Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kearnixer said:
Hey guys,

I know this might not be the right thread for it but I haven't received any answers in other threads and here I think people are more active! Does anyone have experience with the IEC Young Professionals Program (employer specific visa)? Or anyone also considering to participate under that program? I would be eligible to work for 1.5 years in Canada and the employer does not need to obtain a LMIA. I'm also in the express entry pool and after one year I would receive more points because of the Canadian work experience plus more points due to the fact that I have a job offer (I'm currently stuck at 456 points).
However, the big challenge is to secure a job from abroad. I am currently not living in Canada and would have to apply from my home country. Would companies even bother to hire someone under the IEC who is not domiciled in Canada and who you can't invite for an interview?

Any thoughts? Any tips?

Thanks!
You will get additional points after you will get 1 year of work experience and a job offer for at least another year. then you will get on the top of 1 year Canada work experience also those 50 LMIA points. However your program is only granting you work visa for 18 months after which your employer (if you will have any at that point) will have to apply for LMIA in order to keep you (or you need to use different LMIA extempt program).
Take it as companies would not most likely bother with anybody who is not in Canada physicaly. (it is possible but rather rare).

Broken Heart

Star Member
Dec 26, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPCO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
12-01-2017
Med's Done....
17-02-2017
Interview........
BG: NN->IP 22-02-2017
Passport Req..
24-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-03-2017
Kearnixer said:
Hey guys,

I know this might not be the right thread for it but I haven't received any answers in other threads and here I think people are more active! Does anyone have experience with the IEC Young Professionals Program (employer specific visa)? Or anyone also considering to participate under that program? I would be eligible to work for 1.5 years in Canada and the employer does not need to obtain a LMIA. I'm also in the express entry pool and after one year I would receive more points because of the Canadian work experience plus more points due to the fact that I have a job offer (I'm currently stuck at 456 points).
However, the big challenge is to secure a job from abroad. I am currently not living in Canada and would have to apply from my home country. Would companies even bother to hire someone under the IEC who is not domiciled in Canada and who you can't invite for an interview?

Any thoughts? Any tips?

Thanks!

Nothing is impossible in life....!!!

However most likely you won't get a job from abroad, since you will need to include a local Canadian phone for employers to call you for first interview and then of course to meet in person. So if you have the work permit in place, come to Canada, rent a cheap room and search for a job like a hawk searching for food, then you will be fine.

As per IEC YP visa, it is an open work permit visa with no LMIA, however it needs a $230 employer compliance fee and Letter. It used to be easier in the past, however with high unemployment in Canada because of the slow economy in these couple of years, employers tend to be reluctant to provide this. However others do.

In regards to the Offer of Employment points, this only is the case if you have LMIA in place.
Employment offers for LMIA exempt work permits (i.e. IEC or PGWP) don't count. You must have LMIA in place to get the CRS points for Offer of Employment.

Good luck.

Broken Heart

Star Member
Dec 26, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPCO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
12-01-2017
Med's Done....
17-02-2017
Interview........
Passport Req..
24-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-03-2017
narindersahib said:
Thank you for the information, however I am doubtful because I was pursuing my full time MBA ( in India) during the time of my paid internship ( 40 hours/week). This internship( industrial training) was part of my academic curriculum. Do you think this would be consider as discrepancy ?

Discrepancy is only considered when you say something, and CIC finds something else. (i.e. fraud, a lie, etc).
Therefore your case of course is NOT considered as discrepancy.

You will need 1 full year of 12 months or equivalent part time of Continuous work.

The first year of work experience for anyone has to be continuous, and after that you can use any work with gaps.
So is this work your first work experience? or you have one year of work experience before this 4 months internship. This is the question in your case?

Kearnixer

Dec 31, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kryt0n said:
Having an iec does not count as a job offer. You will still need an lmia.
On CIC is written:

"Those in Canada temporarily on an employer-specific Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)-exempt work permit will no longer need to get an LMIA to be awarded job offer points by the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).

Points will be awarded for job offers of eligible candidates here on LMIA exempt work permits.

Many people in Canada temporarily on an employer specific LMIA-exempt work permit, but who want to stay in Canada permanently, will no longer need to get an LMIA to be awarded job offer points by the CRS. This includes candidates who are here under the North America Free Trade Agreement, a federal-provincial agreement, Mobilité Francophone, or who are intra-company transferees. The candidates must meet certain criteria, such as at least one year of work experience from the same employer who is providing their job offer."

IEC Young Professionals Program is an employer specific LMIA-exempt work permit which means after one year you can claim the extra points. Anyone sees it differently?

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Kearnixer said:
On CIC is written:

"Those in Canada temporarily on an employer-specific Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)-exempt work permit will no longer need to get an LMIA to be awarded job offer points by the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).

Points will be awarded for job offers of eligible candidates here on LMIA exempt work permits.

