+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

imadeddin

Jul 5, 2016
Hi guys!

Please I need your thoughts on this: my RTD is expiring in Feb 2022 and I need to renew it or extend it because I want to travel to be with my family as I have not seen them for 6 years and I cannot wait any longer. We are going to meet in another country. To get a visa, my RTD has to be vaild for 6 months at least and to apply for a visa, it will take at least a month. What am I supposed to do to get one? What is the best way to get one urgently? I am mentally sick and I need to be with them desperately. Please guide me. Thanks

NaAzaAn

May 26, 2021
Hello friends
I’ve read some threads that mentioned we should have urgent travel reasons for getting RTD.
So,if I get my PR card,still I should give urgent reasons for travel documents?
I can’t travel outside Canada without urgent reasons?

imadeddin

Jul 5, 2016
Hello friends
I’ve read some threads that mentioned we should have urgent travel reasons for getting RTD.
So,if I get my PR card,still I should give urgent reasons for travel documents?
I can’t travel outside Canada without urgent reasons?
You can travel but you need to get TRD which is impossible nowadays unless you have an urgent reason.

Refugee travel document and certificate of identity services are available for urgent travel only

Cool2021

Jul 30, 2021
Hi, my friend wants to renew her RTD, however, she had 2 year RTD before her PR which already expired. Now she wants to renew her RTD after first time, so question is does she need guarantor? Thanks

Hi1959

Jul 1, 2021
Hello
My question is after getting the travel document, after traveling , what to chose as travel document in ArriveCan app? Can someone please help?

Besttee

Star Member
Nov 8, 2020
Hi, my friend wants to renew her RTD, however, she had 2 year RTD before her PR which already expired. Now she wants to renew her RTD after first time, so question is does she need guarantor? Thanks
You will need a guarantor just the way you did previously. Include your PR card photocopy of the front & back, and signed by the guarantor so you can get 5yrs validity.

Sunshi

Nov 21, 2017
Hello everyone! I need some information about traveling to USA. i am a protected person and got PR but didn't apply for RTD yet. I have US visit visa on my passport. but As per law, we can't use that passport for travel further, we can only travel through Canadian Refugee travel documents now. My question is if i need to apply new visit visa for the United States to visit or i can re-avail my previous visa on Refugee travel documents?
Please guide me and advise.

Last edited:

IcloudUser1985

Star Member
Jul 5, 2021
i have a sick family member in a third country (country doesn't accept RTD) can i renew and then travel on my home country's passport?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello everyone! I need some information about traveling to USA. i am a protected person and got PR but didn't apply for RTD yet. I have US visit visa on my passport. but As per law, we can't use that passport for travel further, we can only travel through Canadian Refugee travel documents now. My question is if i need to apply new visit visa for the United States to visit or i can re-avail my previous visa on Refugee travel documents?
Please guide me and advise.
You need to apply for replacement visa, explain your situation and they will issue visa on your RTD

imadeddin

Jul 5, 2016
i have a sick family member in a third country (country doesn't accept RTD) can i renew and then travel on my home country's passport?
If you have a pr, you can use your home country to travel anywhere but not your country. My friend traveled to Jordan with his home country but he had his pr already. However, it is advisable to use your RTD to be on the safe side.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
If you have a pr, you can use your home country to travel anywhere but not your country. My friend traveled to Jordan with his home country but he had his pr already. However, it is advisable to use your RTD to be on the safe side.
Dont use your home country at all to travel to any country including your home country. A friend who did that, doesnt mean its okey, most likely there’ll be issue with the citizens application. Using passport comes with rights and protection of that country you are using passport to travel. That can be considered as cessation.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is incorrect. Use of your home country passport is considered traveling under the protection of your home country and this could lead to you losing your status in Canada. Your friend has put his status at risk in Canada. Once you have Canadian citizenship you can travel anywhere.

https://www.bellissimolawgroup.com/cessation-and-reavailment-could-i-lose-my-refugee-protection-and-my-permanent-residence-too/

Calgary21

Star Member
Jul 4, 2014
Calgary
Hello everyone, hope you all doing well, I would like to know if anyone have experience of getting RTD through ePost application , I applied mine on June 16 , I attached all documents and send my Previous RTD via Mail & also attached the receipt of Canada post the same day , They deducted the Fee $120 from my card after 2 days of application but since then there's no update, it's been almost 2 months now , any idea how long it's gonna take.
Will be highly appreciated for any kind of information from those who already go through the process.
Regards

canada619

Star Member
May 31, 2019
I filled webform and my urgent RTD process was sent to COI. However, I should have received Canada Post epost mail in 5 business days but I did not receive it. I have a valid travel document that is expiring in 6 months. However, in order to travel or make visa applications, I need RTD with at least 6 months validity. I sent more webform request asking I did not get my Canada Post e-mail. They responded with generic respond that says the agent who processed my urgent travel document request to COI took appropriate actions. However it seems like they did not. Or maybe because I have current valid travel document and they want me to wait for the expiration date of that RTD? Did anyone experience that kind of issue with urgent RTD application?