+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reference Letter for Previous TA Experience and ROE??

olying

Sep 15, 2010
Hello everyone,

I am really confused about the item 6 “work experience” of the document checklist. Any helpful input from you will be very much appreciated.

1. The checklist states that “original and up-to-date letters of reference from your past and current employers for the past 3 years” are required.

When I was still a study permit holder, I worked as a teaching assistant on a part-time basis between 2008 and early 2010. I don’t think it was a stipend, as I had contracts and received T4 slips. The question is: do I need to ask my university to provide this reference letter for me, even though the teaching assistantship experience will not be counted under CEC?

2. The checklist also requires me to submit a Record of Employment.

My current job is the first and only job I’ve even had under my three-year PGWP. When I submit my application, I will still hold this job. Do I need to submit the ROE for my current job? Besides, should I contact my university for the ROE for my previous teaching assistantship experience?

Thanks so much for your help in advance!!

Ying :)

miss_b

Star Member
Sep 13, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2-MAY-2013
AOR Received.
22-MAY-2013
File Transfer...
23-MAY-2013
Med's Done....
16-MAR-2013 (Updated on ECAS on Dec 11/13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
4-JUN-2013 Ecas status- In Process Nov 9th -DM 19-JAN-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-JAN-2014
LANDED..........
31-JAN-2014 :D
Hi there,

1- I'm in the same situation as you are. I dont know whether to include co-op work reference letters or no. So unfortunately I cant asnwer this question right now. We'll just wait for others to give some advice.
2- As for ROE, you only get ROE from your past employers. Its a document which states the reason for the termination of employment. So you wont get an ROE from your current workplace.

defenestration

Star Member
Jul 8, 2011
Germany
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2010
Doc's Request.
11-06-2011
AOR Received.
29-03-2011
Med's Request
31-05-2011
Med's Done....
04-07-2011
Passport Req..
23-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-09-2011
LANDED..........
07-09-2011
miss_b said:
1- I'm in the same situation as you are. I dont know whether to include co-op work reference letters or no. So unfortunately I cant asnwer this question right now. We'll just wait for others to give some advice.
Honestly, I wouldn't believe the checklist. It changes often, even when the regulations haven't changed. It implies you're supposed to put the documents in the order of the checklist, even though Buffalo has a page somewhere telling you to put them in a different order, which suggests the people who write the checklist have no clue how applications are processed.

Taken literally, the checklist demands reference letters for jobs outside of Canada (either before or after the relevant employment in Canada), which are irrelevant to CEC eligibility. So according to the checklist, I should have included a letter of reference to my current job in Germany, since it's within the previous 3 years. I didn't. No problems.

The only situation I can see where they would care is when they have doubts about whether your "main" work experience (that you claim makes you eligible for CEC) is highly-skilled enough. Then it might reassure them if you had previous work experience (even if it doesn't count toward CEC) in the same field.

2- As for ROE, you only get ROE from your past employers. Its a document which states the reason for the termination of employment. So you wont get an ROE from your current workplace.
I'm dubious about the RoE; unless something has been revised yet again, the only place the RoE is mentioned is the right-hand column of the checklist, which is where spurious requirements go to die. (The first version of the CEC checklist had a lot of leftovers from FSW; they disappeared from the left-hand column, and eventually from the right-hand column as well. This might be why the checkboxes in the right column don't line up with the left column.)

I had (one) past employer when I applied, didn't submit a RoE (because I had no clue what it was), and was accepted.

Anyway, I've heard it's not hard to get your RoE from Service Canada.

Bottom line: if it's easy to get a probably irrelevant document, you might as well; if it's hard, I wouldn't bother.

olying

Sep 15, 2010
I called CIC. The agent told me that I should submit a reference letter from my university but ROE isn't required.

Hope this could help!