Many people in Canada temporarily on an employer specific LMIA-exempt work permit, but who want to stay in Canada permanently, will no longer need to get an LMIA to be awarded job offer points by the CRS. This includes candidates who are here under the North America Free Trade Agreement, a federal-provincial agreement, Mobilité Francophone, or who are intra-company transferees. The candidates must meet certain criteria, such as at least one year of work experience from the same employer who is providing their job offer."

IEC Young Professionals Program is an employer specific LMIA-exempt work permit which means after one year you can claim the extra points. Anyone sees it differently?
I had an IEC permit and it was open - none employer specific. Even if yours is, you'll still need to work there for a year to claim the 50 points.

Broken Heart

Star Member
Dec 26, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPCO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
12-01-2017
Med's Done....
17-02-2017
Interview........
Passport Req..
24-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-03-2017
Kearnixer said:
On CIC is written:

I wish this was the case, but No, IEC is excluded from the list, complete list is as follows:

An LMIA will no longer be needed for certain qualifying job offers to receive CRS points as well as points for arranged employment under the Federal Skilled Worker Class. Many people in Canada on an LMIA exempt work permit will be able to carry that LMIA exemption under Express Entry, including those:

here under the North America Free Trade Agreement
here under a federal-provincial agreement
here under Mobilité Francophone or
are an intra-company transferee

as long as they meet certain criteria, such as at least one year of work experience from the same employer who is providing their job offer.

Kearnixer

Dec 31, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Broken Heart said:
Nothing is impossible in life....!!!

However most likely you won't get a job from abroad, since you will need to include a local Canadian phone for employers to call you for first interview and then of course to meet in person. So if you have the work permit in place, come to Canada, rent a cheap room and search for a job like a hawk searching for food, then you will be fine.

As per IEC YP visa, it is an open work permit visa with no LMIA, however it needs a $230 employer compliance fee and Letter. It used to be easier in the past, however with high unemployment in Canada because of the slow economy in these couple of years, employers tend to be reluctant to provide this. However others do.

In regards to the Offer of Employment points, this only is the case if you have LMIA in place.
Employment offers for LMIA exempt work permits (i.e. IEC or PGWP) don't count. You must have LMIA in place to get the CRS points for Offer of Employment.

Good luck.
Thanks Broken Heart for your answer. Really appreciate it. Regarding extra points please see my previous post just before. With the recent changes you can obtain points for employer specific LMIA-exempt work permit after one year.

Regarding getting a job from abroad in order to participate under IEC: I believe this program was set up as an agreement between Canada and several countries. Canada gives me the opportunity to work in Canada for some time and in return Canadians can work in my country. So I believe most people would apply from abroad? How else should it ever be possible to participate under that program?? I mean I cannot just quit my job just to be physically in Canada.... But I see your point and that is exactly what my fear is. That they wouldn't bother anyway.

Kearnixer

Dec 31, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kryt0n said:
I had an IEC permit and it was open - none employer specific. Even if yours is, you'll still need to work there for a year to claim the 50 points.
But was yours a IEC working holiday visa? Because working holiday visas are open work permit. And IEC Young Professionals would be employer specific.

narindersahib

Nov 21, 2016
Broken Heart said:
Discrepancy is only considered when you say something, and CIC finds something else. (i.e. fraud, a lie, etc).
Therefore your case of course is NOT considered as discrepancy.

You will need 1 full year of 12 months or equivalent part time of Continuous work.

The first year of work experience for anyone has to be continuous, and after that you can use any work with gaps.
So is this work your first work experience? or you have one year of work experience before this 4 months internship. This is the question in your case?
That was a " full time Industrial training program", part of final semester ( 5-6 months) of MBA. I do have 2 years of cont. work experience after my MBA degree. and I think it's not mandatory that your first exp should be of continuous one year. To meet FSWC you must have minimum one year of cont. work and it can be any one of the years with in the last 10 years of exp. Now my doubt is can I add up that semester, industrial paid exp, with other cont work exp ?

Kearnixer

Dec 31, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Broken Heart said:
I wish this was the case, but No, IEC is excluded from the list, complete list is as follows:

An LMIA will no longer be needed for certain qualifying job offers to receive CRS points as well as points for arranged employment under the Federal Skilled Worker Class. Many people in Canada on an LMIA exempt work permit will be able to carry that LMIA exemption under Express Entry, including those:

here under the North America Free Trade Agreement
here under a federal-provincial agreement
here under Mobilité Francophone or
are an intra-company transferee

as long as they meet certain criteria, such as at least one year of work experience from the same employer who is providing their job offer.
Yes I also saw that list. But I read somewhere that IEC Young Professionals would also be included because it is an employer-specific work permit. I will do some more research. But yes, you could be right.

But if I could just work for one year in Canada that would already be amazing for me. Then this hopefully would give me sufficient extra points to be drawn from the pool.

Just trying everything to max my points :(

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Kearnixer said:
Yes I also saw that list. But I read somewhere that IEC Young Professionals would also be included because it is an employer-specific work permit. I will do some more research. But yes, you could be right.

But if I could just work for one year in Canada that would already be amazing for me. Then this hopefully would give me sufficient extra points to be drawn from the pool.

