+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question 10b - Were you in another country for a total of 183 days?

nyctomtl

Star Member
Nov 10, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11 August 2015
Doc's Request.
11 January 2016 CSQ
AOR Received.
16 September 2015
File Transfer...
07 October 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06 August 2015
Passport Req..
Decision Made 5 Feb 2016
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 8 Feb 2016
LANDED..........
20 Feb 2016
Does anyone know how to treat partial days as it relates to this question? The Physical Presence Calculator very clearly counts the day one leaves and the day one arrives in Canada as a day in Canada for Physical Presence Purposes. Question 10b is phrased a little difference ass it asks were you in another country for a total of 183 days or more.

Said another way, the Physical Presence calculator would consider a day in which a person took a day trip to the US as a "Day in Canada" but it seems that question 10b would consider that day as a "Day in another Country".

Any guidance? I frequently make day trips to us (50 or so over the four year period) so my day counts would be very different under the two methods. If I include the partial days as days outside of Canada, I would be over 183 days and would need a police certificate.

Thanks.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
While I don't know what the official policy is regarding this, you may want to be on the safe side and ask for the PCC.

It would make sense for at least the following reasons :
Any day spent in part in a country is a day a person can commit a crime there.
That day would be counted as a presence day in a, hypothetic "Physical presence calculator in the other country" following the exact same logic as the presence calculator in Canada.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Does anyone know how to treat partial days as it relates to this question? The Physical Presence Calculator very clearly counts the day one leaves and the day one arrives in Canada as a day in Canada for Physical Presence Purposes. Question 10b is phrased a little difference ass it asks were you in another country for a total of 183 days or more.

Said another way, the Physical Presence calculator would consider a day in which a person took a day trip to the US as a "Day in Canada" but it seems that question 10b would consider that day as a "Day in another Country".

Any guidance? I frequently make day trips to us (50 or so over the four year period) so my day counts would be very different under the two methods. If I include the partial days as days outside of Canada, I would be over 183 days and would need a police certificate.

Thanks.
Concur with @Seym's response.

Canada considers a part of a day in a country as a day in that country, as you observe yourself, IRCC recognizing part of a day in Canada is a day in Canada. Why would Canada approach such questions differently for other countries? (Confusion about this tends to derive from concluding that a day which does not count as a day absent from Canada should not count as a day in another country. But again as you observe, the issue is not about days absent but days present.)

Note: It is not as if the 183 days per four years triggers a qualifying requirement. It triggers what IRCC requires to make an application. It is administrative criteria not qualifying criteria. Which means IRCC can be and, per various reports often appears to be, somewhat flexible or lenient in how it approaches this. The other side of this coin, however, is that IRCC can request a police clearance for a country even if the applicant was present in that country way less than a total of 183 days. Which is to say, again, I concur with @Seym's response, check "yes" for item 10.b and get the U.S. clearance. That said, in your situation it is not likely IRCC would consider a "no" response to be misrepresentation, so the only risk for checking "no" is being required to provide the U.S. clearance later in the process, perhaps resulting in some processing timeline delay.

but that 183 days is per year. were you travelling so much that you were in US for more than 6 months?
No. That is NOT correct.

For purposes of item 10b. in the citizenship application, it is 183 days total over the course of FOUR years, not just one year. The item is clear. Click on the help button and look at the guide where very clear examples are given.

nyctomtl

Star Member
Nov 10, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11 August 2015
Doc's Request.
11 January 2016 CSQ
AOR Received.
16 September 2015
File Transfer...
07 October 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06 August 2015
Passport Req..
Decision Made 5 Feb 2016
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 8 Feb 2016
LANDED..........
20 Feb 2016
but that 183 days is per year. were you travelling so much that you were in US for more than 6 months?
No the 183+ days was over the four year period.