+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions regarding TRV Visa application

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No no guys, slow down. Although I haven't met RO (but I still have more than 3 years remaining to meet it), I don't care as my US Green Card has been picked up, so I'm not returning to Canada in the long-term. This visa for my wife is JUST a visa, nothing more intended. Like I said in the other thread, my wife is going to Pakistan to complete her studies soon, just so she can return to US in time for her delivery (scheduled for US, *NOT* Canada). In fact, I don't even care if the Visa is only valid for a month, just so we can go on this trip. I don't even mind disclosing the pregnancy thing to the VO, but Bryanna suggested against that so I'm not doing that. I want the baby to be delivered in the US, not Canada.

We had even decided against the TRV visa application to begin with, but thought of picking it up last minute to see if we can attend that awards show (https://www.ticketmaster.ca/6th-HUM-Awards-tickets/artist/2506232). That's why in a hurry since last few days, I have been researching about getting the visa again.

Hope that un-complicates things.
We understand that you don't plan on returning to Canada but CIC will think you are returning. The RO is 2 years out of 5 years so you can't have 3 years left. You can only be out of Canada for 3 years. This is not an uncommon situation. Your wife has no job, no savings and doesn't live in her home country and has no ties to the US except you. Her application has very little chance of success. I would recommend revoking your PR if you want to visit Canada in the future. Your chances of both getting a TRV would go up. Wouldn't want the refusal on my record just for an awards show.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Although your advice makes sense, I'm not sure how waiting will help her situation. For example, she can't work in the US because of visa restrictions. Can you elaborate perhaps ?
By waiting, I meant to take the time to prepare the application well. I wouldn't rush because you want to see the awards show. A refusal remains on the visa records forever.

You have several challenges to overcome
You haven't met RO + your wife does not have any strong ties to the US and Pakistan + she does not have a strong purpose of visit (award shows have happened in the past too but she did not apply then to attend these shows) + she is pregnant, etc

IMO, to have some chances of approval, you would really want to prove that YOU have compelling reasons to return to the US (like what you've told us) and you must submit every possible evidence for this

ahmadka

May 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2015
Doc's Request.
07-08-2015
AOR Received.
01-10-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
By waiting, I meant to take the time to prepare the application well. I wouldn't rush because you want to see the awards show. A refusal remains on the visa records forever.

You have several challenges to overcome
You haven't met RO + your wife does not have any strong ties to the US and Pakistan + she does not have a strong purpose of visit (award shows have happened in the past too but she did not apply then to attend these shows) + she is pregnant, etc

IMO, to have some chances of approval, you would really want to prove that YOU have compelling reasons to return to the US (like what you've told us) and you must submit every possible evidence for this
Hi @Bryanna .... thanks for your tremendous help.

Well I've thought about your point, and here are all the sure-shot reasons because of which we'll be coming back to the US:

1. My wife is doing a Masters remotely from an institute in Pakistan, and she needs to return to Pakistan to complete it shortly. My wife has confirmed airline tickets already fully booked, for taking her to Pakistan from US in August, and her return to US is currently scheduled for October. I am also going with her, although I will be returning to US early. I can show these tickets.
2. Two reasons why leaving my job in the US won't be fruitful for me:
a) We are scheduled to get bonuses in the fall this year which would be pretty sizable in amount. Leaving before they're issued means that I don't receive them.
b) Because I've been at my company in the US for some time, I am eligible for parental leave when my wife has her delivery. Giving up my job would mean that I don't receive that anymore, as you have to be in the company for at least a year to be eligible for it.​
3. We both have a lease in our names till end of next June.
4. My wife is pregnant and we plan to have the baby delivered in the US. This is obvious to see because I have a job here, an apartment, a working status, etc. Now I know there's no 'evidence' to back up this intention, but still ....​

Do you think the chances of approval for my wife's TRV improve if any of the following happens:

1. Only my wife plans to go to Canada ? Right now my cousin's husband is preparing an invitation letter in which he's inviting both of us, even though only my wife is applying for TRV. Should he only invite my wife, to show that only my wife is going ?
2. Apply for TRV from Pakistan, when my wife is in Pakistan from August till October ?​

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi @Bryanna .... thanks for your tremendous help.

Well I've thought about your point, and here are all the sure-shot reasons because of which we'll be coming back to the US:

1. My wife is doing a Masters remotely from an institute in Pakistan, and she needs to return to Pakistan to complete it shortly. My wife has confirmed airline tickets already fully booked, for taking her to Pakistan from US in August, and her return to US is currently scheduled for October. I am also going with her, although I will be returning to US early. I can show these tickets.​
She would also want to include evidence about why it is necessary for her to return to Pakistan for her online Masters program + enrollment, tuition fees, etc.

