+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Received my CIT-520 today

fishbone

Star Member
Mar 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MW2015 said:
Can I ask your thoughts of this scenario. I have lived in Canada since 2009. But I work for a US Company and my work address is in the states. But I am considered a permanent resident of Canada. My US company HR system could not handle a foreign address, so I just put down a place we frequent visit in Florida during the winter. when I pull my employment records they will all have the address of Florida. I do file and pay Canadian Taxes, as well as US taxes. But I also don't receive a T4, only a W2 from the states. How would you address this to CIC in a letter explaining the situation. I am trying to get my employer to write a letter as well for me. We moved to Canada to take care of my wife's sick mother. So work allowed me to stay up here but I frequent traveled back and forth between the US and Canada. Now I don't travel as much and mainly stay in Canada but work address remains the same.

Just trying to feel this out.
Personally, I have taken the approach of being as clear as possible for anything that I reasonably believe IRCC may question.

Having a US work address is likely something a CO may question / dig deeper into. This is your chance to provide the narrative so I would write what you mentioned above (That your work address in your documents is shown as a US address because your employer's HR system cannot handle a Canadian address)

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
MW2015 said:
Can I ask your thoughts of this scenario. I have lived in Canada since 2009. But I work for a US Company and my work address is in the states. But I am considered a permanent resident of Canada. My US company HR system could not handle a foreign address, so I just put down a place we frequent visit in Florida during the winter. when I pull my employment records they will all have the address of Florida. I do file and pay Canadian Taxes, as well as US taxes. But I also don't receive a T4, only a W2 from the states. How would you address this to CIC in a letter explaining the situation. I am trying to get my employer to write a letter as well for me. We moved to Canada to take care of my wife's sick mother. So work allowed me to stay up here but I frequent traveled back and forth between the US and Canada. Now I don't travel as much and mainly stay in Canada but work address remains the same.

Just trying to feel this out.
Send a letter explaining it. Have it notarized. Better yet, also send a notarized letter from your employer explaining the situation on company letterhead. It would be one thing if your US work address was in a border state, but Florida ain't within commuting distance from Canada, so you are going to bet IRCC/CIC are going to want an explanation.

Jaroddz

Mar 29, 2012
Toronto
Show them your strong ties to canada, mortgage, kids school certificates, presence in the Canada, letter from the doctor about your mother in law sickness ...., if you're a U.S. citizen or resident you can request your record of movement entry / exit from CBP under the FOIA http://www.foia.gov/how-to.html , my friend has exactly the same situation ( US citizen, living in canada, taking care of a sick family member) and he's writing his citizenship test tomorrow ... I will let you know

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Jaroddz said:
Show them your strong ties to canada, mortgage, kids school certificates, presence in the Canada, letter from the doctor about your mother in law sickness ...., if you're a U.S. citizen or resident you can request your record of movement entry / exit from CBP under the FOIA http://www.foia.gov/how-to.html , my friend has exactly the same situation ( US citizen, living in canada, taking care of a sick family member) and he's writing his citizenship test tomorrow ... I will let you know
Does he consider himself a "Canadian of Convenience"? Probably not, but others on here probably would.

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Question regarding timeline for sending back CIT 0520 and RQ. Letter on CIT 0520 says I need to send all documents including RQ within 30 days. RQ says to return within 45 days. So since I received both together I assume I need to return within 30 days?

FutureCanadian

Star Member
Jul 26, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MW2015 said:
Question regarding timeline for sending back CIT 0520 and RQ. Letter on CIT 0520 says I need to send all documents including RQ within 30 days. RQ says to return within 45 days. So since I received both together I assume I need to return within 30 days?
Send as early as possible....!!

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
FutureCanadian said:
Send as early as possible....!!
Even if I have not received all the documentation, still waiting for OHIP health records and USA Entry Exits? Plus my luck out of the country next week on the due date so have to mail everything in even earlier than the 30 days.

FutureCanadian

Star Member
Jul 26, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MW2015 said:
Even if I have not received all the documentation, still waiting for OHIP health records and USA Entry Exits? Plus my luck out of the country next week on the due date so have to mail everything in even earlier than the 30 days.
OHIP takes about two weeks. Did they specifically ask for us entry exit records ?

e.chad

Jan 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MW2015 said:
Was in same situation, Don't worry just submit the US travel record via email as well as courier once you receive it, they give 45 days(business) to submit but
US takes longer to release record. Call center suggested me to send the letter explaining the delay along with US record file date screen shot before 45 days over, i did that and it
was fine with Cic.

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
e.chad said:
Was in same situation, Don't worry just submit the US travel record via email as well as courier once you receive it, they give 45 days(business) to submit but
US takes longer to release record. Call center suggested me to send the letter explaining the delay along with US record file date screen shot before 45 days over, i did that and it
was fine with Cic.
Where do you get the file date screen shot, have not see anything like that, online gave me a date of May 10 but already past that date and still not data form the US entry exits. I had to mail my application in on Friday since out of town next week when do. What is he email you sent to, never received email address to send data to.

e.chad

Jan 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
On FOAI page, when you login it shows pending request with the "submit" date on that, also they email when you file for record, just take the screen shot of that email if you
don't find it on FOAI page, i am not sure if i can share Cic email address here, but if you call, call center and ask for email for document submission, they provide you with one.
I hope this help

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes thinks that is what I put in my letter with the RQ and CIT 0520