+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
Hi,could you share with your friend’s experience who travelled to turkey????
Thank you!!!!
Hi Tony,

my friend travelled to Turkey for a month vacation with RTD. She had no issues with boarding , immigration. They simply accepted it but checked temperature for COVID 19. She stayed in a hotel and then moved to relatives. Recently she came back and had to quarantine for 14 daysat her own place. She received a couple of calls from CBSA about her well being and warned her not to go out. Her quarantine will be over on 23 September. All is well

Tony5

Sep 19, 2020
Hi Tony,

my friend travelled to Turkey for a month vacation with RTD. She had no issues with boarding , immigration. They simply accepted it but checked temperature for COVID 19. She stayed in a hotel and then moved to relatives. Recently she came back and had to quarantine for 14 daysat her own place. She received a couple of calls from CBSA about her well being and warned her not to go out. Her quarantine will be over on 23 September. All is well
Does she has only Rtd?or visa as well??

Heritier

Jun 24, 2018
I think you should reconsider going to Mexico because I don't think they accept RTD!! I have a friend in 2016 that travel to Mexico with US RTD and they refused him from entering, and also a friend travels with Costa Rica RTD and the same happens. They told them that they don't accept RTD so check well before making a move.
In their embassy website it says that Canada PR with RTD are visa free to Mexico. I think your friend tried to go without PR card. The one is Costa Rica should apply for a visa. But i want experience with people holdind a Canadian Certificate of Identity with PR card. RTD is different from COI.

Anonyref

May 3, 2020
Hey guys, just wanted to give you all an update:

I applied for renewal of my RTD on July and my application was received on the 25th. I recently became a PR and I used the COPR as my main imm. Document. I called couple days ago and they told me that the COPR wasnt sufficient in order to obtain the RTD so I sent them my NOD instead because my PR card isn't here yet. I will keep you all posted in the matter. Good news is that they are processing the RTDs. Although processing time is much longer now, things are still moving. I will call IRCC again sometime next week for further updates.

Since I am here, id like to ask a question:

Even though I am a PR but I applied with the NOD instead due to the fact that the PR card isn't here, will I get a validity of 2 years or 5 years for my rtd? Thank you in advance for your responses. :)

Reactions: Mano1110786

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
Hey guys, just wanted to give you all an update:

I applied for renewal of my RTD on July and my application was received on the 25th. I recently became a PR and I used the COPR as my main imm. Document. I called couple days ago and they told me that the COPR wasnt sufficient in order to obtain the RTD so I sent them my NOD instead because my PR card isn't here yet. I will keep you all posted in the matter. Good news is that they are processing the RTDs. Although processing time is much longer now, things are still moving. I will call IRCC again sometime next week for further updates.

Since I am here, id like to ask a question:

Even though I am a PR but I applied with the NOD instead due to the fact that the PR card isn't here, will I get a validity of 2 years or 5 years for my rtd? Thank you in advance for your responses. :)
What a good news is this that are working on RTD now. I’m PR with a PR card now and want renew my RTD on urgent basis though. Answer to your question is that you will get 5 years RTD now as you are Permanent resident now. Please guide me too as I want to submit my application this week .what documents are to
Be attached ? Did you pay an urgent fee and when did you apply?

Farishta Karimi

Sep 21, 2020
Hello everyone, I want to apply for refugee travel document. I currently live in Toronto. I want to visit Pakistan (which is not my country of citizenship) to see my mother who is sick. I have asked for a letter from hospital where my mother is admitted. Is it enough to show I need urgent RTD? Also please guide me about the steps. How long will it take to get urgent RTD ?

Farishta Karimi

Sep 21, 2020
Pakistan Visa from where? Are you in Canada?
I am also interested in knowing about the process of getting Pakistan visa from Toronto. The consulate of Pakistan's website says that I should present utility bill as proof of address, however, my utility bill isn't under my name. Any suggestion about it?
Also, how long does it take to get a Pakistan visa ?

kelepirci

Star Member
Jan 22, 2020
Hello everyone, I want to apply for refugee travel document. I currently live in Toronto. I want to visit Pakistan (which is not my country of citizenship) to see my mother who is sick. I have asked for a letter from hospital where my mother is admitted. Is it enough to show I need urgent RTD? Also please guide me about the steps. How long will it take to get urgent RTD ?
First check following website about urgent travel document application:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/passport.html#travel-document

Then:
Get urgent refugee travel document or certificate of identity services
Fill out the IRCC Web form:
  • select the category for a certificate of identity or a refugee travel document
  • include your travel date
  • include the reason you need urgent services
Do not forget to include the explenation letter from your mother's doctor. And try to explain your reason to be with your mother clearly.

After 3 to 5 business day IRCC will contact you if they deem your situation is urgent and refer your case to urgent travel document application department. Someone from travel document department will be contacting you about your application and will ask to mail the application package. From there it is all regular RTD application process.

It may take more then a week to process your RTD application and another week to receive your RTD.

Reactions: Farishta Karimi

Anonyref

May 3, 2020
What a good news is this that are working on RTD now. I’m PR with a PR card now and want renew my RTD on urgent basis though. Answer to your question is that you will get 5 years RTD now as you are Permanent resident now. Please guide me too as I want to submit my application this week .what documents are to
Be attached ? Did you pay an urgent fee and when did you apply?

Hey, thank you for answering my question :)

so I applied on a regular basis, no urgent application. I just filled up the application form, included photos, paid the regular fee online and attached the receipt and sent it out, nothing specific.

In terms of urgent basis, you can try this: attach a letter of explanation and clarify why you have to travel urgently. I have not paid any urgent fee, just the regular 120$ they ask and that's it. I am sure that if you qualify for urgent processing they will contact you to pay extra. Also, give them a call and ask advice from the IRCC agent. Some of them are very kind and helpful and they will try answering your questions to the best of their ability. Ask them if the reason you need urgent services is eligible and you can follow whatever step they will reccommend. My best suggestion is for you to apply nevertheless. Keep in mind though that you will have to.give them your PR card with your application, so make sure you get an estimate of how long it will take for the RTD to be processed before submitting it. You don't want to stay without your PR for that.long. Also, they will not accept COPR, but they will be okay with an NOD instead.

I hope this info is helpful for you. :)