+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about new Public policy for PGWP extention.

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
Hello guys, A friend of mine got a study permit/Work permit after her pgwp expired in April 2020. can she still apply for the OWP
The guidelines will be released on Jan 27, 2021 for the OWP 18 month extension for PGWP holders. However, I think when the guidelines are released, you may not be eligible if your currently enrolled in full-time program in one of the DLI on a study permit.

IRCC has never allowed PGWP holders to work and study full-time during the same time period. That is why they separated study and work permits.

Last edited:

CripplingYogi194

Jul 29, 2018
Hello guys, A friend of mine got a study permit/Work permit after her pgwp expired in April 2020. can she still apply for the OWP
did he already attend the new school? if not he should be fine but if he already did, it might be an issue. depends how they process the application

JayFM

Star Member
Nov 21, 2019
Hello guys, My PGWP expired on Nov 2020, my wife and me submitted an application for an extension, It will be possible to apply on implied status? It will be easier if they'll allow us to do a flagpole at the border ...

rumman80

Oct 5, 2020
Hi everyone,
I have a question about the new program of PGWP extension application:
My PGWP will expire on 24 January 2021. Can I still eligible to apply for an extension of 18 months?
Thank you

ZackKar

Nov 10, 2020
hey guys,
My PGWP expired in December 2020, I changed my status to visitor one day before the expiry date and the application is still under process.

IRCC mentioned that in order to apply for the new public policy, the applicant must "have a valid temporary status, or be applying to restore their status"

my question is, should I apply for restoration before January 27th or is it the same application we are going to apply on that date?

Also, are we allowed to work again after January 27th or do we have to wait for the decision to get back to work?

Thanks!

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
hey guys,
My PGWP expired in December 2020, I changed my status to visitor one day before the expiry date and the application is still under process.

IRCC mentioned that in order to apply for the new public policy, the applicant must "have a valid temporary status, or be applying to restore their status"

my question is, should I apply for restoration before January 27th or is it the same application we are going to apply on that date?

Also, are we allowed to work again after January 27th or do we have to wait for the decision to get back to work?

Thanks!
Have to wait until January 27, 2021.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hey guys,

Thanks!
I don't think you need to apply to restore your status since you have implied status.

For your second question regarding how soon you'll be able to work, no one knows that yet. You'll need to wait for the full details to be published.

CripplingYogi194

Jul 29, 2018
I hope we get to renew our sin number as soon as possible.
I was on work permit until dec 2020 and shifted to visitor record. To be able to get the renew the sin, i guess i will need to get the new work permit right and being on implied status wont work for sin renewal?

Reactions: assen89

JayFM

Star Member
Nov 21, 2019
I don't think you need to apply to restore your status since you have implied status.

For your second question regarding how soon you'll be able to work, no one knows that yet. You'll need to wait for the full details to be published.
Thank you :)
Let's wait for the 27th.

ayeshasultana2171

Star Member
Jul 16, 2017
Long scenario but interesting ... do have a look!;)

I have a similar case as CripplingYogi194. My PGWP expired on 1st May 2020 and I applied for an extension ( Open work permit) on April 27th, 2020 and since then I was on implied status. I was working full time since NOV 2019 and my employer agreed to help me with the LMIA and they applied for my LMIA on May 8th, 2020 and that was also pending. ( Note: My agent updated my open work permit to a closed one by sending an LMIA application number to CIC ( Web firm I think) and I was waiting for a close work permit now. ... Still, on the implied status and one fine day I got an invitation to Apply under CEC class as I completed my 1-year experience in Skill level B job( Oct 2020). Still no update on the close work permit or LMIA.
I started gathering documents to submit my PR file and then in November my LMIA got approved, I informed my employer about the invitation and I don't need that LMIA anymore( good people, they agreed to give it to someone else and also gave me the employment letter for 1-year experience).
Submitted PR file - Inland CEC on Dec 17th. and now I wanted/needed a BOWP. My agent again submitted all documents related to PR in the webform and paid the fees for BOWP fees ( explanation is given that I filed PR and now eligible for BOWP). no response till 1 week, one more web form ... again waiting. Time passed, & I passed medicals and given biometrics and then I received a rejection on Jan 21st, 2021 on my work permit stating that I am not eligible for BOWP and I haven't applied for PR and I don't reside in Canada ( clearly they didn't check the 2 web forms sent by us). PS: My PR application is 21% complete to date.
Sent a reconsideration request to look into my case for BOWP and waiting, sitting at home idle and praying to god.
And my question after this Katha, can I apply for the new PGWP for 18th months as I fit in that criteria of new rules ?? any help, comments, insights are welcome. I am already in the early stages of becoming a female Devdas. I am just trying to be fun. please help.

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
I hope we get to renew our sin number as soon as possible.
I was on work permit until dec 2020 and shifted to visitor record. To be able to get the renew the sin, i guess i will need to get the new work permit right and being on implied status wont work for sin renewal?
Had to wait for my work permit and book an appointment with Service Canada to renew my SIN. You have the option to renew it online as well,however, booking with Service Canada is faster.

Reactions: CripplingYogi194

CripplingYogi194

Jul 29, 2018
Had to wait for my work permit and book an appointment with Service Canada to renew my SIN. You have the option to renew it online as well,however, booking with Service Canada is faster.
Yes was thinking the same. hope there is something with the new policy that you can renew without having to wait for it to complete

bartemiousdjini

Apr 15, 2019
It's Jan 27th! Does anyone see the instructions online on IRCC website anywhere? I've been looking but maybe I'm looking at the wrong pages...