+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on travel document format. please help asap

canvi

Feb 20, 2013
Hello,

I have a question on travel document.

I had to come back to India before receiving my PR card in Canada (I am new landed permanent resident). I applied for travel document in order to return to Canada as permanent resident. I am going to receive permanent residency travel document tomorrow. I have flight in this week. Please help.

I read on cbsa website that

"The Single Journey Travel Document will be issued in conjunction with a counterfoil visa and will include a die-cut photo. Without seals over the counterfoil and photo, the document is not valid for travel. The document will be recovered by the port of entry officers upon arrival in Canada."

What is a die-cut photo ? Does it mean my photo will not be clear on travel document?

So will I get my travel document in a sealed envelope OR will the "visa part" and "photograph part" of the travel document be covered with another paper/seal so that it can't be seen by anyone else.

If it is so, can I open the seal myself and see the details for visa and my photograph (to verify they are correct and they belong to me)?

OR should I simply carry the document as is and immigration officer at Canada airport will open the seal?

How can I verify that I got my travel document with all accurate details without being rejected.

Please suggest. Thanks a lot for all your help.

canvi

Feb 20, 2013
Hello Delcan, You sent me me a message but I can't send personal messages to anyone on this forum.
I hope you see this message. If you see it, please reply here on this forum, so that I know.

For me it took nearly 25 days to get travel document. But usually it takes only 10 business days (sometimes less). The reason for delay in processing my application is due to the fact that CIC staff were on strike at that time. I am not sure if the strike is still going on. You can call consulate office in NewDelhi to find out if the stirke is still on.
There will not be any issues to enter Canada with travel document,as you already have met all conditions for PR and landed successfully. You only travel document to enter Canada (no other documents such as income proof, employment etc...). As many other people say, you should carry "Confirmation of Permanent Residency" just in case.
When I landed in Toronto, the customs officer asked "on which visa, I am coming to Canada". I mentioned that "I am coming to Canada using travel document".
The other thing is that "Customs officer" in India airport at the time departing, didn't understand what type of visa, I have. I explained to him that it is travel document. Then he stamped my passport. There will not be any issues to enter Canada with travel document. Just make sure you have some id proofs/marriage certificate, as customs officer can ask for proof of ids if they want to.

Please remember that you can't apply for visitor visa once you became PR. If you apply for visitor visa (to enter Canada) instead of Travel document, your application will be returned. I am sure about this.