+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee (Protected Person), PR Application Hasn't received by CIC for 1 year

yas4u

Jan 24, 2013
Hello,

I got my protected person status on Nov. 2011 and I applied for my PR on Jan, 2012. I haven't heard anything from the immigration and last time I called the agent told me there is no mention to my PR application and they haven't received it yet! It's Jan, 2013 and they say this :(

Anyway, I check CIC regularly, the current update says: Initial Assessment: 12 months (working on applications received up to January 9, 2012).

I don't think they have received my application before Jan. 9 but I am wondering why the agent told me that? Do they access the documents and the regular paper files or they check my online account which doesn't have this update? Should I be concerned regarding this and re-apply or what I should do? I am really confused, more than 1 year and still nothing mentioning to :( my application though other updates like renewing work permit months ago are there.

Please advise and help what I can do in this situation!

Appreciate your help and feedback

Yas

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
On what date did you mail your PR application and was this registered? If CIC have not yet started processing your application because it was not received by January 9, 2012 then there will be nothing on ecas nor for the call centre to see. Probably best to wait till they have processing applications received up to say February 7, 2012 (to cover mail sent out the last week of Jan 2012).

yas4u

Jan 24, 2013
Thanks for your reply.

The problem is that they updated the site last week. Before that it was saying the processing time is 10 Months and they are processing applications before Dec. 21, 2011. They updated this last week to the following:

Processing Time: 12 Months (This is for the first stage, while it was 10 months)
Processing Applications received before Jan 09, 2012

So, my concern is that they don't update it and this is all waste of time! I really don't know what to do! Maybe just sit and wait.

Some people says, there were such missing applications before and the immigration processed the applications right away (Though we all now right away means couple months for the immigration).

It sucks if I be in Canada for 3 years and still don't have PR! Hope it works out for me.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yas4u said:
Thanks for your reply.

The problem is that they updated the site last week. Before that it was saying the processing time is 10 Months and they are processing applications before Dec. 21, 2011. They updated this last week to the following:

Processing Time: 12 Months (This is for the first stage, while it was 10 months)
Processing Applications received before Jan 09, 2012

So, my concern is that they don't update it and this is all waste of time! I really don't know what to do! Maybe just sit and wait.

Some people says, there were such missing applications before and the immigration processed the applications right away (Though we all now right away means couple months for the immigration).

It sucks if I be in Canada for 3 years and still don't have PR! Hope it works out for me.
So let me get this right:

1. you have been recognized as a protected person by the Government of Canada because of a fear that your life is in danger back in your home country,

2. You now have near identical rights to education, employment, healthcare, welfare etc as to citizens,

3. Your processing timelines have shifted by 2 months in a CIC 'crackdown on fraud' environment where citizenship applications can take 48 months plus

and yet all this sucks....interesting.

yas4u

Jan 24, 2013
Okay I guess when someone is not in the others situation s/he doesn't feel / understand what they go through. Here is my experience and you tell me if it is cool:

1. I waited about 16 months since arrived in Canada to get the hearing and in total 18 months to get my protected person status.

2. I have applied on Jan, 2012 for my permanent residency and till now I haven't received the medical exams (Phase 1) and after following with CIC being advised they don't have any sign of receiving my application and I have to re-apply. (Guess if you go through the same process you will say more than just "it sucks")

3. Since arriving in Canada (30 months ago, 2.5 years) the CIC haven't completed the first step of my PR Applciation

4. This means the application may be completed in 1 to 2 years from now

5. so 2.5 + (1 to 2) = 3.5 To 4.5 years to get the PR

6. Now, honestly do you think this is so cool? I just hope they won't lose my 2nd application and everything goes smoothly.

Thanks

PS. Regarding your second point, I work as hard as others if not more, I am educated with Master degree in Engineering though my experience is not recognized here. I pay TAX more than what 40% of people pays in Canada --> Means the money that this Refugee earns a year goes to support other Canadians.

About the Education, I am considered as an INTERNATIONAL STUDENT in most universities in Canada so I am not identical as a Canadian / PR.

