+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query about Indian PCC from Indian Embassy USA

CanadaPR_455

Apr 6, 2018
In the Personal Perticulars Form, Question 8a. asks for "present address with police station" and question 8b. asks for "permanent address with police station". As per your previous answer, question 8a. should be my current US address and question 8b. should be my India address where my parents live (which is currently different from the address mentioned on the passport).

But Question 9 states, if passport applicant has not been residing at the at the present address given in question 8a. continuously for last 1 year, other addresses where he/she has resided in the last one year to be provided in 9a and/or 9b.

So basically, I need to provide my last US address where I was residing in section 9a. before moving to my current address right?

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
In the Personal Perticulars Form, Question 8a. asks for "present address with police station" and question 8b. asks for "permanent address with police station". As per your previous answer, question 8a. should be my current US address and question 8b. should be my India address where my parents live (which is currently different from the address mentioned on the passport).

But Question 9 states, if passport applicant has not been residing at the at the present address given in question 8a. continuously for last 1 year, other addresses where he/she has resided in the last one year to be provided in 9a and/or 9b.

So basically, I need to provide my last US address where I was residing in section 9a. before moving to my current address right?
Yes you can provide that. Honestly the USA address do not matter but you can provide previous USA address. The Indian PCC will be done based on Indian address only. Also no need to fill out the police station information.

CanadaPR_455

Apr 6, 2018
Can't thank you enough for clarifying all these.

Sorry to bother you with just one last question. In the Personal Particulars Form, there are few more fields like "Application File No.", "Service Type (Fresh/Reissue)", "Passport Issuing Office", "Police verification for the period of stay from ___ to ___". It looks like it should be filled by the embassy officials. What is your inputs? Also is there a specific size for the photo that I need to attach in this form.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Can't thank you enough for clarifying all these.

Sorry to bother you with just one last question. In the Personal Particulars Form, there are few more fields like "Application File No.", "Service Type (Fresh/Reissue)", "Passport Issuing Office", "Police verification for the period of stay from ___ to ___". It looks like it should be filled by the embassy officials. What is your inputs? Also is there a specific size for the photo that I need to attach in this form.
Not a problem. So actually this form is common for a passport application and PCC. Those fields are used for a passport application. So leave those blank. I used a 2 by 2 photo which is a general passport photo format in USA.

CanadaPR_455

Apr 6, 2018
Hi canasha,

I have a quick question, I am planning to travel to Chicago tomorrow for my PCC, I am trying to make a return label, but it says, I need to put a return date which I don't know. I mean, Chicago embassy will return my passport and PCC once they receive it right?

So I am not sure how to get the return label from FedEx, as they are asking for a return date that they need to put on the label.

Can you please guide me in this. I have all my documents ready but I don't have the return label yet.

TIA

abhi999921

Dec 9, 2014
Hi karthik2479,

Based on my personal experience getting the Indian PCC from an Indian Consulate in the US, generally, if you have a passport that is valid, they do not require any other Indian Address proof.

It was a pretty short affair for us when me and my spouse got ours from Chicago, in person. You have to be there with all required documents before noon.
  • Copy of the passport notarized at a local UPS
  • Copy of US drivers license notarized at local UPS
  • Copy of legal status document issued by USA (for an H1-B visa that is the I-797, for F1 visas, the I-20, or EAD card, OR Greencard OR copy of I-140 if green card pending) notarized
  • Application form for miscellaneous services (downloadable at consulate website)
  • A letter addressed to the consulate requesting for issuance police clearance certificate
  • A Demand Draft or Money Order (Chicago did not take cash or Credit cards) of $28 per PCC (edited, $28 per PCC not 20)
They will take the above AND your passport and give you a counterfoil and ask you to come back between 3.30PM & 5PM WITH the counterfoil

At the en, you will get a paper document issued by the Counsulate General as well as your passport with a stamp stating that PCC was issued

-S.
Hi,

Thanks for the above information. It was really helpful.

I just want to confirm if the fees is 27$ or 28$ as you have mentioned 28$ here and on the Indian consulate website for chicago (http://www.cgichicago.gov.in/page/display/86) it is mentioned as $27.

I am asking this just because I don't want to get wrong dollar value money order and repeat my visit to the consulate.
The phone number given online for the consulate also does not work, as it goes in infinite loop and no one picks it up.

Regards,
Abhishek

abhi999921

Dec 9, 2014
Hi canasha,

I have a quick question, I am planning to travel to Chicago tomorrow for my PCC, I am trying to make a return label, but it says, I need to put a return date which I don't know. I mean, Chicago embassy will return my passport and PCC once they receive it right?

So I am not sure how to get the return label from FedEx, as they are asking for a return date that they need to put on the label.

TIA
I can guide on this. Fedex asks for a return date and you can give today's date as well. When the consulate gets your return label, they can return your package whenever they want. That date does not impact it. It happened with my for some other consulate in New York. I just gave the current date.

Just one question to you as well, for haw many dollars did you make the money order and how was your experience at Chicago Consulate office. I am planning to go tomorrow.

Regards,
Abhishek

Last edited:

advocatematch

May 22, 2017
I have had varying experiences in this regard. Some of my clients who had passports issued in India had to go through a police verification back in India and some didnt... seems their is no set parameter and thats disturbing. However, for those who have passports issued abroad, it should not be an issue. I guess it is based on the premise that if an Indian national gets involved in a crime abroad, the law enforcement agencies will at some point inform the Embassy/Consulate in this regard.

hemaketineni

Aug 20, 2018
Hi,

I am planning to apply for PCC in Chicago but Chicago Embassy has another "Personal Perticulars Form" apart from the "Application form". What is this Personal Particular form is about? In the Personal Perticulars Form, I need to provide "Application file number", "present and permanent address with police station", "References" etc. I am not aware of all these fields like, I don't know what to fill in application number, whether the present & permanent address would be my Indian address and can my parents name be put as my references.