Typically, an online study program can be completed from anywhere in the world. This does not make it a strong tie.

2. Two reasons why leaving my job in the US won't be fruitful for me:
a) We are scheduled to get bonuses in the fall this year which would be pretty sizable in amount. Leaving before they're issued means that I don't receive them.​
You'll need to include evidence for this.

b) Because I've been at my company in the US for some time, I am eligible for parental leave when my wife has her delivery. Giving up my job would mean that I don't receive that anymore, as you have to be in the company for at least a year to be eligible for it.
Again, evidence would help.

3. We both have a lease in our names till end of next June.
Like I mentioned in one of your other threads, this won't help because your wife is not paying the rent. Nonetheless, you can include it.

4. My wife is pregnant and we plan to have the baby delivered in the US. This is obvious to see because I have a job here, an apartment, a working status, etc. Now I know there's no 'evidence' to back up this intention, but still ....
Do you think the chances of approval for my wife's TRV improve if any of the following happens:
IMO, you must not mention that she is pregnant. It might complicate matters.

1. Only my wife plans to go to Canada ? Right now my cousin's husband is preparing an invitation letter in which he's inviting both of us, even though only my wife is applying for TRV. Should he only invite my wife, to show that only my wife is going ?
It won't make a difference if the invitation letter mentions both or you or only your spouse. As a PR, you cannot be denied entry.

Your wife must have a strong purpose of visit. Currently, it does not seem like she has a reason to visit.

2. Apply for TRV from Pakistan, when my wife is in Pakistan from August till October ?
Not a good idea because her ties are weaker in Pakistan as compared to those in the US

ahmadka

May 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2015
Doc's Request.
07-08-2015
AOR Received.
01-10-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
She would also want to include evidence about why it is necessary for her to return to Pakistan for her online Masters program + enrollment, tuition fees, etc.

Typically, an online study program can be completed from anywhere in the world. This does not make it a strong tie.​
She's not enrolled in an online study program. She needs to return to Pakistan to first of all conduct her thesis research, give her thesis defence, and also complete formalities for getting her MPhil degree. If her enrollment letter mentions all this, will it help her TRV application ?

Again, evidence would help
So I need to supply a letter detailing that I'm eligible for parental leave around the time my wife is having her baby ? ... Anything else it should mention ? ......... But isn't this against your other point that I should not mention the pregnancy thing at all ?

Not a good idea because her ties are weaker in Pakistan as compared to those in the US
Why do you think this ? She entire immediate family is based in Pakistan, and also her in-laws (my family).

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
She's not enrolled in an online study program. She needs to return to Pakistan to first of all conduct her thesis research, give her thesis defence,
Sorry. None of this is making sense to me.

She needs to return to Pakistan to start/conduct the research for her thesis + then defend her thesis.... both of these in less than three months i.e. August-October? This masters program is a remote study program?

and also complete formalities for getting her MPhil degree.
One can apply for a M.Phil. program only after one has successfully completed a masters degree. So how would she get a M.Phil. degree now?

Also, a M.Phil. degree is normally a full-time research-based degree program.

If her enrollment letter mentions all this, will it help her TRV application ?
Like I said, none of this makes sense to me. IMO, this won't make sense to the visa officer as well. Hopefully, it is a genuine study program.

So I need to supply a letter detailing that I'm eligible for parental leave around the time my wife is having her baby ? ... Anything else it should mention ? ......... But isn't this against your other point that I should not mention the pregnancy thing at all ?
My bad. Drop this parental leave point out.

Why do you think this ? She entire immediate family is based in Pakistan, and also her in-laws (my family).
After marriage, her strongest family tie is you, not her family in Pakistan. As you reside in the US, your and her ties are strongest to the US. She does not live in Pakistan

ahmadka

May 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2015
Doc's Request.
07-08-2015
AOR Received.
01-10-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
@Bryanna, sorry I didn't explain fully. My wife's MPhil program is a full fledged program that's 2 years long. We got married in February this year. Before marriage, my wife was studying in Pakistan in this program for 1.5 years. After marriage she came to the US to live with me, but her research stopped mostly. However her research is mostly complete and she need to just return to wrap it up, do her defence, get her degree, and come back to the US.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
@Bryanna, sorry I didn't explain fully. My wife's MPhil program is a full fledged program that's 2 years long. We got married in February this year. Before marriage, my wife was studying in Pakistan in this program for 1.5 years. After marriage she came to the US to live with me, but her research stopped mostly. However her research is mostly complete and she need to just return to wrap it up, do her defence, get her degree, and come back to the US.
Okay.