Regarding the health, I have insurance coverage and I pay for it monthly (FROM MY OWN INCOME)

Hope now you reconsider your point of view.

puma

Star Member
Jul 30, 2012
It is unfortunate that genuine persons like you have to suffer because of those who abuse the system.Wish you good luck.

yas4u

Jan 24, 2013
Hi Puma, Thanks for your kind words. I wish the same to you and everyone else who is seeking a fair / happy life.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yas4u said:
Okay I guess when someone is not in the others situation s/he doesn't feel / understand what they go through. Here is my experience and you tell me if it is cool:

1. I waited about 16 months since arrived in Canada to get the hearing and in total 18 months to get my protected person status.

2. I have applied on Jan, 2012 for my permanent residency and till now I haven't received the medical exams (Phase 1) and after following with CIC being advised they don't have any sign of receiving my application and I have to re-apply. (Guess if you go through the same process you will say more than just "it sucks")

3. Since arriving in Canada (30 months ago, 2.5 years) the CIC haven't completed the first step of my PR Applciation

4. This means the application may be completed in 1 to 2 years from now

5. so 2.5 + (1 to 2) = 3.5 To 4.5 years to get the PR

6. Now, honestly do you think this is so cool? I just hope they won't lose my 2nd application and everything goes smoothly.

Thanks

PS. Regarding your second point, I work as hard as others if not more, I am educated with Master degree in Engineering though my experience is not recognized here. I pay TAX more than what 40% of people pays in Canada --> Means the money that this Refugee earns a year goes to support other Canadians.

About the Education, I am considered as an INTERNATIONAL STUDENT in most universities in Canada so I am not identical as a Canadian / PR.

Regarding the health, I have insurance coverage and I pay for it monthly (FROM MY OWN INCOME)

Hope now you reconsider your point of view.
As you say immigration situations have to be taken in context. Do you realize there are over 300K applicants some that have waited over 10 years for the PR under the FSW that have had their applications closed due to a unilateral rule by the government. There is a class action on this in process. These people never got a chance to even get into Canada and applied as per the rules to include payment.

Refugee applicants present challenges to the immigration system due to systematic abuse of the process as a short cut to PR and the fact that it can and does lead to jumping the line. The delays to the hearing are due to the number of people awaiting review. Its very high due to multiple false claims especially from claimants who are nationals of countries that have rights simialr to Canada. For example there are more claimants from EU countries than any other region in the world...does that make sense to you? Most of these claims are abondoned at appeal as the claimants know they will be correctly refused. They just want to enter Canada and abuse the welfare system. Parliament has enacted changes to the refugee system to address this including the denial of work permits to designated nationals. Canada also has a lower threshold for accepting claims..do you know that many countries in the EU e.g Germany fail to recognize non-state persecution...Canada is in effect a soft touch for fake applicants.

To have a reasoned debate on this the forum would need to know how and why you come to Canada in the first place? Were you visiting? Do you realize how lucky you are to have been processed for convention status from whatever status you entered Canada in such a short time. There are people who wait for 5+years.

Also what is your country of citizenship? Do they have a refugee class? How fast do they process applications for PR and Citizenship? Do they offer an environemt where you can freely speak your mind, worship as you wish, equal gender and minority rights?

Don't you think its a good thing that Canada has offered you the opportunity to have gainful employment to the extent that you are paying 40% tax as I understand or you pay more tax than 40% of tax payers....why is this? By the way the tax pays for services such as provincial health care, schools, the police which we all enjoy in Canada i.e if you call the cops they don't say we can't respond as you are a refugee. I don't quite get the health care part that you are paying..is this for coverage beyond what the Province provides? If it is then that's a personal decision. That your engineering is not recognized is a challenge faced by all immigrants but that's nothing to do with CIC its an employer issue.

Sorry you need to wait in turn for your processing. You crossed the most significant hurdle which is you get to stay ...if you are not happy then either go to the courts or to be blunt you can always leave Canada for a country where your applications can be processed at the speed you think is appropriate. By the way its good practice to mail documents to CIC registered.

yas4u

Jan 24, 2013
WOW! I guess you are a CIC employee!!