It will be really helpful if someone can share a sample format of this form like you shared the other forms. Also in Chicago Embassy website, the return mailing fee amount is not mentioned. I was trying to call them couple of times, but no one picked my call. Can someone please guide me on this or share their experience.

I live around 8 hours from Chicago, but still want to go in person and submit because, I am really confused about the addresses that I need to fill in this form.

Thanks in advance.
HI,
what did you provide for the application file number on personal particular form. Please let me know

Thank you
Hema

seahawk789

Sep 18, 2018
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and I was hoping if somebody could please clarify my doubts regarding issuance of Indian Police clearance certificate from Houston Embassy.

1. As the embassy is 4 hrs drive from my place, I thought of visiting in person. But if my current passport is issued in India, will I be still getting the document on the same day? or will they hold my original passport and send it later along with the clearance certificate? I am just trying to understand if I visit in person, can I atleast take back the original passport with me on the same day (Police clearance form may be sent later too).

2. My Indian address in the passport is valid, however currently nobody is staying in that house. Will police be visiting the Indian address in passport for issuing a Police Clearance certificate ? (Also in the Houston embassy "Misc Form to request PCC" there is only 1 address field to fill in the permanent address in India, could not find any slot to fill in alternate address).

3. My H1B visa is going to expire in next 4 months and extension is yet to be filed. If I visit the embassy with the current valid visa (Expiring in 4 months) will they still issue a police clearance certificate ? or do they have any minimum requirement that the visa should be valid for atleast 6 months or something ?

Appreciate you help in advance.

Thanks,
Prem

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and I was hoping if somebody could please clarify my doubts regarding issuance of Indian Police clearance certificate from Houston Embassy.

1. As the embassy is 4 hrs drive from my place, I thought of visiting in person. But if my current passport is issued in India, will I be still getting the document on the same day? or will they hold my original passport and send it later along with the clearance certificate? I am just trying to understand if I visit in person, can I atleast take back the original passport with me on the same day (Police clearance form may be sent later too).

2. My Indian address in the passport is valid, however currently nobody is staying in that house. Will police be visiting the Indian address in passport for issuing a Police Clearance certificate ? (Also in the Houston embassy "Misc Form to request PCC" there is only 1 address field to fill in the permanent address in India, could not find any slot to fill in alternate address).

3. My H1B visa is going to expire in next 4 months and extension is yet to be filed. If I visit the embassy with the current valid visa (Expiring in 4 months) will they still issue a police clearance certificate ? or do they have any minimum requirement that the visa should be valid for atleast 6 months or something ?

Appreciate you help in advance.

Thanks,
Prem
I did not do process in Houston but I think process may be similar everywhere.

1. Yes consulate will return the passport to you. You can still get the PCC same day. It has nothing to do with where the passport was issued. It all depends on whether your PCC details are in the "System' or not. I have no clue what they mean by System. My PCC was referred to India although passport was issued in USA. My wife got PCC in one day although passport was not issued in USA.

2. In case your PCC is referred to India Police may visit the address you mention on the form.

3. No such requirement.

Reactions: seahawk789

seahawk789

Sep 18, 2018
I did not do process in Houston but I think process may be similar everywhere.

1. Yes consulate will return the passport to you. You can still get the PCC same day. It has nothing to do with where the passport was issued. It all depends on whether your PCC details are in the "System' or not. I have no clue what they mean by System. My PCC was referred to India although passport was issued in USA. My wife got PCC in one day although passport was not issued in USA.

2. In case your PCC is referred to India Police may visit the address you mention on the form.

3. No such requirement.
Great. Thank you so much for the prompt response. Appreciate it.

Sep 21, 2018
Hi karthik2479,

Based on my personal experience getting the Indian PCC from an Indian Consulate in the US, generally, if you have a passport that is valid, they do not require any other Indian Address proof.

It was a pretty short affair for us when me and my spouse got ours from Chicago, in person. You have to be there with all required documents before noon.
  • Copy of the passport notarized at a local UPS
  • Copy of US drivers license notarized at local UPS
  • Copy of legal status document issued by USA (for an H1-B visa that is the I-797, for F1 visas, the I-20, or EAD card, OR Greencard OR copy of I-140 if green card pending) notarized
  • Application form for miscellaneous services (downloadable at consulate website)
  • A letter addressed to the consulate requesting for issuance police clearance certificate
  • A Demand Draft or Money Order (Chicago did not take cash or Credit cards) of $28 per PCC (edited, $28 per PCC not 20)
They will take the above AND your passport and give you a counterfoil and ask you to come back between 3.30PM & 5PM WITH the counterfoil

At the en, you will get a paper document issued by the Counsulate General as well as your passport with a stamp stating that PCC was issued

-S.
Hi systix,

Just to be sure, the UPS you were referring to is the United Parcel Service, correct?

Regards,
AJ

rdesai

Aug 30, 2018
USA
Hello Everyone,

I am in a tough situation.
I am currently residing in the US, and I visited the Indian Embassy in Washington DC to get my Indian PCC. They told me that they did not have my data in their system and asked me to fill Performa for verification of nationality status/antecedents form. Moreover, they said it would 30 days to get the certificate as they will send my details to Police station in India where I live and get verification from there.

I thought of getting a PCC from India itself as I can get it from Indian Police station, at my Indian address, faster.

Would a PCC from India work or does it needs to be from Indian Embassy from US as I reside out of India.

PS - My deadline to submit documents is November 5 and I do not know if Indian Embassy would provide the PCC by that time.

Thanks

Last edited: