Quick question, I have a RTD but need to travel with minor kids to the US. I came to Canada on my own, went to the hearing on my own BUT I included them to "accompany" me on my PR application. So my PR and theirs was processed at the same time. They landed as PR a year later. My question is are they refugees or only I am? Are they good to use home country passports?
Hi guys,

I'm refugee and I got my PR finally yesterday, I crossed illegally to Canada from USA, I had a valid visitor visa to US that time.
My question : I want to apply for USA visa, using my RTD & PR.
Is there anyone have a same experience?
Do I have chance to get a visa?
hi can i ask you how long it take for you to get you PR? I have applied on june 17th and haven’t got any updates

Paladinrules

Star Member
Apr 26, 2019
hi can i ask you how long it take for you to get you PR? I have applied on june 17th and haven’t got any updates
Hi there, you have crossed processing time. You can call 1-888-242-2100, after callling select travel documents, you should be then connected to a operator please tell them you date of application and they will let you know the application status and also if any step to take. Sometimes references do not receive call so they ask for new ref. Good luck with your application. As i have got my RTD with in 20 working days, but my wife's one took more than two months due to references do not pick up call. Keep in mind they only call once and if references do not call back, you have to provide new ref. Good day buddy.

GioReyes94

Oct 21, 2018
Hello all,

I wanted to share my personal experience with RTD entering Bosnia. It was very smooth at the border. You can stay up to 6 months in one year. I connected in Munich to be at the safe side.

Thanks
Hey, last year I went to Germany, Czech Republic and Hungary with RTD and no visa, everything was fine, this year I want to go to Serbia, Bosnia and Croatia, did you cross by land? Were there any questions?

Aug 20, 2019
hello friends....with RTD can i be able to travel via london or US TRANISTS? And i also need know to which are Airlines can RTD holders can travel with?

Albertooo

May 17, 2018
Yesterday I applied to US visa with my PR card and my refugees travel documents.

They can’t issue a US visa they said because basically I lied saying that I was going to Florida when my real intentions was coming to Canada and claim for asylum .

So I said to her (always polite ), even when my life was on risk you want me to go back to my country instead of coming to Canada?? That’s not fair. I said thank you very much for the information.

So yes , if you had a US visa and you cross the border seeking for asylum in Canada the probability being refused a usa visa are higher.

So I guess that I’m banned to go to the states .

It is what it is! Life continues in this beautiful country Canada !

Reactions: Yeanie729

Hi123fmfncjr

Star Member
Jun 28, 2019
Anyone know how to answer the following question for the RTD application?

Do you have any valid travel document?
-No - Yes (enclose original). If not in possession explain why.

>>My passport is still valid but its with IRCC CBSA, and haven't seen it in ages, so what do i say? YES, however it's with IRCC when i claimed refugee and now processing for PR. Or just a NO?