+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Recent landing

Omar34

Jul 31, 2018
I and my wife did our landing a few months ago (Sep 2018) and we are now back to our country of residence. We received our PR cards. We intend to do our permanent move to Canada in Sep 2020; i.e. 2 years after the 1st landing. I have 3 questions:
1- Is this Ok -from a minimum residency requirement standpoint-? as we will have 3 years remaining to adhere to it.
2- Is it advisable to make frequent visits from now till date of settlement? say once every 6 months or so? to show that we are in touch with Canada
3- If we are blessed with a baby during this period, is it easy to apply for PR card for our baby? what is the process like? or it it advisable to go there and deliver the baby in Canada? (only issue here is that we do not yet have our health insurance cards yet).
Thanks a lot for your valuable feedback
Best regards

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
1. Yes. You have to spend 2 out of 5 years from your landing date. Moving in 2020 is a good plan to allow for vacation/business travel and family emergencies.
2. Not necessary
3. You don't qualify for health cards so you couldn't apply for them anyways. Some [rovinces require up to 3 months before you get health coverage. You can't give birth in one province with coverage upon landing then move. One parent must be in Canada to sponsor their child for PR and must be compliant with RO. You can try and apply for a TRV or TRP for the child but they aren't always given. The child would not have health insurance as visitor. Would take 6-10 months to process PR.

Reactions: Omar34

Omar34

Jul 31, 2018
Thank you very much.
For point 3: does that mean if we have a child outside Canada (before our move), we have to leave him(her) behind and go to Canada and apply for PR from there? either both or one of us. Is my understanding correct?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Should also mention that you usually have to spend 6 months in Canada to legally use the healthcare system. There are residency requirement to use healthcare in each province that you should look up. You can'r just come in for a month or two to have a baby and leave.