+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pulmonary Tuberculosis(Active/Inactive)-History,Sputum Tests,6 mos medication...

PTB

Jun 3, 2013
rmatienzo_13 said:
In respect to this topic, I had primary Complex when I was I think 4 or 5,I underwent medication for 6 months. However, in my chest xrays, it left a scar and in the findings it would always say, mycobacterium tuberculae probably healed/inactive. I am a nurse, 4 yrs ago I took the 6 mos therapy for TB to protect myself bec I am exposed to patients who has it too.

My question is, what do you think is best to do. Would you suggest that I go to my Pulmonologist, have xrays done, sputum and culture test done now to ensure copies that I am cleared? Well, it is not that we are already on the CIC stage. We just submitted our online application few days ago. Any advice that will help us please. Thank you
Hello :)

For now, just keep your xray films and bring it with you when the time comes for your medical exam.

A month after you submitted your visa application to CIO, you may also do pre medical exams like blood tests (CBC, blood chem) and chest xray. Once you have the chest xray result, bring it to your pulmo dr and request for medical certificate stating the diagnosis, inclusive dates of treatment, dosage frequency and duration of the medication taken, prognosis.....

If you wish, you may also do sputum tests before your medical exam but only the result from the accredited clinics will be recognized by the embassy. It is the SOP of the clinics to do sputum tests when there is abnormal finding in the xray of the client. Though I read few cases that they were not asked but it is the clinic and the embassy's discretion.

Toyang

Sep 11, 2012
Hi ptb,
Just would like to inquire your timeline after all your re tests has been accomplished? How long have you waited before the embassy issued your visa? Thanks a lot :)

rmatienzo_13

Star Member
Aug 5, 2013
Pampanga
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
Doc's Request.
waiting
Nomination.....
hopeful
IELTS Request
sent with the application
VISA ISSUED...
God be the Glory
LANDED..........
can't wait...
hi again PTB, do u know any clinics that is accredited by the Canadian Embassy. will it help if I instead do all the tests there. I think I am doing it I might as well do it on the accredited ones. or they can only disclose those clinics when u receive the advice for medical exams?

rrn

Aug 20, 2013
PTB said:
Not much thread are made specifically for this topic.

To all individuals or families who can relate to this topic, please let us all gather here and share our views, experiences to help one another. It will somehow ease the worries of applicants having medical furtherance because of suspected, active, inactive Pulmonary Tuberculosis.

I'll start with my husband's case. He has PTB history few years back with only 2 months continuous anti PTB medication treatment. He was asked by his private pulmo doctor to discontinue it due to severe allergic reaction. The physician monitored his chext xray for 4 months, repeat every 2 mos with same findings, meaning it is stable. No further follow up done until late last year when we visited his pulmo doctor and asked to provide him a medical certificate. We have shown him as well a two-day old chest xray film but my husband was not asked to re-start the medication treatment.

We received our MR early this year, as expected, he was required to undergo sputum tests and repeat chest xray 3 mos after the initial. After 3 months, results came out with the following findings:
SPUTUM SMEAR - Negative
SPUTUM CULTURE - Negative
REPEAT CHEST XRAY - no changes, stable

He is considered to have an inactive pulmonary tuberculosis according to the pulmo doctor (DMP) and said the embassy will decide if he still needs to undergo the 6 months medication treatment.

Anyone of you who have the same case as my husband's? Do you think he will be asked to take the medication treatment having the above findings.

Thanks in advance.
Hi. Thanks for starting this thread. Early this year, I had my medical exam because of my application bound to UAE. Unfortunately, I was unfit to work due to my chest X-ray finding which is calcified granuloma, left base. I was surprised because I usually had my annual physicAl exam and readings were actually clear. I consulted a pulmo doctor and he asked me to retrieve all my chest X-rays and we found out that the granuloma wAs already there prior to the start of my hospital career (April 2010).. My doctor told me it was a scar and I probably had it 2 years ago(2008)... He also told me that no treatment was needed since it is already a scar and I am not contagious.. He gave me a certification that I am fit to work and live in Canada. I am a but worried because my parents will provide me all the financial assistance so that I can pursue my dreams in Canada.. I would like to ask if there is a chance for me to really live (permanent resident) and work ( I am a nurse) in Quebec, Canada..