You didn't understand the issue from the beginning. The issue is NOT the waiting or processing time, the issue is NOT related to TIME! The issue is that CIC LOST MY APPLICATION! The issue is that I have sent it by registered mail and I have approve that it has been received by them on Jan 6, 2012 but they still say there is nothing mentioning that I applied for PR! They are blaming me though I have the registered mail receipt, I have the CIC receipt which I paid on Dec 2011 and I have witnesses that I sent it.

If they have said "we are sorry that we lost your application, please apply again and we will process it as soon as we get it" I wouldn't even bother coming to here and ask for advice (NOT ATTACK).

I am from the country of OIL & BLOOD. And to mention that 99% of claimants from my country get acceptance so I am not that lucky that you imagine.

You said: Sorry you need to wait in turn for your processing. You crossed the most significant hurdle which is you get to stay ...if you are not happy then either go to the courts or to be blunt you can always leave Canada for a country where your applications can be processed at the speed you think is appropriate. By the way its good practice to mail documents to CIC registered.

It's always a good practice that you read the problem first then give your advice. As I said and I am telling this for the 3rd or 4th time, the problem is NOT with the processing time, the problem is with the LOST application, I don't mind waiting but being treated like this (Your application is not here, not our problem (CIC)) is really annoying. And, who you think you are that telling me to leave if I am not happy?! I am happy to be in Canada, there are so many supportive and kind people that I can easily IGNORE harm words such as some of yours. Oh! By the way, this is the second time I sent the application by Registered Mail though it didn't help in the first time.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yas4u said:
WOW! I guess you are a CIC employee!!

You didn't understand the issue from the beginning. The issue is NOT the waiting or processing time, the issue is NOT related to TIME! The issue is that CIC LOST MY APPLICATION! The issue is that I have sent it by registered mail and I have approve that it has been received by them on Jan 6, 2012 but they still say there is nothing mentioning that I applied for PR! They are blaming me though I have the registered mail receipt, I have the CIC receipt which I paid on Dec 2011 and I have witnesses that I sent it.

If they have said "we are sorry that we lost your application, please apply again and we will process it as soon as we get it" I wouldn't even bother coming to here and ask for advice (NOT ATTACK).

I am from the country of OIL & BLOOD. And to mention that 99% of claimants from my country get acceptance so I am not that lucky that you imagine.

You said: Sorry you need to wait in turn for your processing. You crossed the most significant hurdle which is you get to stay ...if you are not happy then either go to the courts or to be blunt you can always leave Canada for a country where your applications can be processed at the speed you think is appropriate. By the way its good practice to mail documents to CIC registered.

It's always a good practice that you read the problem first then give your advice. As I said and I am telling this for the 3rd or 4th time, the problem is NOT with the processing time, the problem is with the LOST application, I don't mind waiting but being treated like this (Your application is not here, not our problem (CIC)) is really annoying. And, who you think you are that telling me to leave if I am not happy?! I am happy to be in Canada, there are so many supportive and kind people that I can easily IGNORE harm words such as some of yours. Oh! By the way, this is the second time I sent the application by Registered Mail though it didn't help in the first time.
The 'you are a CIC employee' comment to those not happy with a response is old hat...why not try something different. I guess we are not going anywhere with this 'exchange'. Why don't you complain to CIC to replace the 'lost' time to the second application...they may rectify this.

yas4u

Jan 24, 2013
Sounds I am not the first one who receives such respect and kindness from people in here :)

Anyway, Now you are saying something useful and obviously after I repeated the issue 4 times you got it. Now, how can I complain to CIC? Whom should I contact? Do you have a phone number except the 1-800 for the regular agents? I tried and asked them to transfer me and let me talk with a manager / supervisor but the agents refused.

Zackomarion

Jul 15, 2017
Can protected person applications in process refuse and what the reason when your application is in process and keep so long