+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

Gracefied

Jun 23, 2021
Send them webform they are really fast will respond in a day or two.
I already did, I applied in April and got tracking and it shows delivered, it was after waiting throughout May that I contacted them... they approved urgent, I have uploaded the docs in epost platform(I kept photocopies which I used now) but they are not responding, I have called IRCC three times this week and they say it is not in the system yet... travel is next week, I included the ticket as well... I am desperate now, if I can get the Fax no, I am hoping it will work.

Waqas006

Sep 4, 2019
Personally my first step would be to contact the Turkish embassy in Ottawa to make sure that a person with refugee status in Canada can get married in Turkey.

Canada.ca listed common documents to get married abroad:

But you might be asked to provide more or less documents than someone who can access their home country services.

You would also need to apply for Turkish visa (you cannot get eVisa with RTD).

Your future spouse should start working on her docs, she also needs to contact the Turkish embassy in Pakistan to get the required documents.

Remember: The marriage has to be conducted as a civil ceremony not a religious ceremony, otherwise Canada won't acknowledge the marriage.

I hope people here have more information, but once again you should contact the Turkish embassy as soon as possible.

Good luck
Thanks alot for all the information really helps

shrfkhtb

Oct 22, 2020
Hello every one ,
Can I live and work outside Canada with a Refugee Travel Document? and for how long ?
Thanks

Ratmir

Jun 9, 2017
How to show the urgency of the travel? What documentation they need? Do they need any or I should just explain and give my travel date?
Sorry for the very late response I saw it now.

don't know my answer will be useful for now, but urgent I mentioned my father and his medical situation, and only I could look after him, asked them to help me to get the travel document.
Thanks to them, they understood all and make it happen I could get a travel document.

Just if it is urgent mention it and if needed prove it with some documents. good luck

imadeddin

Jul 5, 2016
Can one extend a travel document expiring in few months? Mine will expire in January 2022 and to get a visa a travel document has to be valid for six months at least. Any experience with this. Thanks

minaalrubaye

Star Member
Mar 11, 2018
Can one extend a travel document expiring in few months? Mine will expire in January 2022 and to get a visa a travel document has to be valid for six months at least. Any experience with this. Thanks
Travel documents are not extendable from my understanding of the system. You need to apply for a new one if your travel document expires in one year or less.
Now with covid, of course, this process has been extremely stressful and crushing. I sent my application on May 10th, took a whole month to convince them that I need a RTD (family abroad). Long story short- I just kept calling and sending webforms. So on June 10th, they asked for additional documents, and no other updates since that day. Just waiting as usual.
A useful tip I can suggest here is as follows (assuming you would be wiling to travel to Turkey): Turkey will allow anyone who has a document that is valid for at least 60 days from the day the visa becomes valid . Just make sure you bring proof of that to the airport to avoid any problems.
I copied this from the government of turkey website:
“Example B: In order to enter Turkey having a visa with 30 days “duration of stay”, foreigners should hold a travel document valid at least for an additional 60 days which totals to 90 days (30 days + 60 days) of validity at the time of entrance.”

Reactions: imadeddin

farsxp

Apr 19, 2019
The most complete update for Urgent RTD on July 15 2021: (How it works to get an RTD)
I applied by mail because my travel was not urgent. Then an urgency came up and I applied for urgent RTD. YOU HAVE TO APPLY FIRST BY SENDING THEM A WEBFORM. No documents needed just explain the urgency. The webform is a hit and miss. Mine was accepted on the first try. My wife's webform was accepted on the 3rd try! Funny! Keep sending webforms left and right and mention the urgency of your travel until one of the recipients accepts your urgency. It seems there are 2 different departments taking care of RTD by working together.1. IRCC webform guys and 2. The application processing guys. The first guys only determine if your story fits an urgent travel and if yes, they send your request to the processing guys. They will send you either an epost to send your electronic application (you have to create an epost account) or they push your mailed application forward like mine by asking (calling you) for your tracking number. In general, it is very chaotic! I hope the Quebec office opens ASAP so all will get their RTDs. I have paid for the application online because I changed my credit card and someone called me to pay online then FAX them the receipts. Oh God, who uses fax these days? :D So I did. And still we are waiting for our RTDs, we will propably get them in the mail next week as the guy calling me said they are ready to send our RTDs for printing. If we are lucky we get them soon.
PS: They said to get an update by calling IRCC. You cannot reach an agent by calling IRCC. Don't waste your time. They process applications at their own pace and based on their will. Good luck getting your RTDs.

Besttee

Star Member
Nov 8, 2020
The most complete update for Urgent RTD on July 15 2021: (How it works to get an RTD)
I applied by mail because my travel was not urgent. Then an urgency came up and I applied for urgent RTD. YOU HAVE TO APPLY FIRST BY SENDING THEM A WEBFORM. No documents needed just explain the urgency. The webform is a hit and miss. Mine was accepted on the first try. My wife's webform was accepted on the 3rd try! Funny! Keep sending webforms left and right and mention the urgency of your travel until one of the recipients accepts your urgency. It seems there are 2 different departments taking care of RTD by working together.1. IRCC webform guys and 2. The application processing guys. The first guys only determine if your story fits an urgent travel and if yes, they send your request to the processing guys. They will send you either an epost to send your electronic application (you have to create an epost account) or they push your mailed application forward like mine by asking (calling you) for your tracking number. In general, it is very chaotic! I hope the Quebec office opens ASAP so all will get their RTDs. I have paid for the application online because I changed my credit card and someone called me to pay online then FAX them the receipts. Oh God, who uses fax these days? :D So I did. And still we are waiting for our RTDs, we will propably get them in the mail next week as the guy calling me said they are ready to send our RTDs for printing. If we are lucky we get them soon.
PS: They said to get an update by calling IRCC. You cannot reach an agent by calling IRCC. Don't waste your time. They process applications at their own pace and based on their will. Good luck getting your RTDs.
That's for the heads up, does that mean non-urgent RTD application will start to be processed soon? When did you mail your application and has it been accepted under urgent RTD ?

farsxp

Apr 19, 2019
That's for the heads up, does that mean non-urgent RTD application will start to be processed soon? When did you mail your application and has it been accepted under urgent RTD ?
How did you make an inference that non-Urgent RTDs are going to be processed soon? I never said anything like that. All I was talking about in my previous post was "URGENT RTD".

zainghazi

Sep 4, 2019
London On
Hi All, I am waiting for the pr card for 4 months and look like will take longer than usual,
Can I apply for a travel document using the COPR letter?
thanks

minaalrubaye

Star Member
Mar 11, 2018
Hi All, I am waiting for the pr card for 4 months and look like will take longer than usual,
Can I apply for a travel document using the COPR letter?
thanks
Hello! No, please send your Notice of Decision instead. I made the mistake of sending my copr and NOT my notice of decision and this is why it’s taking much longer for me to get my RTD. So you would want to use your Notice of Decision!
best of luck

zainghazi

Sep 4, 2019
London On
Hello! No, please send your Notice of Decision instead. I made the mistake of sending my copr and NOT my notice of decision and this is why it’s taking much longer for me to get my RTD. So you would want to use your Notice of Decision!
best of luck
thank you , so did they reject ur application? or did they ask you to send the NOD instead?