+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

NewinKit

Star Member
Apr 4, 2019
Hello there, asking on behalf of my friend. She sent her RTD for renewal and she confirmed today that her file was opened.. Can she request it to be processed urgently? Her reason to travel is to attend her only sister's wedding abroad (in a country where COVID is well handled). Can she provide proof and be considered for faster processing? or would she get it soon since her file was opened.

Thanks!!

Camelboy

Oct 21, 2012
Visa Office......
Nairobi
Hi Fellas,

Do we need to send original or copy of the PR card? Because I see some of you send the original PR card and that is very risky, if your application gets lost in the mail to get a replacement card will take you couple of months.

Another question, for renewal of the travel document do if my Certificate of Identity is expired should Iinclude the original document or a copy will be sufficient?

Thanks!

Benita bose

Apr 8, 2021
I created this topic to share my knowledge and experience with all of you. I will try to answer some important questions and concerns regarding travel as a Convention Refugee or a Protected Person living in Canada.

I’m not a lawyer, just a person who likes clarity. I am very proud to call Canada my new home. I want continue traveling and explore the world, but at the same time stay I want to stay mindful, and avoid doing anything wrong that would compromise my PR or Refugee status here. Some terms are below being simplified.

As most of you know, when you make your refugee claim, your passport is being seized by CIC or CBSA.

When my refugee claim was accepted I discovered that there are certain things we are not advised to do:

• Do not travel back to your home country
• Do not renew your home country’s passport.
• Do not travel on your home country’s passport, even to a third country, such as USA for example
• Just simply don’t have any contact with embassy of your home country.

All those things could put you at risk of losing your refugee status, because CBSA may interpret those actions as you no longer fear your home country, so you no longer need Canada’s protection.

I am not able to specify which law applies here and so on, but I know for sure that there are legal cases in which government took action and stripped or tried to strip person’s protection because they did one of above mentioned things.

Also it’s a matter of interpreting the law, so I think we should take those warnings seriously, it’s our lives and protection we are talking about.

If you want to get more information, I would suggest checking out Canadian Council for Refugees and other websites.

After I received a positive decision on my refugee claim, soon I applied for RTD and was able to get it. It says that the RTD validity period is determined by the issuing office. In my case it was issued for 2 years. I personally know at least four other cases, where people applied for RTD before becoming PRs and received it also for 2 years. So I guess it’s safe to assume that majority of people, before PR will get it for 2 years.

When I was applied for it, I noticed that on application form it says: “I understand that if I am issued a Canadian travel document and later obtain a passport issued by my country of citizenship, I am obliged to return the Canadian travel document to Passport Program, Citizenship and Immigration Canada.”

Obviously I started to get worried, because once I become a PR, CIC will return my national passport and in theory I must return RTD. I will have no choice, but to use my national passport to travel, but I don’t want to do that! What should I do?!

After more than two years, I got my PR interview, I got my passport back, at the end of my interview I decided to ask officer in person about my RTD dilemma.

So I did, I called them and I talked with call center agent at first, and explained my situation:

So finally after several minutes of back and forth, agent agreed to put a special call back request directly from “Certificate of Identity Section - Passport Program” located in Gatineau, QC.

Next day I received a call and talked with a senior officer from that department, I explained my situation to him and finally I got the missing peace of a puzzle.

Some important points and additional information:

• As a Convention Refugee or a Protected Person in Canada we do have a right to travel.

• In order to be able to travel internationally, we must have a valid Travel Document.

• The only Travel Document we entitled to is a Refugee Travel Document, forget about Certificate of Identity

• In order to apply for RTD you need to use an application form “[PPTC 190] Adult travel document application form”, form is universal and is used to apply for both – RTD and COI.

• After becoming a Permanent Resident, you are still considered to have a refugee status in Canada

• RTD issued for 2 years before PR and after becoming PR for 5 years

• If you got your national passport back when you became PR, do not use it, instead send it to “Certificate of Identity Section - Passport Program” along with your explanation letter

Travel Document - is an identity document issued by a government and allowing us to travel internationally. Generally, Travel Documents look like a passport-like booklets. The most common Travel Document is a Passport.

Government of Canada has a special department responsible for issuing Travel Documents for Refugees and Stateless Persons, and it’s called: “Certificate of Identity Section - Passport Program”, located in Gatineau, QC

That department is issuing two types of a Travel Documents:

1. Refugee Travel Document (light blue) (United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees, 1951 and its Protocol of 1967): issued to persons in Canada with protected person status, including Convention refugees and persons in need of protection

2. Certificate of identity (grey or formerly brown): issued to permanent residents of Canada who are not yet Canadian citizens, who are stateless or who are unable to obtain a national passport.

Personally I would advise everyone including myself, travel only using RTD, we shouldn’t put ourselves at risk. Getting RTD for 5 years is a great solution and hopefully by the time we need to renew it, we will have our Canadian Citizenship :)

I will mention it again, I am not a lawyer, just sharing summary of my findings with you. If you have additional questions or information, you are welcome to ask and contribute.
Thanks so much for sharing this important Information, My question is what are the steps you will follow in filling convention refugee form am lost

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
Anyone got RTD recently with PR card? I wonder if they would issue it with 5 years too during the pandemic

Elizabares

Apr 22, 2021
Hi guys!

My guarantor signed all my doc copies and mailed them to me. But I realized that he forgot to sign my notice of decision. He lives in Toronto, but I am in Ottawa. I was gonna mail my application tomorrow. Do you think nod needs to be signed or is it ok to send just a copy of it?

Calgary21

Star Member
Jul 4, 2014
Calgary
Hi guys!

My guarantor signed all my doc copies and mailed them to me. But I realized that he forgot to sign my notice of decision. He lives in Toronto, but I am in Ottawa. I was gonna mail my application tomorrow. Do you think nod needs to be signed or is it ok to send just a copy of it?
You need to send Original notice of Decision not copy , and No need to sign original document

Fpas

Star Member
Mar 15, 2019
Hello! Do any of you have the lalest guarantor's form? The one that it has to be fill out and sign when you cant find a guarantor. On the immigration Canada page say that I can get the form at any passport canada office, but they are closed now due to covid