+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee interviews

JayCool90

Apr 28, 2023
I am applying inland via portal, What is the best response to the question: ' Why did you not claim refugee status at the port of entry ?' I arrived in Canada last month.
23 December 2022: Arrived in Canada

27 February 2023: Signed and Submitted the Basis of Claim Form to IRCC. (Inland Claim)

07 March 2023: Received instructions for Immigration Medical Examination

11 March 2023: Results of my Immigration Medical Examination have been submitted to IRCC

17 March 2023: 1st Interview, Biometrics, and issued Notice of Seizure of Documents

03 April 2023: 2nd Interview, Issued Refugee Protection Claimant Document, Removal/Departure Order (to be implemented if the claim is denied)
and Confirmation of Referral

04 April 2023: Issuance of Open Work Permit

Will wait for Notice to Appear for a Hearing (several months of waiting)
I arrived in Canada in April 2023....I am in the process of submitting my claim via portal. What is the best answer to the question: Why did you not claim refugee at the point of entry ? For clarity, I arrived by air with a visitor's visa. TIA

JayCool90

Apr 28, 2023
You need to have a very detailed BOC with attached evidence like news articles, support statements, case information, etc. If you can also get legal aid it is much better for technical matters of drafting a BOC.
Question please: Must the news articles be about you...or just similar persons in your situation ? Please clarify. I am new to this.

denvela

Mar 10, 2023
I am applying inland via portal, What is the best response to the question: ' Why did you not claim refugee status at the port of entry ?' I arrived in Canada last month.

I arrived in Canada in April 2023....I am in the process of submitting my claim via portal. What is the best answer to the question: Why did you not claim refugee at the point of entry ? For clarity, I arrived by air with a visitor's visa. TIA
just tell you need to think it carefully and need to consult families, friends and even lawyers.

Reactions: JayCool90

jinglebell0123

Jun 4, 2021
Burnaby, Canada
Category........
Other

tell them you didn't know how to claim refugee, and needed legal assistance to avoid making mistakes. That's it

Reactions: JayCool90

OBNelson

Mar 23, 2021
Submitted end of October
Medical in Jan
First interview end of Jan
Work permit Feb16
Second interview end of Feb
Got less complex today

Toronto
Submitted end of October
Medical in Jan
First interview end of Jan
Work permit Feb16
Second interview end of Feb
Got less complex today

Toronto
have you gone for your hearing..if yes how did it go. I am asking because I have also been in Canada for almost two years before submitting my refugee application. I am currently waiting for my second interview and my work permit.

yakuza93

May 26, 2023
I applied in September 2022 and still waiting for my eligibility interview.
Hi guys,

I finally got my first interview last Thursday, they seized my documents and provided me with certified copies. Second interview schedule for this Friday.
How long it will take to receive work permit after second interview please? Thank you

KaZRa

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
Looking for some info on applying for refugee status (asking for someone else).

Where were you asked to go for an interview?
Was it a great distance?
If denied, is there an appeal process?

KaZRa

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
I have someone in a similar situation, but they came here to study, they ended up getting married, status expired and are thinking of applying for refugee status. How would they explain why they're applying now and not before?

tell them you didn't know how to claim refugee, and needed legal assistance to avoid making mistakes. That's it

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have someone in a similar situation, but they came here to study, they ended up getting married, status expired and are thinking of applying for refugee status. How would they explain why they're applying now and not before?
There's no single answer to that question. This depends on each individual's case.

If this person is only applying for refugee status now, they would want to show what has changed in their home country recently that is driving this. Keep in mind that it should be something that threatens them personally and which they can prove with evidence.