Is there a doctor accredited by the Canadian embassy who can assure me that I can live and work in Canada? I want to have an assurance that I am medically fit before I process my papers in the embassy.. I really need your advice And opinion.. Thank you very much! God bless. P.S. I am a nurse in the Philippines..

rmatienzo_13

Star Member
Aug 5, 2013
Pampanga
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
Doc's Request.
waiting
Nomination.....
hopeful
IELTS Request
VISA ISSUED...
God be the Glory
LANDED..........
can't wait...
rrn said:
Hi. Thanks for starting this thread. Early this year, I had my medical exam because of my application bound to UAE. Unfortunately, I was unfit to work due to my chest X-ray finding which is calcified granuloma, left base. I was surprised because I usually had my annual physicAl exam and readings were actually clear. I consulted a pulmo doctor and he asked me to retrieve all my chest X-rays and we found out that the granuloma wAs already there prior to the start of my hospital career (April 2010).. My doctor told me it was a scar and I probably had it 2 years ago(2008)... He also told me that no treatment was needed since it is already a scar and I am not contagious.. He gave me a certification that I am fit to work and live in Canada. I am a but worried because my parents will provide me all the financial assistance so that I can pursue my dreams in Canada.. I would like to ask if there is a chance for me to really live (permanent resident) and work ( I am a nurse) in Quebec, Canada..

Is there a doctor accredited by the Canadian embassy who can assure me that I can live and work in Canada? I want to have an assurance that I am medically fit before I process my papers in the embassy.. I really need your advice And opinion.. Thank you very much! God bless. P.S. I am a nurse in the Philippines..

hi rrn, i am so glad to have read your post. we are of the same situation. exactly the same. I am worried too. As for UAE, that is the reason why I too didn't push through with my application in Dubai. any countries that is part of GCC will reject persons with fibrosis. I also want to apply in Canada, this holds me back. I guess there is no assurance. I have asked this myself 2years ago.

rrn

Aug 20, 2013
rmatienzo_13 said:
hi rrn, i am so glad to have read your post. we are of the same situation. exactly the same. I am worried too. As for UAE, that is the reason why I too didn't push through with my application in Dubai. any countries that is part of GCC will reject persons with fibrosis. I also want to apply in Canada, this holds me back. I guess there is no assurance. I have asked this myself 2years ago.
Hi rmatienzo... I asked my doctor and he cleared me but then I am not sure if Canadian accredited doctors will give me clearance..that is why I am looking for any possibilities to be seen by canadian embassy accredited doctor prior to submission of my documents.. Do you have any idea of these chances? Thanks!!!!

rmatienzo_13

Star Member
Aug 5, 2013
Pampanga
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
Doc's Request.
waiting
Nomination.....
hopeful
IELTS Request
VISA ISSUED...
God be the Glory
LANDED..........
can't wait...
rrn said:
Hi rmatienzo... I asked my doctor and he cleared me but then I am not sure if Canadian accredited doctors will give me clearance..that is why I am looking for any possibilities to be seen by canadian embassy accredited doctor prior to submission of my documents.. Do you have any idea of these chances? Thanks!!!!

hey, no i really don't... had i known i would have done the same thing. Well, I am still looking at the brighter side, there are others who has the same situation but a visa was still issued to them. from what I heard, we might undergo culture testing sputum test and 6mos medication, then repeat medical exams.

pebbles0402

Jun 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-09-2012
Doc's Request.
15-11-2012
Nomination.....
27-02-2013
AOR Received.
28-06-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted together with MPNP application
Med's Request
23-07-2013
Med's Done....
02-08-2013
Passport Req..
07-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-03-2014
rmatienzo_13 said:
hey, no i really don't... had i known i would have done the same thing. Well, I am still looking at the brighter side, there are others who has the same situation but a visa was still issued to them. from what I heard, we might undergo culture testing sputum test and 6mos medication, then repeat medical exams.
Whether you are found to have a history of any lung disease or is currently undergoing treatment for it, it is likely that during your medical examination that will be requested of you by CIC, the accredited clinic/s listed in their website will STILL ask you to undergo the tests that you had from your own clinic. I suggest you just subject yourself to the process and let them ask for the tests when the time comes for you to have your medical examination.

