+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee married to Canadian citizen

Preet_1989

Star Member
Apr 5, 2015
I’m on refugee status and got married to Canadian citizen last year in August 2020. I applied my spousal application in March , 2021 and got my temporary application number last week. My refugee work permit expired in April, 2021. Now I’m going to apply my spousal work permit this week. I need to know what are my chances of getting PR and when should I withdraw my refugee claim because I need my passport for the Pcc. Is there any chance of deportation?? Should I withdraw my refugee claim before getting the spousal work permit?? If anyone have any information please reply
Thanks

Dec 4, 2020
I’m on refugee status and got married to Canadian citizen last year in August 2020. I applied my spousal application in March , 2021 and got my temporary application number last week. My refugee work permit expired in April, 2021. Now I’m going to apply my spousal work permit this week. I need to know what are my chances of getting PR and when should I withdraw my refugee claim because I need my passport for the Pcc. Is there any chance of deportation?? Should I withdraw my refugee claim before getting the spousal work permit?? If anyone have any information please reply
Thanks
You should not withdraw your refugee claim until you have atleast Approval in Principal for your spousal sponsorship because the moment you withdraw your claim your removal order is enforced. This doesn't necessarily means you will be deported immediately but the process will begin.
Also, I am not sure if you qualify for spousal work permit but others can comment.

You might wanna read this thread:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/refugee-claimant-spousal-sponsorship-please-help.78710/

Preet_1989

Star Member
Apr 5, 2015
You should not withdraw your refugee claim until you have atleast Approval in Principal for your spousal sponsorship because the moment you withdraw your claim your removal order is enforced. This doesn't necessarily means you will be deported immediately but the process will begin.
Also, I am not sure if you qualify for spousal work permit but others can comment.

You might wanna read this thread:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/refugee-claimant-spousal-sponsorship-please-help.78710/
Can I renew my refugee work permit?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can only renew your refugee work permit if you keep your asylum claim. When did you arrive in Canada, claim asylum and get married? There is always a lot more suspicion when someone gets married if they have also filed for asylum. If there wasn’t a long relationship before marriage suspicion increases. If you had your asylum claim approved that would also give you a lot more security because if your relationship fails during sponsorship you know your status in Canada is safe. If your passport is required you can indicate that your passport was confiscated by CBSA when you filed for asylum. You can submit photocopies if you have any for additional information. Because of your status I think that you can only get your WP approved as part of your sponsorship application when you get AIP. Others can you verify.

Faitico

Star Member
Dec 5, 2020
You can only renew your refugee work permit if you keep your asylum claim. When did you arrive in Canada, claim asylum and get married? There is always a lot more suspicion when someone gets married if they have also filed for asylum. If there wasn’t a long relationship before marriage suspicion increases. If you had your asylum claim approved that would also give you a lot more security because if your relationship fails during sponsorship you know your status in Canada is safe. If your passport is required you can indicate that your passport was confiscated by CBSA when you filed for asylum. You can submit photocopies if you have any for additional information. Because of your status I think that you can only get your WP approved as part of your sponsorship application when you get AIP. Others can you verify.
True... you must keep your asylum claim for you to be able to renew your WP permit since your spousal sponsorship application hasn’t been approved yet. Although from my own experience, I was able to renew my WP online under my spousal sponsorship application after my refugee claim has been dismissed. Both asylum claim process and spousal sponsorship application can go on consecutively until one of them is considered or approved, please do NOT drop your refugee status now if not you ll be out of status.

Preet_1989

Star Member
Apr 5, 2015
True... you must keep your asylum claim for you to be able to renew your WP permit since your spousal sponsorship application hasn’t been approved yet. Although from my own experience, I was able to renew my WP online under my spousal sponsorship application after my refugee claim has been dismissed. Both asylum claim process and spousal sponsorship application can go on consecutively until one of them is considered or approved, please do NOT drop your refugee status now if not you ll be out of status.
Can I renew my refugee work permit now because it was expired on April 24th, 2021.

Faitico

Star Member
Dec 5, 2020
Can you send me the link please??
The one I did online was through my gckey account with my spousal sponsorship application was in March this year when my refugee claim was already dismissed. Last year when my refugee claim was still in process I did paper application. Like I said before, you need to contact those non profit organizations or agencies that assist with these kind of application to advice and assist you to apply. If you live in Toronto call COSTI.