+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ray of hope - FSW - 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydneyaccountant

Star Member
Nov 21, 2020
Hi guys. Quick question. Does it matter if my points after getting the ITA drop due to age? I have not submitted the application yet and the system is deducting 5 points for age but I got invite before my bday.

guelphite

Jan 22, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
28-10-2020
Med's Request
03-12-2020
Med's Done....
07-01-2020
Hi guys. Quick question. Does it matter if my points after getting the ITA drop due to age? I have not submitted the application yet and the system is deducting 5 points for age but I got invite before my bday.
As I understand this shouldn't be a problem, there is a policy in place for this situation. Would be good to confirm with @legalfalcon

See the "Exemption to A11.2" section in the link here. You need to scroll down a bit for it.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/assessing-electronic-application-on-section-a11-2.html

BlindGoku

Jul 9, 2020
I have spent almost 13 years in Singapore without the permanent resident status (almost 9 years of working if you don’t count my university days).
I totally understand the pain of living on a renewal work visa. Also, When one reaches his 30s, it is very hard to plan ahead without knowing where he should settle down. It took me less than a year to obtain Canada PR. Now I fully understand why my friends left behind good jobs here to immigrate. I certainly don’t regret my own decision to stay behind, but I am happy to move on with my life now.
Similar as you, was in USA with work visa for ~5 years and employeer didn't want to give Green card sponsorship. Could have stayed with another special visa which renews year by year, but that's very unstable. At this age I think stability is better for me, so going for Canadian PR because of that.. hoping for PPR soon, about to cross the 5 month mark after AOR

wildwind123

Oct 18, 2020
In 2012, the Canadian government abruptly canceled processing of pending FSW applications affecting over 200,000 applicants. Now that the processing of FSW is super slow, could this happen again to submitted applications?

Last edited:

willapp

Mar 20, 2020
In 2012, the Canadian government abruptly canceled processing of pending FSW applications affecting over 200,000 applicants. Now that the processing of FSW is super slow, could this happen again to submitted applications?
this is the information I found and it made sense back then because those people were unlikely to get a visa anyway.
I think the reason that they only invite cec now is as they stated, they have full capacity to process cec but limited capacity to process fsw. Since they are in control of who gets invited, this is unlikely to be an issue.

“Under the old system, applicants to the FSW sent their applications to the Visa Office responsible for their area of residency. Visa Offices were given limits as to the number of FSW visas they could issue each year. However, no similar limits were placed on application intake. What resulted from this discrepancy was a rapidly growing backlog that in 2008 totaled around 600,000 applications.”

Reactions: guelphite

joconstantine

Mar 30, 2020
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
AOR Received.
01-08-2020
this is the information I found and it made sense back then because those people were unlikely to get a visa anyway.
I think the reason that they only invite cec now is as they stated, they have full capacity to process cec but limited capacity to process fsw. Since they are in control of who gets invited, this is unlikely to be an issue.

“Under the old system, applicants to the FSW sent their applications to the Visa Office responsible for their area of residency. Visa Offices were given limits as to the number of FSW visas they could issue each year. However, no similar limits were placed on application intake. What resulted from this discrepancy was a rapidly growing backlog that in 2008 totaled around 600,000 applications.”
I guess this was why the crs system came into the scene. To manage the number of applications.

Reactions: BlindGoku

BlindGoku

Jul 9, 2020
I guess this was why the crs system came into the scene. To manage the number of applications.
Yeah, I think you only needed to get the 67 points, and then just wait in line. Because it was so easy to get it, thousands and thousands of people were applying, making the wait unreal.
Don't think they would do that know, as with ITAs and program specific draws, they can control the flow of the applications they are working on...

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I have spent almost 13 years in Singapore without the permanent resident status (almost 9 years of working if you don’t count my university days).
I totally understand the pain of living on a renewal work visa. Also, When one reaches his 30s, it is very hard to plan ahead without knowing where he should settle down. It took me less than a year to obtain Canada PR. Now I fully understand why my friends left behind good jobs here to immigrate. I certainly don’t regret my own decision to stay behind, but I am happy to move on with my life now.
I can relate, i was born and grew up in a Gulf Arab country, so a pathway to permanent residency and citizenship was never an option. Going back to my home country was hard too, because i just didn't have the social capital you build by growing up there, so i always felt like an outcast. And i got tired of how smallminded everyone was there and how exploitative employers are.

