+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ray of Hope - 155th Draw

ns317

Aug 29, 2019
Will anyone suggest going for a postgraduate diploma in Canada for January intake, on a student visa. I am currently stuck at 468. I created my profile in October 2019 and missed a very small window when the scores dropped to my level. Seeking current trends should I think of applying for a good course in Canada or should I wait for couple of more draws.
Also, does the EE profile expired after a year (so that will mean that for me it is fine only till October 2020, right)?
If you can afford it, it’s a great idea. And there’s no harm in getting an acceptance from a course and waiting to see a few months to see the fate of the draws. I think it’s always best to have a plan B.

But I’d recommend going for Fall 2021 intake rather than Jan 2021. There might still be a risk of covid related travel restrictions in January. Waiting for the Fall admission cycle to start (typically by September/October depending on the type of course you are targeting) will also give you the opportunity to see if 468 is likely to be drawn by then.

Reactions: tani90

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Will anyone suggest going for a postgraduate diploma in Canada for January intake, on a student visa. I am currently stuck at 468. I created my profile in October 2019 and missed a very small window when the scores dropped to my level. Seeking current trends should I think of applying for a good course in Canada or should I wait for couple of more draws.
Also, does the EE profile expired after a year (so that will mean that for me it is fine only till October 2020, right)?
I don't think the score will come down 10 points in the next couple of draws. It hasn't gone below 469 for a while now.

How about learning a bit of French? Although to get real benefit (like 30 points or more) you need intermediate level scores. But with your score, even a bad score on TEF might get you over the line. Have you checked your score after putting low scores for French? And it might be an easier route than getting a diploma.

There is a poster on here who learned French from scratch to advanced level in just 6 months. She went from 430 something to 470 I believe (or something like that). Look her up. It's doable and cheaper and better option than a diploma. The post is from a poster called dayocanny I believe.

tani90

Jan 8, 2020
If you can afford it, it’s a great idea. And there’s no harm in getting an acceptance from a course and waiting to see a few months to see the fate of the draws. I think it’s always best to have a plan B.

But I’d recommend going for Fall 2021 intake rather than Jan 2021. There might still be a risk of covid related travel restrictions in January. Waiting for the Fall admission cycle to start (typically by September/October depending on the type of course you are targeting) will also give you the opportunity to see if 468 is likely to be drawn by then.
Do you have any idea if we can defer the intake from January to May. I have only applied to one college so far and I don't know if I will be eligible for it. I am also looking at a few other good colleges. You are extremely right in saying that. under the current cover-situation it should be after May (next year) that I apply but won't that be too late. Also I am not sure when will they open international travel. Thanks again for answering.

tani90

Jan 8, 2020
Th
I would suggest you to wait for sometime and you may get an ITA with this score. EE profile is valid for one year, so you can create a new one once it is expired.

Moving to Canada on student visa includes high cost. So, you should not take this route if your score is already good for getting an ITA
Thanks for the positive reply buddy. The thing is every forum I check people are mostly saying that their is no chance my scores will be reaches. Plus even for people that have received the ITA, some are still waiting for the COPR thing even after 8-9 months. So I don't know where this whole scenario leaves us. First wait for the ITA and after that the final thing... Hehe ! :)

tani90

Jan 8, 2020
I don't think the score will come down 10 points in the next couple of draws. It hasn't gone below 469 for a while now.

How about learning a bit of French? Although to get real benefit (like 30 points or more) you need intermediate level scores. But with your score, even a bad score on TEF might get you over the line. Have you checked your score after putting low scores for French? And it might be an easier route than getting a diploma.

There is a poster on here who learned French from scratch to advanced level in just 6 months. She went from 430 something to 470 I believe (or something like that). Look her up. It's doable and cheaper and better option than a diploma. The post is from a poster called dayocanny I believe.
I just checked it and I feel I can do that but if I enter the bare minimum scores on the CRS calculator, no addition is done to my current scores. What should I do ?

ns317

Aug 29, 2019
Do you have any idea if we can defer the intake from January to May. I have only applied to one college so far and I don't know if I will be eligible for it. I am also looking at a few other good colleges. You are extremely right in saying that. under the current cover-situation it should be after May (next year) that I apply but won't that be too late. Also I am not sure when will they open international travel. Thanks again for answering.
Hoping for a deferred admission might be risky. Colleges are not keen to offer that and they might just offer online instead. What type of course are you targeting? I've been looking at a few business schools recently and the majority of them start their applications for Fall 2021 in another month or two.

French is a very feasible way to get extra 8 points. Go here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/standard-requirements/language-requirements/test-equivalency-charts.html and check the TEF equivalency table. If you get to CLB 5 in a skill, you get 1 point. If you get to CLB 7, you get 3 points. You could try to get CLB 5 in all skills and get to 472, which seems a much safer score than 468.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
I just checked it and I feel I can do that but if I enter the bare minimum scores on the CRS calculator, no addition is done to my current scores. What should I do ?
Try different combination of scores to see if you get anything.