In my experience with my daughter, who is currently undergoing treatment for suspected primary complex, even if she already had chest x-rays from our own pediatrician, SLEC still asked us to get an x-ray for her at their facility because they just want to be sure that their own results will coincide with what our pediatrician found. What they could not repeat was the skin test which was the confirmatory test that sealed our fate that she had PC. They even had us have our child undergo sputum collection for smear and cultures which I found a little over the top, but I guess they just wanted cover all the bases our visa office might ask for later on.

So if you still want to be cleared by another physician regarding your past lung condition, you may do so but the clinic who will be performing your medical exam might repeat all those tests anyway so I suggest you just wait. If you're confident that you have been previously cleared or have been previously treated then you shouldn't have anything to fear.

As of now, we are now almost 2 months into the treatment. When I asked the clinic whether they've submitted an initial report on my daughter, they told me that once treatment is done and the required x-rays and medical certificates are accomplished, they will be submitting her report. She still has 4 months of medication to go and you can guess how long we still have to wait. It is actually not so bad, because if she develops the disease there, it might be more difficult for her to be treated given that the weather there is not very kind to the lungs.

I hope my lengthy sharing provides some light in your query. Thanks and good luck and God bless! ;D

shivanidixit123

Star Member
Mar 4, 2013
Chandigarh
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-March-2013
AOR Received.
7-April-2013
File Transfer...
18 April-2013
Med's Done....
Medical Received on 24th Dec. 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
29-April-2013
VISA ISSUED...
IP - 31st October .... Decision Made - 22nd Feb 2014
LANDED..........
Very soooooooooooooooooon
Hi Everyone,

I am also suffering from TB :( Here's my story:

My husband Filed for my PR in March 2013, medicals were done in February 2013. But, after reviewing my medical reports in embassy they replied that i have a patch in my lungs. As a furtherance, they asked for test such as Montaux, CT Scan whose reports were submitted to the emabassy again. Meanwhile my Doctor conducted Bronchoscopy to confirm my TB which came out to be active. I immediately started with the treatment (DOT). Now again it was a time when embassy again asked for Sputum culture as a second furtherance. I have done the Sputum culture too. The sputum was given when i already had 2 weeks of TB medicine. Now, one of the sources told me that my culture has come out to be negative.

So, my question is

Since my TB is inactive already (3months medicine done) Would i be granted Visa on the basis of Sputum Culture results?

pebbles0402

Jun 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-09-2012
Doc's Request.
15-11-2012
Nomination.....
27-02-2013
AOR Received.
28-06-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Request
23-07-2013
Med's Done....
02-08-2013
Passport Req..
07-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-03-2014
shivanidixit123 said:
Hi Everyone,

I am also suffering from TB :( Here's my story:

My husband Filed for my PR in March 2013, medicals were done in February 2013. But, after reviewing my medical reports in embassy they replied that i have a patch in my lungs. As a furtherance, they asked for test such as Montaux, CT Scan whose reports were submitted to the emabassy again. Meanwhile my Doctor conducted Bronchoscopy to confirm my TB which came out to be active. I immediately started with the treatment (DOT). Now again it was a time when embassy again asked for Sputum culture as a second furtherance. I have done the Sputum culture too. The sputum was given when i already had 2 weeks of TB medicine. Now, one of the sources told me that my culture has come out to be negative.

So, my question is

Since my TB is inactive already (3months medicine done) Would i be granted Visa on the basis of Sputum Culture results?
I am not sure if I am correct, but I have been told by the clinic that serviced us for our ME, more often than not, duration of treatment needs to be finished before being cleared medically then processing will continue. Also at the end of treatment, there will be repeat of tests, such as x-ray and submission of medical certificate of what treatment was done.

In my experience, my daughter is currently undergoing treatment and will be done in January. The clinic will only finalize her medical report when we get her repeat x-ray and submit her medical certificate of her treatment at the end of her medication.

