+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee applying for urgent citizenship

qwertyasdf

Star Member
Oct 19, 2021
Hi there, hope everyone is well. Has anyone tried applying for citizenship urgently as a refugee because they don’t have their home passport and need to travel urgently. Did they accept it?

derin1010

Oct 18, 2017
Toronto
Hi there, hope everyone is well. Has anyone tried applying for citizenship urgently as a refugee because they don’t have their home passport and need to travel urgently. Did they accept it?
There is nothing as applying for urgent canadian citizenship urgently. You have to fulfill the residency obligations and meet all other citizenship requirements.

Bear in mind that as a conventional refugee, you can not travel back to your country or renew your country passport.

Your other option is to apply for a Refugee Travel Document RTD

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I cant travel to my home country with that (I need to go to my home country)
Do you know that if you are under danger in your home country (why you were accepted as a refugee), having a Canadian passport will not protect you from those danger?

You can do a lot of things virtually. Maybe look for those option to do things online instead.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There is nothing as applying for urgent canadian citizenship urgently. You have to fulfill the residency obligations and meet all other citizenship requirements.

Bear in mind that as a conventional refugee, you can not travel back to your country or renew your country passport.

Your other option is to apply for a Refugee Travel Document RTD
There is in fact a process for requesting Canadian citizenship urgently. You still have to meet the residency obligation (which the OP does). But there's absolutely a way to request ugent processing. Up to IRCC if they accept your request for urgent processing. But the process exists.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply/urgently.html

qwertyasdf

Star Member
Oct 19, 2021
Ding ding ding !!

Kids this is why sometimes when people
Return home they get pulled by the CBSA to have a chat with immigration .
Something tells me the optics on this possibly won’t look good
Just a feeling
I havent visited my home country for 11 years just for everyone’s information!! But unfortunately serious illness in my family is causing me to need to go visit back home.

zak86

Nov 13, 2019
I havent visited my home country for 11 years just for everyone’s information!! But unfortunately serious illness in my family is causing me to need to go visit back home.
I can understand your situation but the thing is that the country which wasn't able to protect you wasn't able to protect your rights so how you can even think to return there I can understand the emergency situation of a family member but what about that if you went there and get killed? this is not 90's you can do many things using video conference don't risk your life and status as it is all precious..

Reactions: YVR123

AsylumSeekers

Mar 3, 2023
You will have to wait until you become a citizen. No other way round
There's no such thing as "urgent citizenship" however you can apply for an emergency passport, which enables you to single travel, however traveling back to your home country is absolutely NOT advisable, where most probably you were at risk and applied for protection in Canada. You may even end up losing your refugee claim and thus the PR status.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's no such thing as "urgent citizenship" however you can apply for an emergency passport, which enables you to single travel, however traveling back to your home country is absolutely NOT advisable, where most probably you were at risk and applied for protection in Canada. You may even end up losing your refugee claim and thus the PR status.
There is such a thing as "urgent citizenship". You can request urgent processing once you qualify for citizenship: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply/urgently.html