+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec Skilled Worker Federal Stage (After CSQ)

almost_pr

Star Member
Nov 9, 2018
to limit or change the process in which permanent residents are allowed inside Quebec
If you read the actual accord, it says Quebec controls the selection of candidates (CSQ), whereas Canada controls the admission process (PR).

Your link says the same thing: Quebec controls only the skilled worker program, and it can limit the amount of people coming to Quebec only through CSQ process. It has no control over the process of admission of PRs, in other words, once you have a CSQ, you might be delayed by the intake quotas. But unless there is any other reason why you are inadmissible, you will become PR.

"Canada shall admit any immigrant destined to Québec who meets Québec’s selection criteria, if the immigrant is not in an inadmissible class under the law of Canada.

Through bill 9, Quebec cannot influence the rules of admission of PRs into Canada. There will be no language test for CSQ holders, or permanent residents in Quebec. Is there any "buzz" about renegotiating the accord? I haven't heard it. And even if, nobody knows what will be renegotiated, so there is no need to raise fears unnecessarily.

BTW, you live and work in Quebec. If you plan to move out of Quebec becoming a PR, then go for express entry, but then you actually have to leave Quebec and live somewhere else eventually. If not, sit tight (and learn some french). That would be my two cents.

Reactions: ertarun

almost_pr

Star Member
Nov 9, 2018
This link says that csq holders before August 2018 will not be affected by bil 9.
NO IT DOES NOT SAY THAT

"If an immigrant is currently working with a temporary work permit and has applied to the regular skilled worker program before August 2, 2018, we will be processing their case," he added.

This means that CSQ applicants, not CSQ holders will be processed / affected. Do you get the difference?

almost_pr

Star Member
Nov 9, 2018
they are hanging applicant's applied in September 2017 and giving decisions on December 2017 applicants ??
Here are some reasons:
  • Some cases are more complicated than others.
  • Some immigration workers work slower than other.
  • The guy assigned to your case got sick.
  • They are requesting information from the university where you studied in {country] and it takes a long time to get this information.
  • You have a spouse and/or children.
Seriously does tF is going on? i cannot imagine what's going through all those 18000 applicants whose files just disappeared overnight.
Again, you're mixing up the issues. This delay of PR awards due to Quebec intake quota has nothing to do with the 18,000 CSQ applications (out of which 12-13 thousand will get thrown out)
My work permit expiring in January are they going to make me go through all the hassle of apply work permit make additional payment ?
If you don't get permanent residence by then, yes.
Can anything be done against it really ?
Nothing, really.

mkm221

Star Member
Jun 12, 2018
If you read the actual accord, it says Quebec controls the selection of candidates (CSQ), whereas Canada controls the admission process (PR).

Your link says the same thing: Quebec controls only the skilled worker program, and it can limit the amount of people coming to Quebec only through CSQ process. It has no control over the process of admission of PRs, in other words, once you have a CSQ, you might be delayed by the intake quotas. But unless there is any other reason why you are inadmissible, you will become PR.

"Canada shall admit any immigrant destined to Québec who meets Québec’s selection criteria, if the immigrant is not in an inadmissible class under the law of Canada.

Through bill 9, Quebec cannot influence the rules of admission of PRs into Canada. There will be no language test for CSQ holders, or permanent residents in Quebec. Is there any "buzz" about renegotiating the accord? I haven't heard it. And even if, nobody knows what will be renegotiated, so there is no need to raise fears unnecessarily.

BTW, you live and work in Quebec. If you plan to move out of Quebec becoming a PR, then go for express entry, but then you actually have to leave Quebec and live somewhere else eventually. If not, sit tight (and learn some french). That would be my two cents.
I think u can only apply to express entry (eg in ontario) after working 1 year in that province. U can not just leave quebec and go apply at other provinces.

Firewall38

Mar 29, 2019
If Quebec wants to limit the number of immigrant per year, they should do so at the provincial stage. However, in the federal stage, we should be treated fairly by the immigration officers regarding of where we apply to/from... that means, if it takes 6 months for some in the federal stage, it should also take 6 months for QSW applicants... I know/knew it's not like that, but I'm getting frustrated as the processing time is being extended :(

Canadadreams...