I definitely think this aspect of permanence is very important, i know a lot of people who left very high paying jobs in the Gulf to immigrate to Canada, none of them regret it because at least they know this country is their home. There's no price for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: nns14

Adam Tsao

Star Member
Aug 22, 2019

just hope ircc would not cancel our application

wildwind123

Oct 18, 2020

Looks like the Canadian government has had a proven history of arbitrary cancellation. That was not the only time when mass applications were canceled.

In 2014, the Canadian government also eliminated the Investor immigration program and canceled 65k pending applications. In 2019, the Quebec government canceled processing of Skilled Worker cases affecting over 50k individuals in the pool.

Don't want to fear monger, but might need to expect the worst while hoping for the best.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
As I understand this shouldn't be a problem, there is a policy in place for this situation. Would be good to confirm with @legalfalcon

See the "Exemption to A11.2" section in the link here. You need to scroll down a bit for it.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/assessing-electronic-application-on-section-a11-2.html
See https://bit.ly/3iC7PKh

joshytu

Dec 6, 2020
It's a longer process in the UK because fist you need to get LR, then you need to have that for 5 years to apply for ILR, and then you need to be there an additional year to get citizenship. In all that's a 6 year process. It's not a problem really if you're based there and working, but it does mean that for 5 years you're without a permanent status, and there's no shortcut for that.

I think different people have different preferences, and that's why you see people moving from different countries where you really wouldn't expect them to. I always find it a bit strange to see British and Australian people moving to Canada given their own countries are prime locations for immigrants to move to, but i guess everyone has their own reasons for moving where they do.

Canada was always my first choice, so i don't know what it's like to have to settle for a second choice like some have had to do here like those in Australia who can't find a way to stay permanently. My own friend wanted to remain in the UK but couldn't find an employer to sponsor him after his studies, so he went back to his home country and immigrated to Canada later on.

But he has trouble with the winters. I don't mind the cold, i prefer to have the sunny skies of Canada in the winter than the grey sky of the UK.
Yes I prefer to move to the UK than to Canada due to there being a lot more activities to do and proximity of other regions in the world. But alas like your friend I was unable to secure a sponsorship to stay back after my masters and here I am looking to move into Canada. Atleast they share the same monarch so thats some similarity I suppose haha..

joshytu

Dec 6, 2020
Also back on topic, any guesses on when next FSW draws takes place? I'm thinking next FSW is going to be 17/03/2021 at the earliest ( atleast 3 draws from now - 15000 ITA's later). Atleast I hope that's the earliest we can expect them to resume. If not by then, I expect it to be only after Easter.

No reason to say this other than I expect CEC's applicant's to bottom 430's CRS in the next 3 draws and hope that this will prompt IRCC to look at FSW applicant's. However, hope that it is prior to August 2021 as my IELTS expires by then :D:D

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Yes I prefer to move to the UK than to Canada due to there being a lot more activities to do and proximity of other regions in the world. But alas like your friend I was unable to secure a sponsorship to stay back after my masters and here I am looking to move into Canada. Atleast they share the same monarch so thats some similarity I suppose haha..
Well with CANZUK on the cards, we may have freedom of movement soon. It still seems a long way away but it seems to be gathering pace.

Yes, a lot people like the UK because it's well situated in terms of being close to the west and east, and also with Europe on its doorstep. It's also very cosmopolitan, with a large immigrant population especially in London.

But of course, you could say the same for Toronto and other major cities in Canada as well.

It's anyone's guess when the next all program draw will take place, my guess is it won't happen for a few months.

ZAtoCD

Champion Member
Nov 3, 2019
South Africa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Well with CANZUK on the cards, we may have freedom of movement soon. It still seems a long way away but it seems to be gathering pace.

Yes, a lot people like the UK because it's well situated in terms of being close to the west and east, and also with Europe on its doorstep. It's also very cosmopolitan, with a large immigrant population especially in London.

But of course, you could say the same for Toronto and other major cities in Canada as well.

It's anyone's guess when the next all program draw will take place, my guess is it won't happen for a few months.
How amazing would it be if Commonwealth countries (Canada, UK, Aus, NZ, etc.) had a freedom to work partnership in the same way the EU citizen card works? Maybe one day, if the world becomes even more globalized.

My friend inherited French citizenship (despite growing up in SA), and is now working in the UK on right to remain with his fancy EU card - no permit needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.