+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query Dependent Child Sponsorship

aceofclub10

Nov 12, 2018
My parents made inland refugee claim in Canada in 2018.Their hearing is not scheduled yet.

After 24oct2017 the age of dependent is 22.

1)Now my Query is that the age of dependent child is locked in when they enter Canada and made their refugee claim? Because i have heard that refugees dependent age is locked in at the day at which they first made claim.

2)If my age is locked in at 21 so its not necessary to be a full time student if I immigrate after 22 years of age?

3)so basically am i eligible?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
My parents made inland refugee claim in Canada in 2018.Their hearing is not scheduled yet.

After 24oct2017 the age of dependent is 22.

1)Now my Query is that the age of dependent child is locked in when they enter Canada and made their refugee claim? Because i have heard that refugees dependent age is locked in at the day at which they first made claim.

2)If my age is locked in at 21 so its not necessary to be a full time student if I immigrate after 22 years of age?

3)so basically am i eligible?
The age lock-in is normally when IRCC receives an immigration application of any sort. I assume that to be the case for refugees as well.
The old definitions of a dependent child have changed. Please refer to the new definitions, which no longer consider student status as a factor.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/age-limit-requirements-dependent-children.html

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/glossary.asp#dependent_child

Last edited:
Reactions: aceofclub10

aceofclub10

Nov 12, 2018
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/age-limit-requirements-dependent-children.html

on the following link it states that for protected person i.e

Protected Persons (In-Canada Refugee Claimants)
The date we (IRCC) or the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) receive your complete refugee claim

so that basically means when they enter Canada through Canada–United States Safe Third Country Agreement and made an inland claim at that day my age was locked in?

The age lock-in is normally when IRCC receives an immigration application of any sort. I assume that to be the case for refugees as well.
The old definitions of a dependent child have changed. Please refer to the new definitions, which no longer consider student status as a factor.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

The date we (IRCC) or the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) receive your complete refugee claim

so that basically means when they enter Canada through Canada–United States Safe Third Country Agreement and made an inland claim at that day my age was locked in?
I believe so, if that was the date of the formal application and submission of the "complete refugee claim".

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

It's most likely not the day the entered Canada since they would not have submitted the complete application package on that day but simply stated they are claiming asylum. You need to find out on what day they submitted their complete application package including all forms, evidence, etc. That is the lock in date.

Here's the definition of a complete application:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=072&top=3

aceofclub10

Nov 12, 2018
It's most likely not the day the entered Canada since they would not have submitted the complete application package on that day but simply stated they are claiming asylum. You need to find out on what day they submitted their complete application package including all forms, evidence, etc. That is the lock in date.

Here's the definition of a complete application:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=072&top=3
yeah they have submitted complete application package when my age was 21.
The second query was about full time student as my age is locked in do i have to show them i am continuous student?as i know they have exempt this scenario.

In schedule A form you have to share history of past 10 year.

I have a gap of 6 months almost in my studies

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
The second query was about full time student as my age is locked in do i have to show them i am continuous student?as i know they have exempt this scenario.

As I said before, at https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/query-dependent-child-sponsorship.594617/#post-7367363 being a student is no longer a factor in determining whether a child is a dependent or not.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

No need to stay in school in that case.

However you cannot get married or live with anyone to become common law. You must remain single.

aceofclub10

Nov 12, 2018
@scylla one last question, I am confused about it if you can clarify about "complete refugee claim"? I think so that they have submitted if you can please explain.

The situation is my parents has made their refugee claim already but hearing has been rescheduled on a further date, so what basically complete refugee claim means i.e when they have submitted application for refugee claim or it is when their refugee claim is passed?

I want to know about my dependency when they maid claim and submitted refugee claim application I was less than 22 and now if their refugee claim pass i will be above 22.According to lock in date procedures my age is locked in as under 22?

No need to stay in school in that case.

However you cannot get married or live with anyone to become common law. You must remain single.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.