Or learn french. It will help you in Canada (opens up working in Quebec) and much much cheaper than going for a diploma. French is an easy language if you know English. I learnt a bit myself but if you can be regular (like putting in a couple of hours a day) you can easily get to B2 level in 9-12 months. B2 is intermediate level and a B2 score in all sections will get you 30 points more.

Far better option than another diploma IMO (especially in your case).

Niara

Jun 7, 2020
Category........
FSW
Thanks for the reply dear. I asked my University to send the transcripts via email (scanned copies) and it was updated in a weeks time by them. I started the process on February 6th (creation of profile and asking my university. to send the degree and transcripts) and I got an intimation from them on May 9th (stating that they have reviewed the certificates). But since they could not post it to my address in India they enquired if I have someone staying in Canada or US so that they could send the hard copy. I received the actual hard copy on the July 4th. So if this situation was not there I would have received the copy earlier. Also they do not updated the final equivalency (like WES) on the profile page.

Hope that answered your questions. SO roughly it took them approx. 3 months (which is far quicker than what WES took for my cases, plus giving me a downgraded result).
Thanks a lot for answering.
I hope you get your ITA in the next draw!

tani90

Jan 8, 2020
Hoping for a deferred admission might be risky. Colleges are not keen to offer that and they might just offer online instead. What type of course are you targeting? I've been looking at a few business schools recently and the majority of them start their applications for Fall 2021 in another month or two.

French is a very feasible way to get extra 8 points. Go here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/standard-requirements/language-requirements/test-equivalency-charts.html and check the TEF equivalency table. If you get to CLB 5 in a skill, you get 1 point. If you get to CLB 7, you get 3 points. You could try to get CLB 5 in all skills and get to 472, which seems a much safer score than 468.
I agree that deferred admission won't be a good idea. I am actually targeting January but keeping the current situation in mind, I am still pondering whether it will be a good option as things still doesn't seem to get better. Being an MBA-Finance and have a strong inclination towards Data Science, I am looking for a few courses in Data Analytics/ Business Analytics. I have started a small application to Seneca college but a friend suggested George Brown University, the issue is that they are almost full for Winter 2021 intake and have closed their application for international students. I also did find an extremely good course in Trend Uni (which is for 16 months) but that one is also close for Jan intake. What is your current qualification? I feel that going for a one-year graduate diploma in your field or maybe a Masers course will be better.

FRENCH:
I will definitely look into direction. I am not too sure but I would really like to learn something new that gives me some kind of edge as the competition is increasing almost every day.
Thanks !

Igethope

Sep 17, 2019

Let’s not forget that there was a draw in March 23 and April 9. About 6500 people with Crs 467 and 464 were drawn from the pool. With on back to back draw 468 can get ITA in few draws.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Let’s not forget that there was a draw in March 23 and April 9. About 6500 people with Crs 467 and 464 were drawn from the pool. With on back to back draw 468 can get ITA in few draws.
Those draws are CEC draws. I am assuming people are talking of FSW here? I could be wrong, i just assumed it was CEC,

Heck if you fall into CEC they even had a score as low as 431.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/submit-profile/rounds-invitations/results-previous.html

ns317

Aug 29, 2019
I agree that deferred admission won't be a good idea. I am actually targeting January but keeping the current situation in mind, I am still pondering whether it will be a good option as things still doesn't seem to get better. Being an MBA-Finance and have a strong inclination towards Data Science, I am looking for a few courses in Data Analytics/ Business Analytics. I have started a small application to Seneca college but a friend suggested George Brown University, the issue is that they are almost full for Winter 2021 intake and have closed their application for international students. I also did find an extremely good course in Trend Uni (which is for 16 months) but that one is also close for Jan intake. What is your current qualification? I feel that going for a one-year graduate diploma in your field or maybe a Masers course will be better.

FRENCH:
I will definitely look into direction. I am not too sure but I would really like to learn something new that gives me some kind of edge as the competition is increasing almost every day.
Thanks !
I’ve got an MBA from a decade ago. I’ve been quite keen on doing a masters in public policy for a while now, but Canadian schools do not take a lot of international students in MPA courses typically. So I’m also considering doing a 1-year MBA ideally from Montreal. That would allow me to improve my French as well, living in a francophone city for a year.

Whichever it is, it would be in the Fall.

jrossi

Jan 13, 2020
Yep, if we assume 500 people will enter the pool between last wednesday and this wednesday (considering a B2B) in the 470-600+ range, and around 1200 people will enter the same range between Next Wednesday and July 29th, than there's a real chance of around 1000-1500 people below 471 receiving ITAs on the last draw of July. That would be enough for, I believe, at least 468+ candidates.
But of course, it all depends on wether the influx of candidates continue to be below (or around) 1000 candidates/fortnightly, and IRCC continues to invite 3900 candidates in each round. If the influx starts to ramp up to January/February levels, then I really believe 475+ will be the new normal.

Igethope

Sep 17, 2019