+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ray of hope - FSW - 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Even before COVID, Australia had dropped the number of invites for 189, making the points cut-off go very high, regardless of the occupation.

post COVID they stopped it completely leaving lot of temporary residents (like me) in limbo.

I am really hoping score of 481 is enough to get thru to Canada and give life some stability.
In any case Canada is a better option compared to Australia (my personal opinion). Australia has better Weather, housing costs are lower in Western Australia and may be healthcare system is a tad better than Canada. But Australia is way more cut off than rest of the world. Proximity to USA is a big advantage for Canada. Also, although finding jobs is tough in Canada, I still think there are more opportunities in Canada compared to Australia.

EropbI4

May 29, 2020
I know people who left UK and immigrated to Canada. Immigrating to UK is even more difficult than Australia.
I personally see no reasons to immigrate to the UK:

1. low wages / salary
2. Centralization (London is the only cosmopolitan city)
3. Illegal immigrants, lots of them
4. Thus, high criminality rates
5. Boris Johnson
6. Brexit

Reactions: MapleSyrupPoutine

EscoBlades

Champion Member
Jul 22, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Very deep argumentation, thank you
I mean, when you state something that is factually wrong, there's no need to expend any more energy than is necessary.

Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Bristol, Edinburgh. To name a few.
I lived in the UK for 14 years before moving to Canada.
(Back on topic) I also got ILR, which is the UK's term for Permanent Residency while I was there. I can assure everyone in this thread that it is much harder than attaining PR for Canada.

Reactions: student888

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I mean, when you state something that is factually wrong, there's no need to expend any more energy than is necessary.

(Back on topic) I also got ILR, which is the UK's term for Permanent Residency while I was there. I can assure everyone in this thread that it is much harder than attaining PR for Canada.
Why did you leave for Canada? Just curious,

EropbI4

May 29, 2020

Now I got your point, thank you. If it’s not a secret Why did you decide to move?

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Australians must be racist with white-supremacy ideology, otherwise I cannot see any reason to stop immigration
That's not really true, there are legitimate concerns associated with wanting to reduce immigration. Immigrants use resources and services, they increase pressure on housing and infrastructure, and they may have difficulty assimilating into the country and therefore become ghettoised which translate into social problems. These are all valid reasons for wanting to curb immigration.

Reactions: student888

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Got a job in Canada that was too good to turn down. I had already been thinking about leaving the UK prior to that anyway, so the timing worked out. LMIAs were a bit easier to get back then as well.
Are you happier in Canada than the UK? Which country is better in your opinion overall?

EscoBlades

Champion Member
Jul 22, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Are you happier in Canada than the UK? Which country is better in your opinion overall?
To directly answer your question....Yes*

*I will add that there are things both countries do well in their own respects. The UK has a much better developed banking and financial sector. The UK also has a much better public transit system overall. I [personally] think money (salary, wages, taxes) goes a lot further in Canada if you are outside of Toronto and/or Vancouver. YMMV when it comes to the weather, but most of the UK doesn't get nearly as cold as parts of Canada does in the winter.

Ultimately it comes down to individual values, opportunities, and language(s).

Both are excellent countries to settle down in and have a life. The UK points system is more rigorous than Express entry. However, like Express Entry, it favors those who have bene in UK society for a while and have a pathway towards ILR and eventually, Citizenship.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
It's a longer process in the UK because fist you need to get LR, then you need to have that for 5 years to apply for ILR, and then you need to be there an additional year to get citizenship. In all that's a 6 year process. It's not a problem really if you're based there and working, but it does mean that for 5 years you're without a permanent status, and there's no shortcut for that.

I think different people have different preferences, and that's why you see people moving from different countries where you really wouldn't expect them to. I always find it a bit strange to see British and Australian people moving to Canada given their own countries are prime locations for immigrants to move to, but i guess everyone has their own reasons for moving where they do.

Canada was always my first choice, so i don't know what it's like to have to settle for a second choice like some have had to do here like those in Australia who can't find a way to stay permanently. My own friend wanted to remain in the UK but couldn't find an employer to sponsor him after his studies, so he went back to his home country and immigrated to Canada later on.

But he has trouble with the winters. I don't mind the cold, i prefer to have the sunny skies of Canada in the winter than the grey sky of the UK.

Last edited:

joconstantine

Mar 30, 2020
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
AOR Received.
01-08-2020
It's a longer process in the UK because fist you need to get LR, then you need to have that for 5 years to apply for ILR, and then you need to be there an additional year to get citizenship. In all that's a 6 year process. It's not a problem really if you're based there and working, but it does mean that for 5 years you're without a permanent status, and there's no shortcut for that.

I think different people have different preferences, and that's why you see people moving from different countries where you really wouldn't expect them to. I always find it a bit strange to see British and Australian people moving to Canada given their own countries are prime locations for immigrants to move to, but i guess everyone has their own reasons for moving where they do.

Canada was always my first choice, so i don't know what it's like to have to settle for a second choice like some have had to do here like those in Australia who can't find a way to stay permanently. My own friend wanted to remain in the UK but couldn't find an employer to sponsor him after his studies, so he went back to his home country and immigrated to Canada later on.

But he has trouble with the winters. I don't mind the cold, i prefer to have the sunny skies of Canada in the winter than the grey sky of the UK.
I have spent almost 13 years in Singapore without the permanent resident status (almost 9 years of working if you don’t count my university days).
I totally understand the pain of living on a renewal work visa. Also, When one reaches his 30s, it is very hard to plan ahead without knowing where he should settle down. It took me less than a year to obtain Canada PR. Now I fully understand why my friends left behind good jobs here to immigrate. I certainly don’t regret my own decision to stay behind, but I am happy to move on with my life now.

Status
Not open for further replies.