Jun 15, 2019
Chambers of commerce welcome bill

The federation that represents chambers of commerce in Quebec says it is welcoming the news that the bill was passed.

Now it wants the government to act quickly to ensure the measures to recruit immigrants are put in place quickly.

Positively cynical

Jun 7, 2019
I have no idea how I missed this piece from Le Devoir from February 2019, also shared a few posts up: https://www.ledevoir.com/politique/quebec/548692/immigration-une-promesse-irrealiste#

For the non-French speakers, I won’t lie folks, things look pretty grim...

Do you remember that the new government (CAQ) said back in December (2018) that they’d cap the number of new PRs to 40k instead of 50k? well, they’re actually acting on that promise and VERY UNFUCKING-FORTUNATELY the only program that Quebec has total control over is the Quebec Skilled Worker program. According to that article, there are 41,200 applications in the QSW program this year and the Quebec government has asked the Federal government to stop at 24,300 applications in 2019 which would leave 16,900 applications in limbo (or waiting for 2020 to reset the count).

This makes a lot more sense than blaming the applications reviewers (not excusing anyone I’m as pissed as all of you guys), but this is again the old tale of the politicians playing political chess with peoples lives. If they had no shame or qualms in obliterating 18,000 CSQ applications why would they stop to think about 16,900 applications in the federal step if by screwing us and making us wait 6-7 more months they keep their political base (white baby boomers) happy!?

I don’t know about you, but even when this is making me furious, at least is some sort of explanation to the unbearable wait without any news.

Sorry for the extensive post but I thought it could offer some solace.

There are worse things in life for sure, but this does feel very much like a hard kick in the ass by a bunch of nationalist (closeted racists?) ouch!

ncat99

Jan 22, 2019
According to Canada Quebec accord, the Quebec govt must inform Feds each year about the intake quotas. If the CAQ govt has informed the Feds that they need only X intake in 2019, that number will be present in Canada Quebec accord.

We will have to get this exact number out of their asses somehow. I think if we file Access To Information Act, asking the Fed about this particular X number in 2019, it will clear the confusion and will bring out what the CAQ idiots been upto.

Below is some data of Quebec PRs from the Annual Immigration Reports. Now if we can get the latest intake quota by filing Access To Information, we can get conclusive information.

Permanent Residents Admitted in 2017
Skilled Workers: 24,862
Total: 52,388 (all categories)

Source:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/annual-report-parliament-immigration-2018/permanent-residents-admitted-destination.html

Permanent Residents Admitted in 2016
Skilled Workers: 25,858
Total: 53,238 (all categories)

Source:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/annual-report-parliament-immigration-2017.html#section3

Permanent Residents Admitted in 2015
Skilled Workers: 23,370
Total: 48,962 (all categories)

Source:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/annual-report-parliament-immigration-2016.html#s3

Relevant parts of Canada Quebec accord :

https://lop.parl.ca/sites/PublicWebsite/default/en_CA/ResearchPublications/201189E

Canada remains responsible for establishing levels of immigration annually, taking into account Quebec's advice on the number of immigrants that it wants to receive. For the first time, a formal timetable for consultation was set out in the Accord whereby Canada informs Quebec by 30 April of each year of the options being considered with respect to future immigration levels, broken down into the various immigration classes.6 Quebec, in turn, informs Canada before 30 June of the number of immigrants it wishes to receive in the coming year or years, also broken down into classes.7 Following this process, the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act requires the federal minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship to table an annual report in each House of Parliament by 1 November of each year, if Parliament is then sitting, or otherwise within 30 days of the resumption of sitting by either House. This report contains details of immigration levels for the coming year.

Last edited:

rickdecakrd

Feb 26, 2018
Hi Guys,

I'm on my 14th month of processing and still under the stage "We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.". Is this normal??

Reactions: Seema22

Canadadreams...

Jun 15, 2019

almost_pr

Star Member
Nov 9, 2018
Hi Guys,

I'm on my 14th month of processing and still under the stage "We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.". Is this normal??
Completely "normal". It was like this for me even a few days after I received the confirmation of permanent residence papers in the mail.

Reactions: rickdecakrd