Just trying everything to max my points :(
How many points do you have now?

Broken Heart

Star Member
Dec 26, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPCO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
12-01-2017
Med's Done....
17-02-2017
Interview........
Passport Req..
24-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-03-2017
Kearnixer said:
Thanks Broken Heart for your answer. Really appreciate it. Regarding extra points please see my previous post just before. With the recent changes you can obtain points for employer specific LMIA-exempt work permit after one year.

Regarding getting a job from abroad in order to participate under IEC: I believe this program was set up as an agreement between Canada and several countries. Canada gives me the opportunity to work in Canada for some time and in return Canadians can work in my country. So I believe most people would apply from abroad? How else should it ever be possible to participate under that program?? I mean I cannot just quit my job just to be physically in Canada.... But I see your point and that is exactly what my fear is. That they wouldn't bother anyway.

I just posted the list of LMIA exempt categories, and here you go another more detailed one:
Jobs exempt from the LMIA

You may be exempt from needing an LMIA for Express Entry if your current temporary job is LMIA-exempt, states a specific employer, and is:

covered by an international agreement like NAFTA or GATS, and non-trade agreements. This can include professionals, traders and investors.
covered by an agreement between Canada and a province or territory. This includes “significant investment” projects.
exempt for “Canadian interests” reasons:
“significant benefit” – if your employer can prove you will bring an important social, cultural, and/or economic benefit to Canada. This can include:
general: Self-employed engineers, technical workers, creative and performing artists, etc.
workers transferred within a company (intra-company transferees with specialized knowledge) – only those that will benefit Canada with their skills and experience
workers under Mobilité francophone
reciprocal employment – lets foreign workers get jobs in Canada when Canadians have similar opportunities in other countries
general (such as professional coaches and athletes working for Canadian teams)
International Experience Canada – a work abroad program for youth and young professionals
people in exchange programs like professors and visiting lecturers
designated by the Minister
academics, including researchers, guest lecturers and visiting professors (sponsored through a recognized federal program)
competitiveness and public policy
medical residents and fellows
post-doctoral fellows and people who have won academic awards from Canadian schools
people who have post-graduate work permits that are employer-specific
Charity and religious work (not including volunteers)

These categories can be exempt only if you also meet the criteria in the first section of this page.

Note: jobs that are exempt from needing an LMIA still need a work permit.

The IEC and PGWP, are both LMIA exempt however they do not qualify for the points. Period.

Now regarding how ppl work on IEC, they first come to Canada under the Working Holiday category of 1 yr, then find a job, and then either apply under CEC or apply for Young Professional (YP) program for the second year. Of course some countries can have 2 yrs working holidays. Like Australia, therefore it depends where are you from.

Broken Heart

Star Member
Dec 26, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPCO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
12-01-2017
Med's Done....
17-02-2017
Interview........
Passport Req..
24-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-03-2017
narindersahib said:
That was a " full time Industrial training program", part of final semester ( 5-6 months) of MBA. I do have 2 years of cont. work experience after my MBA degree. and I think it's not mandatory that your first exp should be of continuous one year. To meet FSWC you must have minimum one year of cont. work and it can be any one of the years with in the last 10 years of exp. Now my doubt is can I add up that semester, industrial paid exp, with other cont work exp ?

The 5-6 months work experience won't add any points for you, assuming you only have the other 2 yrs only.
Therefore don't include this.

Only if this period will make a huge change in your application, include it. Otherwise stay away from grey areas when you can(i.e. Internships done as part of study programs).

narindersahib

Nov 21, 2016
Broken Heart said:
The 5-6 months work experience won't add any points for you, assuming you only have the other 2 yrs only.
Therefore don't include this.

Only if this period will make a huge change in your application, include it. Otherwise stay away from grey areas when you can(i.e. Internships done as part of study programs).
I said other 2 years just to put an example.. in actual I have total of 2 years 11 months of exp , where 2 years 2 months is continues. Now if it's (5-6 months) a genuine work exp, I can include it and show 3+ years of exp... that is y asking you how much you are sure about this exp. I know by this month end I would be completing 3 years, but there is no harm to add additional exp , when u are at edge of completing 3 years and claiming points for same..

Broken Heart

Star Member
Dec 26, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPCO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
12-01-2017
Med's Done....
17-02-2017
Interview........
Passport Req..
24-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-03-2017
narindersahib said:
I said other 2 years just to put an example.. in actual I have total of 2 years 11 months of exp , where 2 years 2 months is continues. Now if it's (5-6 months) a genuine work exp, I can include it and show 3+ years of exp... that is y asking you how much you are sure about this exp. I know by this month end I would be completing 3 years, but there is no harm to add additional exp , when u are at edge of completing 3 years and claiming points for same..
It's best to wait the month to complete the 3yrs experience.
As I said earlier having internship as part of a study program is a grey area, therefore there is no need to risk it just for one more month.
Grey areas are in the discretionary of the VO, therefore it is in your best interest to make your application as strong as possible, hence no grey areas are preferred.

Good luck.