+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Really confused - beginning application questions

NinaInOT

May 20, 2016
PERSONAL DETAILS
Question 10: "Current country of residence?"
Because I'm applying Outland (while living in Ottawa for the past two years) do I use this address (Canadian) or my address back home in the states? I haven't lived in the states since late 2013.

Question 12: Previous countries of residence: During the past five years have you lived in any country other than your country of citizenship or your current country of residence (indicated above) for more than six months?

Like question 10, I'm not sure what address to use.

Current occupation/intended occupation?

I don't have a job and I haven't had one since leaving my home state. My intended occupation is a social worker but I haven't even gone to school for it yet. Do I just put "N/A" for both?

Personal Details for Dependants

Question 11: "Will accompany principal applicant to Canada?"

My spouse/sponsor is a Canadian citizen and lives here, I'm not too sure what to put here.

KelseyTVS

Jun 18, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NinaInOT said:
PERSONAL DETAILS
Question 10: "Current country of residence?"
Because I'm applying Outland (while living in Ottawa for the past two years) do I use this address (Canadian) or my address back home in the states? I haven't lived in the states since late 2013.

Question 12: Previous countries of residence: During the past five years have you lived in any country other than your country of citizenship or your current country of residence (indicated above) for more than six months?

Like question 10, I'm not sure what address to use.

Current occupation/intended occupation?

I don't have a job and I haven't had one since leaving my home state. My intended occupation is a social worker but I haven't even gone to school for it yet. Do I just put "N/A" for both?

My spouse/sponsor is a Canadian citizen and lives here, I'm not too sure what to put here.
If you are in Canada, use your Canadian address. For question 12, put the address of anywhere you've lived other than Canada and your country of citizenship. Write N/A if you've never lived anywhere else. For your occupation you can put unemployed. What is your status in Canada? Do you have a work permit or are you here as a visitor?

You can put no for question 11, they know your spouse will already be Canadian. The form is generic and also used for other types of applications where the applicant and spouse are both immigrants, so don't worry about it.

NinaInOT

May 20, 2016
KelseyTVS said:
If you are in Canada, use your Canadian address. For question 12, put the address of anywhere you've lived other than Canada and your country of citizenship. Write N/A if you've never lived anywhere else. For your occupation you can put unemployed. What is your status in Canada? Do you have a work permit or are you here as a visitor?

You can put no for question 11, they know your spouse will already be Canadian. The form is generic and also used for other types of applications where the applicant and spouse are both immigrants, so don't worry about it.
Thank you so very much! I'm out of status, which is causing more anxiety for me since I now know you have to have legal status before applying. I'm here as a visitor.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That might be a problem with an Outland application.

There was a person who was in Canada, without status, and had submitted an Outland application, showing a residential address in Canada. The person was told to leave and re-enter Canada, since legal status was required.

Legal status is not required for an Inland application (even though the Guide was changed in September 2014, saying that it is).

NinaInOT

May 20, 2016
Ponga said:
That might be a problem with an Outland application.

There was a person who was in Canada, without status, and had submitted an Outland application, showing a residential address in Canada. The person was told to leave and re-enter Canada, since legal status was required.

Legal status is not required for an Inland application (even though the Guide was changed in September 2014, saying that it is).
Is this a common occurrence? I'm really scared that if I leave Canada I won't be allowed back in. I have a hard time trying to convince myself to apply inland (the processing time is entirely too long) so still desire to go the Outland route.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NinaInOT said:
Is this a common occurrence? I'm really scared that if I leave Canada I won't be allowed back in. I have a hard time trying to convince myself to apply inland (the processing time is entirely too long) so still desire to go the Outland route.
This was the first time I had heard of this happening. There have been a few (not many, apparently) here that did apply Outland without status and were allowed to remain in Canada, but they had applied previous to this other person (and had all landed by then). This could be something that CIC is now started to enforce.

FWIW, lawyers and even CIC staff at the Call Centre say that a person without status needs to submit an Inland application. Nobody (that I know of) was ever told to submit an Outland application by someone with knowledge of CIC's policies.

Good luck!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
NinaInOT said:

Your spouse is not a dependent, so you shouldn't even be filling out that section.

NinaInOT said:
It's happened once on the forum. The person flagpoled at the border, explained the situation and was granted new visitor status by CBSA.

Lons

May 15, 2016
There have been very few occurrences on this forum of someone submitting an outland application from within Canada without status, successfully. I am out of status myself and I opted to apply inland in November 2015. I recently received DM and am hoping to land before the end of July. The processing times are changing a lot recently, I would check out the timelines if I were you: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Yn3BFzI4q4xAy4EW3pG4CgQz9o3EzF5b18_tcSJwBhA/edit#gid=1992004750

Which VO would you be applying through, if you were going to apply outland? There have been people receiving DM in as little as two months from places like the US. If you're from the US and willing the leave the country, you could try leaving and submitting an application outland. You would have no problem whatsoever. You could also return to Canada as a visitor while you're waiting on the processing.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
It's happened once on the forum. The person flagpoled at the border, explained the situation and was granted new visitor status by CBSA.
It's worth mentioning that the other applicant had already submitted the Outland application and (I believe) had sponsor approval already. This undoubtedly has more credence with CBSA than a person that hasn't applied yet...hoping they have the same good fortune.

I suppose this OP can submit and hope that they are as fortunate.

babymistycat

Star Member
May 22, 2016
Ponga: For what I have read from the forum, many advice to apply outland even for out if status bcos there is no advantage applying inland and no guarantee it will approve through inland and inland cannot appeal. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
babymistycat said:
Ponga: For what I have read from the forum, many advice to apply outland even for out if status bcos there is no advantage applying inland and no guarantee it will approve through inland and inland cannot appeal. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you
It's a mystery how CIC handles Outland applicants that are out of status. Inland applicants are not required to have legal status, but there's nothing in writing from CIC regarding Outland applicants, in Canada without status.