+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

Ngarii

Nov 19, 2020
Hi everyone, I'm in the process of renewing my rtd. It will expire in June. Does anyone know if I will be needing a guarantor again or should I submit the forms without a guarantor?

Reactions: luckyrefugee

luckyrefugee

Mar 5, 2019
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
CPC missisuaga
App. Filed.......
10-12-2019
AOR Received.
26-11-2020
Med's Request
19-04-2021
Med's Done....
19-04-2021
LANDED..........
21-04-2021
Hi everyone, I'm in the process of renewing my rtd. It will expire in June. Does anyone know if I will be needing a guarantor again or should I submit the forms without a guarantor?
Same
Question is mine as well: please update me if you get any answer somehow

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
@Kaisa_18 do you know by any chance the number they call of the pr card applications?

I saw it somewhere on one of the threads, people were getting updates if the card is in production/ not started yet....etc. It's not the normal CIC number people call to ask for permanent residency applications.
I called the same IRCC number. You should choose option "renew my pr card" to be able to talk to an agent about the new card. FYI agents were useless in my situation but I wish you luck

Reactions: Fadros

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
we got COPR, still two years?
Yes, because CoPR is not a proof of immigration status. You have to sent NOD to get RTD.

so you mean, i cant change my travel document if i dont have any urgent reason/ purpose of travel listed on irc website, even though its expired?
Government website says so :
Services at the Certificate of Identity Office are suspended until further notice
If you submitted an application for a refugee travel document or certificate of identity, we’ll process it when service returns to normal.

If you need to travel urgently, find out how to get urgent travel document services.
But some posters here mentioned that they got their RTD without urgent reason so you can try and hopefully they'll process it normally

Reactions: hamasi and Fadros

imadeddin

Jul 5, 2016
Hello guys,

My travel document is going to expire in Feb 2022 and I am planning to travel to stay with my family in another country because the pr process will take a long time, clearly. I have not seen them for 5 years and we are mentally sick and cannot wait any more. My question is: Do you guys know if I can get another travel document while I am abroad? Please share your experience if you know anything.

Thanks

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
Hello guys,

My travel document is going to expire in Feb 2022 and I am planning to travel to stay with my family in another country because the pr process will take a long time, clearly. I have not seen them for 5 years and we are mentally sick and cannot wait any more. My question is: Do you guys know if I can get another travel document while I am abroad? Please share your experience if you know anything.

Thanks
"You have to be in Canada to apply for a travel document for you or your child".

Reactions: imadeddin

Paladinrules

Star Member
Apr 26, 2019
Hello guys,

Thanks
Unfortunately no you cannot get RTD in abroad and keep in mind, if you dont have a PR card and you loose your RTD while in abroad, it will be quite impossible to return to Canada. Good Luck

Reactions: imadeddin

imadeddin

Jul 5, 2016
Unfortunately no you cannot get RTD in abroad and keep in mind, if you dont have a PR card and you loose your RTD while in abroad, it will be quite impossible to return to Canada. Good Luck
I think you are wrong! I am quoting the following from the immigration website:

If a traveller is unable to produce a RTD due to the loss or theft of the document while outside Canada, the officer may issue a temporary resident permit in order to allow re-entry into Canada. Prior to issuing a permit, officers should question the applicant regarding the loss or theft of the RTD and be satisfied that the circumstances are genuine.

Reactions: Andftoe

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I think you are wrong! I am quoting the following from the immigration website:

If a traveller is unable to produce a RTD due to the loss or theft of the document while outside Canada, the officer may issue a temporary resident permit in order to allow re-entry into Canada. Prior to issuing a permit, officers should question the applicant regarding the loss or theft of the RTD and be satisfied that the circumstances are genuine.
It appears he was right, there was a bit of confusion in your original post. I want to assume you meant to say you’ll travel with your RTD and you’ll be outside Canada when it expires...and you are asking if you can renew while you are outside..

imadeddin

Jul 5, 2016
It appears he was right, there was a bit of confusion in your original post. I want to assume you meant to say you’ll travel with your RTD and you’ll be outside Canada when it expires...and you are asking if you can renew while you are outside..
Yes, but his reply confirms that the loss or expiration or any kind of that means no entry to Canada while the website says the opposite. There is always a way to get back as long as you are a protected refugee. Thank you guys for the replies though.

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
Yes, but his reply confirms that the loss or expiration or any kind of that means no entry to Canada while the website says the opposite. There is always a way to get back as long as you are a protected refugee. Thank you guys for the replies though.
The website says you can get a TRP if the RTD is lost or stolen, not expired so you should plan your trip accordingly.

This 2-years validity is exhausting...

luckyrefugee

Mar 5, 2019
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
CPC missisuaga
App. Filed.......
10-12-2019
AOR Received.
26-11-2020
Med's Request
19-04-2021
Med's Done....
19-04-2021
LANDED..........
21-04-2021
Hi,
Anyone can guide with RTD and without PR which country can travel with visa and without Visa?

Thanks in advance
Don’t know what are the COVID restriction but from my personal experience and checking with embassies last year prior to covid it was
Germany
Italy
Bulgaria
Hungary
Slovenia
Slovakia

that what I know.