+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question for those of you who have imported a car to Canada

jobalistic

Jun 20, 2006
Hi

I am preparing to drive my vehicle to BC Canada from the US. For those who have done this already I would like to ask an estimate of the total cost all in all to bring the car over (from RIV fees + GST + provincial fees + a typical modifcation fee + any other fee that is included).

Right now I am having 2nd thoughts of selling the car here in the US and buying one there if it would eventually cost less.

Pls help :)

Eduardo Picazo

Feb 19, 2005
Reynosa, Mexico
Hi Jobalistic

I suggest you to perform a simple Cost-benefit analysis:

1 - a) how much money does your vehicle worth now $XXXX (@ market price)
b) What will be the entire exportation costs, plus all the extra costs in order to convert the vehicle into Canadian regulations. Plus hidden things such as time spent on the process....) just put together all of them.

Versus

2 - What is the cost for a similar Canadian car

Just compare the net-net and you will have the best answer.

Regards,
Eduardo

jobalistic

Jun 20, 2006
Hi Eduardo

Thanks for the note. The one that I am trying to identify right now is an estimate for the total importation costs + extra costs to conform the vehicle into Canadian regulations. I was reading the informtion on this in RIV and the Canada border services websites, and so far I could only identify that there are certain costs but was not able to find how much exactly...

Thats why I was hoping to ask those who have been to a similar process if they could provide an estimate as to how much it cost them to convert their vehicle (assuming say the value of their car ranges from 15K to 25K USD)

also are all vehicles to be shipped require to have day time running lights?

Thanks!

dacoru

Feb 24, 2006
Last august I imported my truck to Alberta
I paid around $200 at the border.
When I received the letter from RIV, I did the federal Inspection which was free.
Then I did the provincial Inpection, which cost me $115
After that I registered my truck which cost $75
And is done, Total around $390 + the all day running lights module which I bought in the US by internet and installed myself (so easy). It cost me US $50

jobalistic

Jun 20, 2006
dacoru said:
When I received the letter from RIV, I did the federal Inspection which was free.
And is done, Total around $390 + the all day running lights module which I bought in the US by internet and installed myself (so easy). It cost me US $50
----------

Hi Dacoru

Thanks for the information this really helps! I'm a bit surprise at the amount you paid at the border which was $200. Did that include the GST (7% of Vehicle value) as well? The reason I was surprised is that RIV provided a sample computation of how much duties and taxes will be (pls see this link http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4140/rc4140-05e.pdf) -- which was alot expensive. but hey im ok with the $200 :)

As for the all day running lights module, I was hoping if you could provide the website address so I could look at it as well.

Lastly, did you pay any fees at the US customs for exporting your truck?

Thank you!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jobalistic said:
dacoru said:
----------

Hi Dacoru

Thanks for the information this really helps! I'm a bit surprise at the amount you paid at the border which was $200. Did that include the GST (7% of Vehicle value) as well? The reason I was surprised is that RIV provided a sample computation of how much duties and taxes will be (pls see this link http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4140/rc4140-05e.pdf) -- which was alot expensive. but hey im ok with the $200 :)

As for the all day running lights module, I was hoping if you could provide the website address so I could look at it as well.

Lastly, did you pay any fees at the US customs for exporting your truck?

Thank you!
If the vehicle is included in your settlers effects, ie you are landing as an immigrant, then there is not pst/gst or duties.

PMM

dacoru

Feb 24, 2006
As PMM said, If you are skilled immigrant, you can include your vehicle as part of your belongings, which make it exempt of taxes, the only thing to be worried is the federal registration fee which is 209 in all provinces but Quebec charge 224. That amount include taxes and everything.
Now, in reference to the daytime running lights module, I don't remmember the web site but you can try looking in Google. I know some sites like Autotoys.com probably has it.
Finally, In the US customs, you don't need to pay anything. However, don't forget to fax the title of your car (72 hrs in advance). If the title shows any lien, you need a letter from the lienholder releasing the lien. That fax must be sent to the port that you are planning to cross ( You can call them before your trip to know if everything is in order). At the border, you must go to the US customs before going to the canadian border, and The US officer will stamp the title, allowing you to export the car.
You need to provide a Canadian address, and 10 days later they sent a letter to proceed with the process.
Ok, Good luck with your project.

jobalistic

Jun 20, 2006
jobalistic said:
Dacoru and PMM thanks so much!
Hi Dacoru and PMM

Sorry for the add on but I have to ask, Did you submit any form at the US Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to declare that you are exporting your vehicle, or did US customs do this for you when you faxed in your Title?

Thanks again

dacoru

Feb 24, 2006
I didn't file any document with Texas DMV. Also, Customs, only wanted to know if title was clear, I don't believe they inform DMV about the exportation, When I registered my car in Alberta, they didn't retain the US title. indeed, I have the original Texas title, and the Alberta registration.
I don't think is necessary to inform DMV, unless you are selling your car. in ths case you file a form to release your liability on that car.
if you are in TX, You can check it on:
http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/title-transfers.php
or see the transfer notification form on:
ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/vtr/forms/vtr-346.pdf