+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Received CEC Invitation without Completing One year. Accept or Decline?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
why do you think the awarded me with the points before july 31st? their system should know how to calculate 12 month right?
The system only asks MM/YYYY instead of MM/DD/YYYY, so it is even possible to get the ITA 2 months early.

Yes, the "system" should know and calculate it correctly, but it does not. This has been discussed MANY times on this forum.

A cynical person might think that maybe IRCC enjoys keeping the application fees of applicants who have been duped into applying too early.

Reactions: scylla

jaggeo

Star Member
May 11, 2017
The system only asks MM/YYYY instead of MM/DD/YYYY, so it is even possible to get the ITA 2 months early.

Yes, the "system" should know and calculate it correctly, but it does not. This has been discussed MANY times on this forum.

A cynical person might think that maybe IRCC enjoys keeping the application fees of applicants who have been duped into applying too early.
i have confirmed with CIC themselves and they said EE offers you points and sends you an ITA only if you are eligible .i.e EE counts number of hours per year if you your hours of work qualifies their work experience requirement you get points in advance hence your points get awarded to you a month in advance or whatever . Now that being said they also advised me that i can submit my ITA Application until after july 31st as i have 90 days to submit.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
i have confirmed with CIC themselves and they said EE offers you points and sends you an ITA only if you are eligible .i.e EE counts number of hours per year if you your hours of work qualifies their work experience requirement you get points in advance hence your points get awarded to you a month in advance or whatever . Now that being said they also advised me that i can submit my ITA Application until after july 31st as i have 90 days to submit.
I believe you have 60 days to submit not 90.

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
You and Mandeep have been told completely opposite things by the call center agents...
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/received-cec-invitation-without-completing-one-year-accept-or-decline.570935/#post-7078273

In my own personal opinion, you should submit your PR application the hour you clock the 1 year of CEC.

Reactions: OriginalCraker

jaggeo

Star Member
May 11, 2017
You and Mandeep have been told completely opposite things by the call center agents...
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/received-cec-invitation-without-completing-one-year-accept-or-decline.570935/#post-7078273

In my own personal opinion, you should submit your PR application the hour you clock the 1 year of CEC.
thats what i am confused, i think they dint fully understand his case so, they might have advised him this way. anyway i doing just that, waiting till 31st of july and then submitting it on august first week

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
But this is contradictory to what they state on their website, where full-time employment is considered to be 30hrs or up, and you need 52 weeks of full-time employment to be eligible. If you work less than 30hrs/week, you need more weeks of employment to compensate (e.g. 104 weeks at 15hrs/week). If you work more than 30hrs/week however, those extra hours can't be used to compensate.

Link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/terms-definitions-related-permanent-residence.html
  • Work experience must be acquired over a period of at least one year; work in excess of 30 hours/37.5 hours per week over a shorter period cannot compensate for any shorter overall period of experience.
So it just sounds plain wrong what the CIC agent told you. Plenty of people on the forum can attest that one year of work experience means 52 weeks, not 46 weeks that happened to be in back-to-back months.

Last edited:

jaggeo

Star Member
May 11, 2017
But this is contradictory to what they state on their website, where full-time employment is considered to be 30hrs or up, and you need 52 weeks of full-time employment to be eligible. If you work less than 30hrs/week, you need more weeks of employment to compensate (e.g. 104 weeks at 15hrs/week). If you work more than 30hrs/week however, those extra hours can't be used to compensate.

Link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/terms-definitions-related-permanent-residence.html
  • Work experience must be acquired over a period of at least one year; work in excess of 30 hours/37.5 hours per week over a shorter period cannot compensate for any shorter overall period of experience.
So it just sounds plain wrong what the CIC agent told you. Plenty of people on the forum can attest that one year of work experience means 52 weeks, not 46 weeks that happened to be in back-to-back months.
mine is 40 hrs/week. so by their calculation i am eligible to gain those points also i am still working and i will definitely complete my 1 year by 31st of July. So by their calculation i was eligible for advance point gain

jaggeo

Star Member
May 11, 2017
and after reading this page i am more than satisfied
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/assessing-electronic-application-on-section-a11-2.html

Section 11.2 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) includes a new authority that supports the Express Entry system.

Under section A11.2, an officer may not issue a visa to an applicant who did not or does not meet the Express Entry minimum entry criteria (MEC) or did not or does not possess the qualifications for which they received their CRS score at the time when

• the invitation to apply (ITA) was issued; or
  • the e-APR was received by IRCC.
When reviewing an application, processing offices must determine if

• the applicant possesses the qualifications that they declared in their e-APR, as corroborated by the applicant’s supporting documentation; and
  • when the applicant submits their e-APR, the information provided in their Express Entry profile has not materially changed to the degree that the applicant would not have been issued an ITA in that round of invitations.
Accordingly, officers should refuse an application under section A11.2 if it is determined that

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i hope not, plus they have asked me to apply after31st of July and my ITA expires on sept 13th. So, i am going forward with this. i will keep you guys posted.
There's really nothing to keep us posted on as your situation is quite common. We've seen those who don't meet the MEC at the time of the ITA end up rejected and those who do get through, it is what is is.

Reactions: OriginalCraker

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
Accordingly, officers should refuse an application under section A11.2 if it is determined that
  • at the time of the ITA or e-APR, the applicant did not or does not meet the MEC, which includes the requirements of the program to which they were invited to apply;
If anything, you should not be satisfied at all after reading that. It literally states that officers should refuse applications where the applicant didn`t meet the MEC when the ITA was issued.

You have 46 weeks of work experience - not 52. If they do accept your application it will be because the officer is making an error.

jaggeo

Star Member
May 11, 2017
If anything, you should not be satisfied at all after reading that. It literally states that officers should refuse applications where the applicant didn`t meet the MEC when the ITA was issued.

You have 46 weeks of work experience - not 52. If they do accept your application it will be because the officer is making an error.

• at the time of the ITA or e-APR, the applicant did not or does not meet the MEC
basically it means , you have to match all your claims exactly at the time of ITA or after applying e-APR.