+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quarantine rules for immigrants

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Any idea until when this 3-day hotel quarantine is going to last. I received COPR last month and have plans to move by May. I did read earlier that it might be until 30th April but you never know.

Also, if I move and don't do a soft landing, I would have quit my job. There must be provisions for such cases such as people landing first time without a job in hand or facing a financial crunch. I also heard that students might get an exemption too. Any thoughts or information around this?
Where did you hear that students are getting exemptions? If they allow new immigrants and students to be exempted then they have to allow all Canadians as they are entering their own country.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Any idea until when this 3-day hotel quarantine is going to last. I received COPR last month and have plans to move by May. I did read earlier that it might be until 30th April but you never know.

Also, if I move and don't do a soft landing, I would have quit my job. There must be provisions for such cases such as people landing first time without a job in hand or facing a financial crunch. I also heard that students might get an exemption too. Any thoughts or information around this?
Nobody can tell you how long it will last, I think it will be in effect for quite a while. You can't do a soft landing either, what some people have done, even though it is discouraged, is come to Canada, do the landing, stay for 15 days and then goes home. which completes the quarantine requirement. It will cost you lots of $$ with the $2k per person for the hotel added in.

Wiggy

Dec 16, 2020
If you want to move to Canada during a pandemic you have to adhere to the quarantine rules. you can't just opt out because you don't fancy being stuck indoors or it is inconvenient.

I'm hoping to move over fairly soon and whilst I don't really want to be paying $2000 and being locked up for a few days, I will do it as that is what I need to do.

Reactions: YVR123

Seanmagaway

Star Member
Oct 24, 2019
H
Hi I’m traveling next day too, no quarantine at hotel is asked until now. Please let me know if you find out something new. Thank you and good luck!
(were you issued the COPR after March 2020 too ?)
[/QUO

How about you is it issued after march?

AkkiV

Star Member
Dec 3, 2017
After Feb 22 your self booked hotel to quarantine is no good, You have to use one designated by the Federal gov't. As mentioned you can book starting on Feb 18. The estimated $2,000 is per person, has to be booked and paid in advance or you will not be allowed on the airplane.
The $2,000 per person doesn't make any sense at all if two people are staying in the same room.

Reactions: mashulia_26

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
The $2,000 per person doesn't make any sense at all if two people are staying in the same room.
I would tend to agree with you but I am not the one making the rules. From what I have seen it's $2k per person, maybe they assume it will only be 1 person traveling??

Reactions: AkkiV

tham_son

Sep 8, 2013

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

Government of Canada expands restrictions to international travel by land and air - Canada.ca

Do you know any exempted cases for these restrictions? I'm a PR Family Reunification, will arrive in Canada in March 2021. I will first arrive at Toronto Airport to transit to Montreal Airport on the same day. In this case, I will be quarantined in Toronto or Montreal? Which city should I input in the ArriveCAN application?

Thank you.
You need to book your quarantine hotel in Toronto. If your results are negative and if your quarantine plan is deemed acceptable you'll be able to fly to Montreal and quarantine. If you test positive you will be forced to remain in Toronto until you are negative in a federally run facility.

tham_son

Sep 8, 2013
You need to book your quarantine hotel in Toronto. If your results are negative and if your quarantine plan is deemed acceptable you'll be able to fly to Montreal and quarantine. If you test positive you will be forced to remain in Toronto until you are negative in a federally run facility.
Thank you for your reply.

When I bought a one-way ticket here (3 flights), it includes a flight from Toronto to Montreal. It means I have to cancel that flight and need to buy a new ticket after 3-day quarantine.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your reply.

When I bought a one-way ticket here (3 flights), it includes a flight from Toronto to Montreal. It means I have to cancel that flight and need to buy a new ticket after 3-day quarantine.
You will need to change the time for the Toronto to Montreal leg (hopefully for free). I would contact the airline. Would suggest booking later on in the day so you will be sure to have your results versus a morning flight.

Reactions: tham_son

Sreebhat

Dec 20, 2020
I'm wondering what would happen when you travel with family (spouse and 1-2 kids) and one person turns out to be positive (could even be a "false" positive). Will they move the one who tested positive to the govt quarantine center and allow the rest to quarantine at the place of their choice ? There is no clarity of such kind of scenarios :-(

Wiggy

Dec 16, 2020
I'm wondering what would happen when you travel with family (spouse and 1-2 kids) and one person turns out to be positive (could even be a "false" positive). Will they move the one who tested positive to the govt quarantine center and allow the rest to quarantine at the place of their choice ? There is no clarity of such kind of scenarios :-(
I doubt it.
If the person who tests positive has been in close proximity to the others (and it is impossible to not do that in a small hotel room), then they would probably have to be "detained" longer until there is proof that they didn't contract it.

Sreebhat

Dec 20, 2020
I doubt it.
If the person who tests positive has been in close proximity to the others (and it is impossible to not do that in a small hotel room), then they would probably have to be "detained" longer until there is proof that they didn't contract it.
Thank you ! Yeah..I get that...what if the husband tests positive while the wife and kids are negative ? Will the entire family be allowed to quarantine together, while the husband continues to be in isolation ? Imagine husband being moved to a government quarantine center and the wife and kids continue to stay at the hotel...I wonder how they would handle such a situation..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you ! Yeah..I get that...what if the husband tests positive while the wife and kids are negative ? Will the entire family be allowed to quarantine together, while the husband continues to be in isolation ? Imagine husband being moved to a government quarantine center and the wife and kids continue to stay at the hotel...I wonder how they would handle such a situation..
Would imagine the whole family would be moved to the government isolation facilities and the father would be separated for the wife and children. All will be required to reman for 14 days or until negative or deemed not contagious.