+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee through UNHCR from out side Canada from home country

Aug 24, 2018
Hallo
My name is Ali Riza i am from pakistan city (parachinar) on the border of Afganistan but now i am in Italy. i have very serious porblem in my home country so can i apply asylum in canada?? If answer is yes then what should i do ??please help me

Last edited:

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You should apply in Italy. That’s the first safe country you are in. Not doing so complicates the process. They will assume you are an economic refugee.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
So because my you have already applied and have a refugee claim in Italy, you are no longer a refugee. Your claim will be rejected in Canada and you will be sent back to your home country as you will have abandoned a refugee claim. All this information will be available to IRCC.

Reactions: Sayed Ali Riza

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hallo
My name is Ali Riza i am from pakistan city (parachinar) on the border of Afganistan but now i am in Italy. i have very serious porblem in my home country so can i apply asylum in canada?? If answer is yes then what should i do ??please help me
First you would need to be officially recognized as a refugee by UNHCR in Italy. Next, UNHCR would have to select you for resettlement in Canada. UNHCR will select where you are resettled - it may be Canada or it may be elsewhere.

You cannot apply to Canada directly.

Reactions: Sayed Ali Riza
Aug 24, 2018
One more qeustion my firend asylum case is positive in italy he got 5 years document i mean 5 years viza now he want move to canada is this possible ??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
One more qeustion my firend asylum case is positive in italy he got 5 years document i mean 5 years viza now he want move to canada is this possible ??
It's impossible to say based on the information you have provided. He would need to apply to immigrate through an economic immigration program. Economic immigration programs are based on an individual's work experience, level of education, language abilities, age, funds available to support themselves in Canada and other factors. He will need to research these programs to understand what it takes to qualify and apply. I would recommend he start with the Express Entry program. This is a points-based program and right now he needs to have more than 440 points to be selected. Information here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html

Reactions: Buletruck

zechman

Aug 19, 2018
So because my you have already applied and have a refugee claim in Italy, you are no longer a refugee. Your claim will be rejected in Canada and you will be sent back to your home country as you will have abandoned a refugee claim. All this information will be available to IRCC.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/refugees/claim-protection-inside-canada/eligibility.html?_ga=2.261225037.111964994.1534688358-1318569469.1533516880

Your refugee claim may not be eligible to be referred to the IRB if you:

• have been recognized as a Convention refugee by another country that you can return to.
  • have already been granted protected person status in Canada.
  • arrived via the Canada-United States border.
  • are not admissible to Canada on security grounds, or because of criminal activity or human rights violations.
  • made a previous refugee claim that was not found eligible.
  • made a previous refugee claim that was rejected by the IRB.
  • abandoned or withdrew a previous refugee claim.

I talked to an immigration lawyer and I was told that the meaning of the expression of "abandoned or withdrew a previous refugee claim" is "abandoned or withdrew a previous refugee claim in/for Canada only".

That's why his previous abandoned claim in another country doesn't effect his application for Canada.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/refugees/claim-protection-inside-canada/eligibility.html?_ga=2.261225037.111964994.1534688358-1318569469.1533516880

Your refugee claim may not be eligible to be referred to the IRB if you:

• have been recognized as a Convention refugee by another country that you can return to.
  • have already been granted protected person status in Canada.
  • arrived via the Canada-United States border.
  • are not admissible to Canada on security grounds, or because of criminal activity or human rights violations.
  • made a previous refugee claim that was not found eligible.
  • made a previous refugee claim that was rejected by the IRB.
  • abandoned or withdrew a previous refugee claim.

I talked to an immigration lawyer and I was told that the meaning of the expression of "abandoned or withdrew a previous refugee claim" is "abandoned or withdrew a previous refugee claim in/for Canada only".

That's why his previous abandoned claim in another country doesn't effect his application for Canada.
Possibly correct but the fact that the Italian government is processing your application there means that you are not really in need of protection any longer from your original country. It weakens any claim you make in Canada considerably. You are "asylum shopping". Also, if you are not already a Canadian TRV holder, you can pretty much forget about applying for one to physically get to Canada...

Reactions: Buletruck