+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-applying for PR after losing it because of unmet obligations

rajsri

Aug 25, 2013
My family and I immigrated to Canada back in 2009. We landed, received the PR cards, spent a month in Toronto, but then we had to come back to our country of origin. Unfortunately, in all these years we did not have the chance to come back to Canada except for short trips. So we didn't meet the residency requirements and I guess we now have to surrender our (former) PR status and reapply if we want to try again and immigrate to Canada. Is that correct, or is there any way to use an "expired" PR status to enter the country again?
Hi.. Could you please let me know what did you do?

rajsri

Aug 25, 2013
Hi,
I landed in Canada in Dec 2014 and came back to india within a week. I got a PR Card with effective date Feb 23 2015. RO will be counted from Dec 2014 or Fe 2015?. I had a Kid in 201. Can I re-enter Canada with my Kid ?. can anyone help me on this?.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi,
I landed in Canada in Dec 2014 and came back to india within a week. I got a PR Card with effective date Feb 23 2015. RO will be counted from Dec 2014 or Fe 2015?. I had a Kid in 201. Can I re-enter Canada with my Kid ?. can anyone help me on this?.
Dec 2014. The dates on the PR Card are irrelevant to the compliance with the Residency Obligation. If the child is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, you will need to obtain a visa. You cannot sponsor a child if you are not currently resident in Canada.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You will have to either return to Canada and sponsor your child while he waits in India or apply for a TRV. You are at risk of not meeting RO, so you should be expediting your return.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi,
On what specific date did you land in Canada as PR, and what specific date did you leave Canada after that?

Assuming you landed/left Canada all in Dec 2014, then most likely you are already in violation of your Residency Obligation. Once you've spent 3 straight years outside Canada you are no longer meeting the RO.

If you indeed are in violation of the RO, you now face many difficulties.
When you try to re-enter Canada, you could be reported for RO violation by CBSA, and process started to revoke your PR status.

Even if you can make it back to Canada without being reported, you can't sponsor your child since you are in violation of RO. You would need to wait inside Canada 2 years without leaving, and only then can apply to sponsor your child.

rajsri

Aug 25, 2013
On what specific date did you land in Canada as PR, and what specific date did you leave Canada after that?

Assuming you landed/left Canada all in Dec 2014, then most likely you are already in violation of your Residency Obligation. Once you've spent 3 straight years outside Canada you are no longer meeting the RO.

If you indeed are in violation of the RO, you now face many difficulties.
When you try to re-enter Canada, you could be reported for RO violation by CBSA, and process started to revoke your PR status.

Even if you can make it back to Canada without being reported, you can't sponsor your child since you are in violation of RO. You would need to wait inside Canada 2 years without leaving, and only then can apply to sponsor your child.

Thanks for your detailed response. Is there anyway I can reapply for PR or get some exception?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thanks for your detailed response. Is there anyway I can reapply for PR or get some exception?
Sure, if you don't want to separate from your family you can voluntarily renounce your PR status then try to qualify for PR and apply again with a new app from scratch.

The only exceptions to the residency obligation are if there were serious H&C (Humanitarian and Compassionate) reasons that you weren't able to live in Canada as a PR. Typically this is reserved for serious medical issues of a family member that can be backed up with doctors/hospital receipts and notes.

If you don't have this and only reason you stayed outside Canada was for employment or other personal reasons, you would probably have no chance for any exceptions and if your RO violation was discovered it would result in termination of your PR status.

rajsri

Aug 25, 2013
Sure, if you don't want to separate from your family you can voluntarily renounce your PR status then try to qualify for PR and apply again with a new app from scratch.

The only exceptions to the residency obligation are if there were serious H&C (Humanitarian and Compassionate) reasons that you weren't able to live in Canada as a PR. Typically this is reserved for serious medical issues of a family member that can be backed up with doctors/hospital receipts and notes.

If you don't have this and only reason you stayed outside Canada was for employment or other personal reasons, you would probably have no chance for any exceptions and if your RO violation was discovered it would result in termination of your PR status.
Hi Rob,
I have few more questions.

1. Can I go for Humanitarian and Compassionate appeal without I am getting reported / PR gets revoked?.
2. If PR gets revoked due to RO, will it impact my application when I reapply?
3. If I take a chance to enter Canada without getting reported, can I bring my kid in TRV and extend it when I stay in Canada?

Lonefari

Aug 20, 2014
My brother became a PR 5 years back but didn't stayed in Canada. His wife and 3 kids are here living and studying. My brother now comes via USA -Canada boarder. In his latest attempt, he told the Visa Officer the truth that he is not living here because he supports his family financially from Dubai. The officer was very kind and told him to go and stay as long as you wish to. But after few days he is going back again. He called a guy who is a lawyer who wanted to apply for his PR renewal by taking a chance, which my brother is not willing to do because he don't want to lie or so. Now somebody has told him that you better surrender the PR and don't renew. Later his spouse in Canada can sponsor him? He is confused and really don't know what to do. Can you please let me know what is the best solution to his problem.

atulkumar

Sep 11, 2018
Hi sir I was in Canada more than 730 days (852) but2015 I left Canada before issue PR card 2016 than I had applyed PRTD but they refuse my application & says that you apiel to IAD about H&C but I didn't now tell me what can I do ? what about my status ? Where I can apply again ? Reply soon please

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi sir I was in Canada more than 730 days (852) but2015 I left Canada before issue PR card 2016 than I had applyed PRTD but they refuse my application & says that you apiel to IAD about H&C but I didn't now tell me what can I do ? what about my status ? Where I can apply again ? Reply soon please
Depending on when you left in 2015 you could be not meeting your RO which will be a problem your other issues. When did you apply for prtd?

atulkumar

Sep 11, 2018
I got email from CIC Calgary in 2016/01/05 that your PR card reddy to pick up so I had applied PRTD in month Jan 2016

atulkumar

Sep 11, 2018
Sir I had applyed for renewal of PR card date 12 /08/12 my mother was past away 12/08/14 but I didn't came back to India because of that I have to complete (730days) in October 24/2014 so I was their , till 2015/02/18 than I left Canada same date because my wife has proble in knee she can walk properly another my daughter was study in 10 th so I have to drop off school everyday and to take care of my family ,,,,, my family also PR in Canada they were depend on me they were in Canada less than 2 years but now we are planing to move in Canada for further study of my daughter / son ,,,,,,I don't know what can I do? Where I can apply to go to Canada please guide me & reply soon please thanks sir

atulkumar

Sep 11, 2018
Sir I had applyed for renewal of PR card date 12 /08/12 my mother was past away 12/08/14 but I didn't came back to India because of that I have to complete (730days) in October 24/2014 so I was their , till 2015/02/18 than I left Canada same date because my wife has proble in knee she can walk properly another my daughter was study in 10 th so I have to drop off school everyday and to take care of my family ,,,,, my family also PR in Canada they were depend on me they were in Canada less than 2 years but now we are planing to move in Canada for further study of my daughter / son ,,,,,,I don't know what can I do? Where I can apply to go to Canada please guide me & reply soon please thanks sir