Good luck to you and God bless. I hope this helps. :)

shivanidixit123

Star Member
Mar 4, 2013
Chandigarh
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-March-2013
AOR Received.
7-April-2013
File Transfer...
18 April-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
29-April-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
pebbles0402 said:
I am not sure if I am correct, but I have been told by the clinic that serviced us for our ME, more often than not, duration of treatment needs to be finished before being cleared medically then processing will continue. Also at the end of treatment, there will be repeat of tests, such as x-ray and submission of medical certificate of what treatment was done.

In my experience, my daughter is currently undergoing treatment and will be done in January. The clinic will only finalize her medical report when we get her repeat x-ray and submit her medical certificate of her treatment at the end of her medication.

Good luck to you and God bless. I hope this helps. :)
Thanks for your kind reply dear. I wish a good luck to you for your daughter.
My point is:

The embassy is not aware of my treatment here. They are still into the process of confirming if i have active/inactive TB. According to research i have done so far, Sputum culture is the last test they conduct to confirm if a person has active TB or not. Right? Was your daughter asked to undergo the same test or not? what was the result?

pebbles0402

Jun 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-09-2012
Doc's Request.
15-11-2012
Nomination.....
27-02-2013
AOR Received.
28-06-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Request
23-07-2013
Med's Done....
02-08-2013
Passport Req..
07-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-03-2014
shivanidixit123 said:
Thanks for your kind reply dear. I wish a good luck to you for your daughter.
My point is:

The embassy is not aware of my treatment here. They are still into the process of confirming if i have active/inactive TB. According to research i have done so far, Sputum culture is the last test they conduct to confirm if a person has active TB or not. Right? Was your daughter asked to undergo the same test or not? what was the result?
Yes she was asked to do a sputum test as part of her initial or baseline tests. Her smear came out negative and in October, I will find out the result of the culture because it will take two months for the culture results to come out. At the end of treatment, she will just have to do an x-ray and when clear, they will finalize her medical examination.

Yes you are correct that the sputum test is their gold standard for adults and sometimes they back it up with chest x-rays. If you have undergone treatment, they should ask you for a detailed medical certificate of your treatment from the doctor who treated you so they will know about your treatment. That is what they did for my daughter here as well. I provided the initial medical certificate of her start of treatment and at the end of that, I will be providing another medical certificate that her treatment has ended.

That is my experience here. Good luck to you too and God bless! Thank you for your well wishes. :)

shivanidixit123

Star Member
Mar 4, 2013
Chandigarh
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-March-2013
AOR Received.
7-April-2013
File Transfer...
18 April-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
29-April-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
PTB said:
We already have our visas :)

No further tests done and no medication/s prescribed. He needs to undergo medical surveillance in Canada that he is very much willing to do.
Hi PTB.. Congrats to you for the visa. I still have two and a half month of DOT treatment left for TB. But as per the reports that have been sent to embassy 10 days back were sputum culture negative, cxr stable and the doctor mentioned that TB is inactive now but the treatment is left for another 2 months. What do you think will happen with our case? We would have to keep the treatment going on or will get the visas?

NewlyRn

Oct 27, 2013
Hi..Im new to this site... Im a newly registered nurse. Im on my 2 months treatment. I knew that i had Ptb only last August when i was about to apply in a hospital and i was shocked about my xray result ..im asymptomatic.. Im just worrying if it would ruin my dreams in going abroad specifically in canada :(

ferdzmigz

Star Member
Jan 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
NOC Code......
2131/ FSW backlog reduction pilot
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2013
Nomination.....
26-10-2012 ( BC-PNP )
AOR Received.
15-04-2013
File Transfer...
10-06-2013
Med's Request
10-07-2013
Med's Done....
21--07-2013 w/ furtherance completed 25-10-2013
Passport Req..
10-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-12-2013
LANDED..........
April ' 2014 GOD willing...
hi newlyRn, PTB is not a barrier in pursuing your dreams, its good it was diagnosed early and treated the soonest, just keep all medical records/treatment for future references..