She would need to include a letter from the university that states she is a bonafide student + a letter from her research guide + a synopsis of her research thesis + copies of tuition fee receipts, student ID, admission letter, university web pages for this program and the contact information, etc

ahmadka

May 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2015
Doc's Request.
07-08-2015
AOR Received.
01-10-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
Okay.

She would need to include a letter from the university that states she is a bonafide student + a letter from her research guide + a synopsis of her research thesis + copies of tuition fee receipts, student ID, admission letter, university web pages for this program and the contact information, etc
Alright we'll do that, thanks. But where do we attach this info in her TRV application ? There's no educational documents section. The categories for upload are:

Application for Visitor Visa (IMM5257)
Travel History
Passport
Proof of Financial Resource of Supporter
Proof of Means of Financial Suppor
Digital Photo
Purpose of Travel - Other
Proof of Relationship
Family Information (IMM5645)
Schedule1 - Application for a TRV Made Outside Canada (IMM5257)
Client Information

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Alright we'll do that, thanks. But where do we attach this info in her TRV application ? There's no educational documents section. The categories for upload are:

Application for Visitor Visa (IMM5257)
Travel History
Passport
Proof of Financial Resource of Supporter
Proof of Means of Financial Suppor
Digital Photo
Purpose of Travel - Other
Proof of Relationship
Family Information (IMM5645)
Schedule1 - Application for a TRV Made Outside Canada (IMM5257)
Client Information
All documents that are not specifically requested for must be combined as a single PDF.... and uploaded to the Optional/Letter of explanation section.

I would also recommend she includes a cover letter. Suggested format is here:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/help-cover-letter-for-moms-visitor-visa-application.570264/

ahmadka

May 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2015
Doc's Request.
07-08-2015
AOR Received.
01-10-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
Thanks @Bryanna.

Another question: There are two sections I'm confused between: "Client Information" (aka Letter of Explanation) and "Purpose of Travel - Other". Where do I show proof and reasoning that we'll leave Canada after our visit ?

These are the things I need to split between the above two categories (or possibly some other category ?):
  • Air tickets to Pakistan from US (proving that we need to come back to US, in order to fly to Pakistan)
  • My US job offer letter, employment letter and leave letter (to prove I have a job in US to come back to)
  • Rental lease agreement with both our names (to prove we have a rent contract to honour)
  • Provision flight plan for flying to Canada and back
  • Canada day-to-day activity plan with expenses
  • My wife's Pakistani university enrollment stuff (proving that she's studying for which she needs to leave Canada to return to Pakistan)
  • Letter of Invitation from our host
Please guide me where to mention above things. Thanks!

Last edited:

ahmadka

May 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2015
Doc's Request.
07-08-2015
AOR Received.
01-10-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
Hi @Bryanna, could you kindly answer above ?

Thanks!

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Reactions: ahmadka

ahmadka

May 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2015
Doc's Request.
07-08-2015
AOR Received.
01-10-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
@Bryanna, I'm reading on the forums that people applying for TRV are showing anywhere between 2000 - 10000 CAD in their bank accounts, and are still being advised to show more for a 5-10 day trip to Canada.

My wife mentioned 1100 CAD on her application for a 5-6 day trip (for which she had USD equivalent amount in her OWN bank account), with my additional bank statement showing about 6000 CAD equivalent funds in my bank account, and my letter of financial support.

Did my wife make a mistake mentioning just 1100 CAD on her application for a 5-6 day trip ??? :(

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
@Bryanna, I'm reading on the forums that people applying for TRV are showing anywhere between 2000 - 10000 CAD in their bank accounts, and are still being advised to show more for a 5-10 day trip to Canada.

My wife mentioned 1100 CAD on her application for a 5-6 day trip (for which she had USD equivalent amount in her OWN bank account), with my additional bank statement showing about 6000 CAD equivalent funds in my bank account, and my letter of financial support.

Did my wife make a mistake mentioning just 1100 CAD on her application for a 5-6 day trip ??? :(
As her application has already been submitted, honestly it is pointless to think/rethink about it. You will only get stressed unnecessarily.

I did recommend that you must not rush to submit her application. Awards shows come and go.... but visa refusals (hopefully a visa approval here) remain on the records forever